Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

I thought this was in here but here is a image of the apartments next to the church on Knapp, west of Plainfield20190125_102722.thumb.jpg.25198779ae1a2b41eb2bdbbc5488cfe1.jpg

I hadn't seen renderings of this before, but like what I see so far.  Of course, the devil is in the details.   Can I trust that there will be no vinyl siding?

Edited by mpchicago

5 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I hadn't seen renderings of this before, but like what I see so far.  Of course, the devil is in the details.   Can I trust that there will be no vinyl siding?

The church is going to be really cool when renovated. This project is coming along quickly and think it fits in well with the rest of the neighborhood. 

Joe

347 and 357 Knapp would be a great spot to do a similar project. Keep the 2 story building, knock the rest down, build housing. It recently sold or was taken off the market (can’t tell, but the for sale sign is still up). It’s a block away from the church. 

I really love this area- a lot of potential. Lots of bungalows with interesting details. 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Looks like the old Red Ball Jet location might be getting some new life.

A co-worker said he recently saw lights and possible work happening in the space. 

Also early Feb. it was sold to 1431 PLAINFIELD LLC for $540,000.   Anyone have info?

Super curious about this project. This space has been dying to have something open up back in it. I'll ask some friends that live nearby if they've heard/seen anything. 

On 3/5/2019 at 8:48 AM, thebeerqueer said:

Super curious about this project. This space has been dying to have something open up back in it. I'll ask some friends that live nearby if they've heard/seen anything. 

All I have heard is American Fare restaurant

• Like 2

On 9/4/2018 at 2:14 PM, JimInGR said:

Would be a shame though if this was built and we still had the Cina Mini and Adult video store across the street.

My brother attended some kind of meeting of the Creston Neighborhood Association last night and sent me an e-mail asking if I knew anything about a development regarding the Cina Mini block.   After their main topic of discussion at the meeting, pot dispensaries,  two people,   Robert McCurren and his brother Trent McCurren, gave a presentation about developing the property between the Cina-Mini and the old Creston Medical Building.  It sounds like they either own or have an option on that property (actually two houses.)  My brother also said he thinks they intend to acquire the Cina Mini building and redevelop that property too.  I don't know if they firmly said that or if that is just my brother's speculation.  He also wrote that they  listed a bunch of impressive partners;  Jon Carlson, Greg Lobdell, and Liz Marek, and also Kevin McCurren (their father.)  Most of these people I think are involved in the restaurant business.

So I e-mailed my brother back and said I knew nothing.  Anybody know more than me?

3 hours ago, walker said:

My brother attended some kind of meeting of the Creston Neighborhood Association last night and sent me an e-mail asking if I knew anything about a development regarding the Cina Mini block.   After their main topic of discussion at the meeting, pot dispensaries,  two people,   Robert McCurren and his brother Trent McCurren, gave a presentation about developing the property between the Cina-Mini and the old Creston Medical Building.  It sounds like they either own or have an option on that property (actually two houses.)  My brother also said he thinks they intend to acquire the Cina Mini building and redevelop that property too.  I don't know if they firmly said that or if that is just my brother's speculation.  He also wrote that they  listed a bunch of impressive partners;  Jon Carlson, Greg Lobdell, and Liz Marek, and also Kevin McCurren (their father.)  Most of these people I think are involved in the restaurant business.

So I e-mailed my brother back and said I knew nothing.  Anybody know more than me?

Lobdell is co-owner of North Peak, doing the project under construction over on Bridge Street.  I know that much and not much else. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sudoclam said:

Well positive speculation. Like that. But sadly, we've been waiting since 2014 for other projects to start.

Hoping it explodes like Bridge Street.

Well my brother e-mailed me again today and he was a little more clear.  I think he got some sleep after he e-mailed me last.  The presentation he wrote about  turns out was for a pot dispensary.   The person that gave the presentation,  Robert McCurren, is a medical doctor from Ann Arbor.  Because he is a doctor, my brother said the emphasis was on the medical aspects of pot.  The doctor's brother,  Trent McCurren, according to my brother, worked as a VP of marketing for Founders but quit that job to work on this venture.   The other people I listed in the earlier post aren't all necessarily partners but may have  only advised them ( of course they might have advised them not to do it - that's what I would do.)  They just incorporated in Michigan late in January with the name RTMC (an acronym of their names) and the two brothers are the only people listed on the incorporation paper.  I'd link a copy here but Nero, the Urbanplanet administrator, has told me in the past that pdf files are a problem.

So what's better for the neighborhood, a dirty book store and theater or a pot dispensary?  I guess whether you now see this as positive speculation and hope it explodes like Bridge Street might depend on your personal vices.    

Edited by walker

1 hour ago, walker said:

Well my brother e-mailed me again today and he was a little more clear.  I think he got some sleep after he e-mailed me last.  The presentation he wrote about  turns out was for a pot dispensary.   The person that gave the presentation,  Robert McCurren, is a medical doctor from Ann Arbor.  Because he is a doctor, my brother said the emphasis was on the medical aspects of pot.  The doctor's brother,  Trent McCurren, according to my brother, worked as a VP of marketing for Founders but quit that job to work on this venture.   The other people I listed in the earlier post aren't all necessarily partners but may have  only advised them ( of course they might have advised them not to do it - that's what I would do.)  They just incorporated in Michigan late in January with the name RTMC (an acronym of their names) and the two brothers are the only people listed on the incorporation paper.  I'd link a copy here but Nero, the Urbanplanet administrator, has told me in the past that pdf files are a problem.

So what's better for the neighborhood, a dirty book store and theater or a pot dispensary?  I guess whether you now see this as positive speculation and hope it explodes like Bridge Street might depend on your personal vices.    

Hmmm, there's a church on that corner of the block and I thought the GR ordinance states that the church would have to sign off on having a dispensary within 1000 feet but I can't quite remember.  They may have already acquired those waivers. 

Edited by thebeerqueer

On 3/8/2019 at 1:50 PM, thebeerqueer said:

Hmmm, there's a church on that corner of the block and I thought the GR ordinance states that the church would have to sign off on having a dispensary within 1000 feet but I can't quite remember.  They may have already acquired those waivers. 

They mentioned in a footnote of a hand-out my brother sent me that they needed waivers from two churches but they didn't indicate if they had them or not. 

EDIT: here is the page from the hand-out that shows the front of their proposed dispensary next to the Cina Mini and includes in small print at the bottom about the need for waivers:

1811763020_1340PlainfieldProposal.png.a73e78240991b31eaf0dcad0761d8f37.png

Edited by walker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Anyone know what's going on at the old Red Ball Jet? Looks like it sold back in February and I've seen some movement inside. Would be great to see another restaurant in there soon. 

Only thing I’ve heard is American Fare with a focus on the cocktail program. No clue who’s behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

Throw Back Monday - 1747 Plainfield NE.   Built in 1958, and expanded in 1963, Daane's ran this location till Dave Daane and Sy VanderKooy leased the space to Damico Foods in the 1970s.   It's now the home of Little Lucy's Cafe.  The building and Cafe are owned by the Vander Kooy family. 

On another note, Danne's also purchased and ran a former A&P store at the Leonard/Fuller Plaza till the 1980s, when Sy VanderKooy bought Danne's out, opening Sy's Market.   Sy's sold to Family Fare, which still runs that location today.   

Screen+Shot+2018-09-20+at+5.35.16+PM.png

• Like 4