Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

3 hours ago, Prankster said:

I looked at that property. The sellers were embroiled in some problem with the buyers. Looks like they may have gotten it worked out. 

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I looked at that property. The sellers were embroiled in some problem with the buyers. Looks like they may have gotten it worked out. 

If I am looking at this correctly, it will be a nice little cluster of new restaurants with the other 2 that have been approved.

1 minute ago, ctpgr34 said:

If I am looking at this correctly, it will be a nice little cluster of new restaurants with the other 2 that have been approved.

Also, I think this is the same Holdings Co that is proposing a restaurant at the Brian's Books location and another one on Ottawa in the Monroe North Business District

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Creston actually goes all the way up to 4 Mile? Does that surprise anyone else? 

http://www.grnow.com/cheshire-village-becoming-cats-meow/

I don't know if that's a new google maps designation, but traditionally the Creston neighborhood runs along Plainfield from Leonard to Knapp, while the Cheshire Business District runs along Plainfield from Knapp to Sligh Blvd.  The neighborhood to the west of Cheshire, all the way to the River, is traditionally call Riverside Garden's. Adding to that, there is also a North Quarter district that encompasses Monroe North, Creston, and Cheshire.  A lot going on...

EDIT:  Turns out the Creston Neighborhood Association HAS indeed swallowed up a good chuck of the north end.  Exciting things going on in my childhood, hood.

hood_GR_creston_800px1-231x300.jpg

Edited by mpchicago

On 2/8/2017 at 11:46 AM, mpchicago said:

I don't know if that's a new google maps designation, but traditionally the Creston neighborhood runs along Plainfield from Leonard to Knapp, while the Cheshire Business District runs along Plainfield from Knapp to Sligh Blvd.  The neighborhood to the west of Cheshire, all the way to the River, is traditionally call Riverside Garden's. Adding to that, there is also a North Quarter district that encompasses Monroe North, Creston, and Cheshire.  A lot going on...

EDIT:  Turns out the Creston Neighborhood Association HAS indeed swallowed up a good chuck of the north end.  Exciting things going on in my childhood, hood.

I grew up on Northlawn which is about four blocks south of three mile.  Back then the merchants around what's now called Cheshire Village called the area something like Northtown, can't remember exactly.  It was fairly descriptive back then but that was sixty years ago.  Creston, or rather Creston Heights as it was called back then, was south of Ann to Leonard.  And before the annexations in the late fifties, we called anything north of three mile or east of Fuller, out in the country.  The name Cheshire comes from a side street of nice houses that branches off of Eleanor west of Plainfield right before Eleanor runs into Plainfield.  

EDIT: Rereading mpchicago's post reminds me of this: Creston Heights and Northtown were merchant organizations back then consisting mostly of merchants along Plainfield.  We didn't really have neighborhood associations back then as far as I can recall with definite borders.  Riverside Gardens was/is the name of the residential subdivision built in the late fifties along where mpchicago describes.         

Edited by walker
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

Really excited about this. Eric, owner of SpeakEZ Lounge, is partnering with Kevin Farhat and Third Coast on this project. Can't wait to see what they do with the food and drink selection at Graydon's.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Really excited about this. Eric, owner of SpeakEZ Lounge, is partnering with Kevin Farhat and Third Coast on this project. Can't wait to see what they do with the food and drink selection at Graydon's.

The beer selection at Graydon's has always been spot on. 

Is Third Coast getting more into restaurants to offset those atrocities on Michigan St? 

1 hour ago, HavingAhoot said:

Oh boy I hope they don't mess with a thing and keep  the food and beer as is. But who knows maybe they will add some faux balconies and grey steel siding. :P  

I don't think they'll mess with the concept much, maybe just add a few items and improve the quality of food a bit.

This weekend also saw the announcement of a Kickstarter campaign to reopen Gaia Cafe in Creston. Address is not mentioned, though there is a building in mind; closing is January 15. From the campaign, they've got bigger things in mind than just restoring the vibe:

"With this amount, we will be able to transform the building space with an open kitchen, up to code bathrooms, outdoor seating, and proper parking spaces. We will also be creating a 'grab and go' station with a full juice and self serve coffee bar. "

The ask is an initial $30k.

23 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Anyone know if anything is still happening with that jazz bar that was had planned on going near the new Citizen restaurant? I think it was supposed  to go in the old Coral Reef building??

The Jazz restaurant was proposed just north of Coral Reef spot. Coral Reef spot has another restaurant that was proposed, not sure what the hold up is on that one.  Jazz one probably on hold until the other 2 restaurants they are opening are completed.

3 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

The Jazz restaurant was proposed just north of Coral Reef spot. Coral Reef spot has another restaurant that was proposed, not sure what the hold up is on that one.  Jazz one probably on hold until the other 2 restaurants they are opening are completed.

The restaurant across from the Garage Bar looks like it's getting pretty far along. But both this and the Brian's Books restaurants seem to be taking a REALLY long time?

The jazz bar is planned for the concrete block building at the back of the lot next to Coral Reef. 

3 hours ago, wmrharris said:

This weekend also saw the announcement of a Kickstarter campaign to reopen Gaia Cafe in Creston. Address is not mentioned, though there is a building in mind; closing is January 15. From the campaign, they've got bigger things in mind than just restoring the vibe:

"With this amount, we will be able to transform the building space with an open kitchen, up to code bathrooms, outdoor seating, and proper parking spaces. We will also be creating a 'grab and go' station with a full juice and self serve coffee bar. "

The ask is an initial $30k.

I don't know how I feel about using Kickstarter to start a business...  If it were some psuedo social innovation/quasi C corp small business than maybe. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The restaurant across from the Garage Bar looks like it's getting pretty far along. But both this and the Brian's Books restaurants seem to be taking a REALLY long time?

The jazz bar is planned for the concrete block building at the back of the lot next to Coral Reef. 

I don't know how I feel abaout using Kickstarter to start a business...  If it were some psuedo social innovation/quasi C corp small business than maybe. 

People use Kickstarter all the time for new products/businesses, but you are usually buying THE product. For example, donate $25, get a $25 gift certificate. This one does seem a little strange. Donate $25, get a meal of your choice? Seems like they could simplify it, give face value gift cards, and do well with people who want to support their local eating spot.

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

People use Kickstarter all the time for new products/businesses, but you are usually buying THE product. For example, donate $25, get a $25 gift certificate. This one does seem a little strange. Donate $25, get a meal of your choice? Seems like they could simplify it, give face value gift cards, and do well with people who want to support their local eating spot.

Joe

I just feel like it's asking for charity/handout to open a business. I can see taking out a loan from a bank, or from family, to start a business. But asking for donations? Either your business is a viable sustainable idea or it's not. 

• Like 1

IIRC, back when Electric Cheetah was getting off the ground, they sold "Cheetah Bucks" that were worth slightly more than you paid for them ($12 value for $10, IIRC), with the stipulation that they wouldn't be redeemable until after they had been open for a certain amount of time. Seemed like a pretty good idea, to me.

5 hours ago, organsnyder said:

IIRC, back when Electric Cheetah was getting off the ground, they sold "Cheetah Bucks" that were worth slightly more than you paid for them ($12 value for $10, IIRC), with the stipulation that they wouldn't be redeemable until after they had been open for a certain amount of time. Seemed like a pretty good idea, to me.

That WAS a good idea.  It's actually pre-selling meals at a discount. That's usually not what most kickstarter programs are though. This one is "slightly" like that but barely. It's "give us money and we'll give you a t-shirt that we bought in bulk.