Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

From city site- looks like their is a CID meeting on 5/5 regarding 616- It is possible that demo could begin sooner than July. They still plan to be relocating their 616 offices to the 2nd Flr. Of the Quimby location and expect to have some changes to their Grove St. project, possibly creating a new design with two separate buildings. That project will begin also later this year. Once Quimby is complete and residents move in, the SOBA parking area will be available to the Quimby residents, as per the original agreement with Planning. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2016 at 10:15 AM, ctpgr34 said:

From city site- looks like their is a CID meeting on 5/5 regarding 616- It is possible that demo could begin sooner than July. They still plan to be relocating their 616 offices to the 2nd Flr. Of the Quimby location and expect to have some changes to their Grove St. project, possibly creating a new design with two separate buildings. That project will begin also later this year. Once Quimby is complete and residents move in, the SOBA parking area will be available to the Quimby residents, as per the original agreement with Planning. 

Goes before the BRA (Brownfield) on May 5th, FYI. Apparently there was an old gas station on the site.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

It's official.  Creston Brewrey is open for business, and I think it will be nice addition to the neighborhood.  Though, I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

With 616 building right across the street that can't hurt either.

Food, Beer, Atmosphere are excellent.  The floor to ceiling windows make it a great spot.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2016 at 3:39 PM, mpchicago said:

It's official.  Creston Brewrey is open for business, and I think it will be nice addition to the neighborhood.  Though, I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

With 616 building right across the street that can't hurt either.

Checked it out yesterday, it definitely adds a lot of life to that corner and the beer is pretty good. Now if they could just work on their lousy service. :rofl:  ie just because your wait staff has worked at 5 different places in GR doesn't mean they couldn't stand to be "trained." 

Here's an image of "Quimby Corners" going in across the street. They're seeking approval for metal panels on the backs and sides. Lott3Metz is the architect.

Quimby Corner.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Now if they could just work on their lousy service. :rofl:  ie just because your wait staff has worked at 5 different places in GR doesn't mean they couldn't stand to be "trained."

Amen to that. My wife and I sat at the bar for 45 minutes with no one serving us. Every time we asked, all we got was "Somebody will help you shortly".

Glad to hear the beer is good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prankster said:

Amen to that. My wife and I sat at the bar for 45 minutes with no one serving us. Every time we asked, all we got was "Somebody will help you shortly".

Glad to hear the beer is good. 

It took us 20 minutes to even get someone to even come to our table, and it wasn't that busy. 45 minutes at the bar I would have gone around and poured my own beer.  

I think it's interesting that almost all the beers could be classified as "session ales." I'll give them another try I'm sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Checked it out yesterday, it definitely adds a lot of life to that corner and the beer is pretty good. Now if they could just work on their lousy service. :rofl:  ie just because your wait staff has worked at 5 different places in GR doesn't mean they couldn't stand to be "trained." 

I agree. I feel like previous brewery experience is a great skill to have but they could all be 'brushed up' on their service levels.

I never expect super prompt service in a brewery and will forgive it for the quality of the beer. Good thing they're pushing out tasty beers. 

29 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I agree. I feel like previous brewery experience is a great skill to have but they could all be 'brushed up' on their service levels.

I never expect super prompt service in a brewery and will forgive it for the quality of the beer. Good thing they're pushing out tasty beers. 

Maybe Founders is the gold standard, but I don't think I've ever gone more than 5 minutes without a drink in hand there before someone came up to me and asked if I want another.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Maybe Founders is the gold standard, but I don't think I've ever gone more than 5 minutes without a drink in hand there before someone came up to me and asked if I want another.

Actually I've the opposite experience at Founders lately.  Even at the bar I waited far longer than necessary.  Brought it up to them directly.  They said if it happens again ask for the floor manager.  Hopefully Creston has one too.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

I've heard people say that the service is bad at founders but I've never had that experience. Many of the floor servers recognize me and think I'm a mug club member (but I'm not). Might be the time of day, as I'm rarely there in the evening.

It's the little things like, if you're a server and a table near your section just has water, or nothing, and it's a friggin brewery, don't repeatedly ignore them especially when you're strolling around the place looking bored. Go up and say "has anyone gotten you yet? I'll go get your server." 

I saw a head honcho from GRPS, one of the city managers, and a city commisioner come in while we were there. Hopefully they don't f**k up a good thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arcturus said:

Actually I've the opposite experience at Founders lately.  Even at the bar I waited far longer than necessary.  Brought it up to them directly.  They said if it happens again ask for the floor manager.  Hopefully Creston has one too.

With the addition of Greyline and Creston, Founders has lost some of their long-time servers/managers. They're working hard to get the new staff up to snuff with, especially with ArtPrize right around the corner. 

I think Creston will get some of those kinks worked out quickly. I think the beer (Grale and Fox Deluxe!!!) is good and I hear the food is great; those two things should keep them afloat until then. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

With the addition of Greyline and Creston, Founders has lost some of their long-time servers/managers. They're working hard to get the new staff up to snuff with, especially with ArtPrize right around the corner. 

I think Creston will get some of those kinks worked out quickly. I think the beer (Grale and Fox Deluxe!!!) is good and I hear the food is great; those two things should keep them afloat until then. 

GRale was very good. As I mentioned, I like that the beers are low in ABV. 

• Like 1

In regard to the questions about Creston Brewery's service, I think we should be a little careful on this forum to complain about such things.  This is a brand new establishment started by two couples born and raised in GR who have signed their name on the dotted line to a SIGNIFICANT investment, literally everything they have is on the line with this one, including their homes!

This forum is about development in GR.  I say critique away about layout, scope, and architectural design of developments.  Speculate away about prospective developments in various neighborhoods.  But I do not believe this is a restaurant critique forum.  

Also, unless you have brought your complaint or constructive criticism to the owners I do not think it is fair to complain on this forum.

Just sayin...

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, lighthousedave said:

In regard to the questions about Creston Brewery's service, I think we should be a little careful on this forum to complain about such things.  This is a brand new establishment started by two couples born and raised in GR who have signed their name on the dotted line to a SIGNIFICANT investment, literally everything they have is on the line with this one, including their homes!

This forum is about development in GR.  I say critique away about layout, scope, and architectural design of developments.  Speculate away about prospective developments in various neighborhoods.  But I do not believe this is a restaurant critique forum.  

Also, unless you have brought your complaint or constructive criticism to the owners I do not think it is fair to complain on this forum.

Just sayin...

That's exactly why I was more than a bit disappointed Dave. Especially when several of the owners were sitting at a table not far away being totally taken care of. -_-

Should we have made a scene and gone over to the table of owners? Maybe. 

Anyway, moving on. 

• Like 1