Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That WAS a good idea.  It's actually pre-selling meals at a discount. That's usually not what most kickstarter programs are though. This one is "slightly" like that but barely. It's "give us money and we'll give you a t-shirt that we bought in bulk.  

The fact that they are asking for money "With the funds we are asking for, we will be able to put our down payment for our loan" seems a little underhanded.

Give us money so we can get more money and if we default then most of the value is gone.  Sounds like they need an accountant to go over their options.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

The fact that they are asking for money "With the funds we are asking for, we will be able to put our down payment for our loan" seems a little underhanded.

Give us money so we can get more money and if we default then most of the value is gone.  Sounds like they need an accountant to go over their options.

They need to beg for money for a down payment for a loan? It's not in the same neighborhood? Being run by someone who used to work there?

I'm actually thinking of creating signs to protest this "feeding at the trough" but I don't have the time. $30,000 would go a long way toward putting some inner city kids into college. In fact it would probably help 6 inner city kids get a two year vocational degree which may lead to some really cool futures for them that they probably (most certainly) wouldn't have otherwise. 

But no let's help support a non viable business plan for a few years before it tanks.

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

They need to beg for money for a down payment for a loan? It's not in the same neighborhood? Being run by someone who used to work there?

I'm actually thinking of creating signs to protest this "feeding at the trough" but I don't have the time. $30,000 would go a long way toward putting some inner city kids into college. In fact it would probably help 6 inner city kids get a two year vocational degree which may lead to some really cool futures for them that they probably (most certainly) wouldn't have otherwise. 

But no let's help support a non viable business plan for a few years before it tanks.

But how else will people get their juice?

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I happen to agree but the reality is that nobody is forcing anyone to fund this kickstarter.  People waste money on the strangest stuff all the time.  If they want to throw their hard earned cash at these folks in the hopes that a vegan joint that failed once will be a success the second time around, who am I to say no?  It's not my idea of a worthwhile investment but then again, kickstarter is full of wacky ideas and there seems to be no end to the people eager to separate themselves from their money to give to them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wingbert said:

I happen to agree but the reality is that nobody is forcing anyone to fund this kickstarter.  People waste money on the strangest stuff all the time.  If they want to throw their hard earned cash at these folks in the hopes that a vegan joint that failed once will be a success the second time around, who am I to say no?  It's not my idea of a worthwhile investment but then again, kickstarter is full of wacky ideas and there seems to be no end to the people eager to separate themselves from their money to give to them.

^^^ I agree.  Not where I'd donate my money, but all's fair to anyone else who wants to.   Whether you get cheetah bucks or restaurant swag, is there really a difference?   If people haven't already donated to inner city college funds before, it's not this kickstarter that's stopping them.

Their closest friends probably tell them all the time, "Oh, you should reopen, everyone I talk to wants Gaia Cafe to come back."  And at least this is one way to gauge whether there's an actual communal interest in having it return.

Checked out Citizen last night for a quick drink before a friend's birthday dinner and it was pretty cool. Just like Pattmost20 said, the tiki drinks were tasty, we didn't order any food but every dish that came by smelled great. The lighting could be a little darker or softer to really give that more intimate tiki vibe. Can't wait to go back and have a full meal there. 

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Checked out Citizen last night for a quick drink before a friend's birthday dinner and it was pretty cool. Just like Pattmost20 said, the tiki drinks were tasty, we didn't order any food but every dish that came by smelled great. The lighting could be a little darker or softer to really give that more intimate tiki vibe. Can't wait to go back and have a full meal there. 

About halfway through our meal they started lowering the lights, made a huge improvement. The lights were way too bight when we first walked in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it sounds like this building at 1330 Plainfield will be taken down and a 4 story senior living community will take its place if it goes through.  I really like this building.

Also rumor on the street is that 616 is looking to sell the 2 properties where they were going to build on Plainfield.  SHOCKER.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.36.41 AM.png

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

Unfortunately it sounds like this building at 1330 Plainfield will be taken down and a 4 story senior living community will take its place if it goes through.  I really like this building.

Also rumor on the street is that 616 is looking to sell the 2 properties where they were going to build on Plainfield.  SHOCKER.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.36.41 AM.png

The "reimagined" 616 Development is working on a couple of new projects. One of them is supposed to be made public soon apparently.  They sold off all of the apartment management arm to an out-of-the-area company, to go back to focusing on development. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 12:51 PM, GRDadof3 said:

The "reimagined" 616 Development is working on a couple of new projects. One of them is supposed to be made public soon apparently.  They sold off all of the apartment management arm to an out-of-the-area company, to go back to focusing on development. 

The building on Quimby near Plainfield has been torn down,  Not sure if that means progress on the 616 project or just pressure to tear the eyesore down.

25 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

The building on Quimby near Plainfield has been torn down,  Not sure if that means progress on the 616 project or just pressure to tear the eyesore down.

Noticed that also. Thought it was a strange time to start something that was delayed so long. Though maybe demolition is slow right now?

On 1/22/2018 at 11:40 AM, ctpgr34 said:

Might not happen.. The developer, P.S. Equities, has their eye on turning this into a senior living community, but only if they receive LIHTC. If they can't get the credits, they'll abandon the project. As currently proposed, the property would have 40 something units and the ground floor would primarily house a large community room for resident activities.  Neighborhood support by Creston businesses & residents is quite mixed. The biggest concern is, of course, lack of parking. Only 30 or so spots are in the plan. Is there really a market in Grand Rapids for seniors to ditch their homes and cars in favor of a small apartment and a bicycle?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 8:25 AM, GRDadof3 said:

The whole site is cleared and the construction fence is up, with First Companies' sign on it. Wonder if it's the same design as the last one passed around here? 

57c57a5639d34_QuimbyCorner.thumb.JPG.dc7

Supposedly a new design, they are working through options.

I grabbed the off of a Facebook Creston Neighborhood Association post.
Also,  the post itself. Anyone have any thoughts to it?

"The areas shaded blue in this map are subjected to new zoning standards in recommendations the City Commission is considering now.

Under the new zoning recommendations, property owners would be permitted to
. Build 2-8 row house or townhouse units
. Build multi-family condos and apartments
within 500 ft of a business district (the areas shaded blue) BY-RIGHT*.

The proposed changes would also allow for narrowing the required building width; increasing the number of units that could be built as long as 30% of the units are affordable; allowing accessory dwelling units to be built by-right.

*By-right means the property owner has the right to this type of building (still subject to other zoning and building codes). The types of building allowed by-right in these recommendations are currently allowed in the City of GR, but only through a process that includes public input."

zoning.jpg

Edited by sudoclam
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you can call this Creston/Cheshire Village news. This little church at 445 Knapp is looking to be converted into 5 dwelling units and a new building constructed with an additional 9 dwelling units. On the PC agenda. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/445+Knapp+St+NE,+Grand+Rapids,+MI+49505/@42.9990114,-85.6578693,15z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x8819ac69418f0039:0x9be42409499792f6!2s445+Knapp+St+NE,+Grand+Rapids,+MI+49505!3b1!8m2!3d42.999348!4d-85.657907!3m4!1s0x8819ac69418f0039:0x9be42409499792f6!8m2!3d42.999348!4d-85.657907

• Like 1