Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

On 11/18/2019 at 9:28 AM, mpchicago said:

Just to have someone come in and clean up the place would be a plus.   I can't imagine that they would run any kind of restaurant out of that space, but an update similar to Creston market  would be nice.

Sounds like people with ties to Sovengard purchased it and are looking to convert it into a restaurant.  I hope it works out!!!

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this one happens.....

North End Lofts, formerly Quimby Corner, is proposing to construct a new multi-story (three) mixed use development at 220 Quimby Street Northeast. The development will provide increased density at the site and provide new residential and commercial options for residents and patrons along the Plainfield Corridor in the Creston Neighborhood and within the Creston Business District (the "Project"). The Project will include construction of a new three-story mixed use building that will contain approximately 8,100 sf of first floor retail and commercial space, 18,800 sf of residential space located on the second and third floors comprised of 36 units consisting of 18 studios and 18 one-bedroom apartments.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

North End Lofts, formerly Quimby Corner, is proposing to construct a new multi-story (three) mixed use development at 220 Quimby Street Northeast. The development will provide increased density at the site and provide new residential and commercial options for residents and patrons along the Plainfield Corridor in the Creston Neighborhood and within the Creston Business District (the "Project"). The Project will include construction of a new three-story mixed use building that will contain approximately 8,100 sf of first floor retail and commercial space, 18,800 sf of residential space located on the second and third floors comprised of 36 units consisting of 18 studios and 18 one-bedroom apartments.

Any idea who the developer is?

Joe

On 1/8/2020 at 2:50 PM, ctpgr34 said:

Derek Coppess is back, partnering with others to bring 36 unit one-bedroom market-rate apartments and 7k square feet of ground floor retail to this property.   Neighborhood organization is skeptical, and in addition wants mixed income. 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/partners-plan-mixed-use-project-in-gr-s-creston-neighborhood-but-questions-remain

4eef4a596d38beb0d42ab8ad4da6b7b0_XL.jpg

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Derek Coppess is back, partnering with others to bring 36 unit one-bedroom market-rate apartments and 7k square feet of ground floor retail to this property.   Neighborhood organization is skeptical, and in addition wants mixed income. 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/partners-plan-mixed-use-project-in-gr-s-creston-neighborhood-but-questions-remain

4eef4a596d38beb0d42ab8ad4da6b7b0_XL.jpg

One would hope he would not come back to a spot he messed up before and mess it up again.  He would not be able to do anything in this town if that happened.

2 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Heard on my neighborhood's Facebook group that someone is working on this place at 1634 Coit. Said they were looking to open a coffee shop/bakery but couldn't provide any more information. Anyone know more? Would be interested to see if it is a new concept or an extension. 

08121C58-12B4-41F2-86C2-E747DA684FD4.png

I drove by that place a couple of times in the last few weeks and there's definitely some interior work going on there. Such an interesting spot, perfect for a coffee shop/cafe. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

I drove by that place a couple of times in the last few weeks and there's definitely some interior work going on there. Such an interesting spot, perfect for a coffee shop/cafe. 

On occasion, after Sunday night mass at the Catholic Information Center, my Grandma and I would stop and have ice cream there back in the early 1980's.  Don't recall the name of the shop....  It would be nice to see a cafe open there.  Its a quaint spot. 

3 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

One would hope he would not come back to a spot he messed up before and mess it up again.  He would not be able to do anything in this town if that happened.

The lead developer Brian Pake, tells the Press that "This project is happening."    While I'm not in love with the rendering, it's not bad (as long as I'm not looking at EFIS).   Cross fingers that it happens.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/01/75m-mixed-use-building-proposed-in-grand-rapids-creston-neighborhood.html

Edited by mpchicago

I think the building looks pretty alright.  I wonder if there will be parking or if they'll just used the city lot behind it.

Any news on the former Breakroom and adjacent parcel site?  Wasn't that a 616 deal too?  Noticed someone finally got around to covering up the... uh.. graffiti...

I think it's great he's taking another shot. Seems to me he had a lot of good ideas, but the pure scale of projects he was doing may have gotten the best of him. I still think you have to give credit for a couple of really good projects (and he'll always get extra credit for wrangling the Kendall building from Azzar and doing a nice job on a property most deemed impossible). :)

Joe

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

On occasion, after Sunday night mass at the Catholic Information Center, my Grandma and I would stop and have ice cream there back in the early 1980's.  Don't recall the name of the shop....  It would be nice to see a cafe open there.  Its a quaint spot.

I'm pretty sure it was a Miller's Ice Cream parlor. The other one was on Burton west of Eastern, north side. That one lasted much longer. The Coit shop then turned into Issac's IIRC, a lunch and breakfast spot. I could never see how it survive but it did. Then it just closed up and has sat vacant. It was white until it was painted the drab brown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

So, if I recall correctly, I saw a post about this building on the r/grandrapids some time back with the claim that it was used as a human trafficking spot.

Not trying to lend any validation to any conspiracies, but the poster claimed he was walking past it and saw/heard someone banging on the window and then suddenly disappear behind a black curtain.

Edited by ironyisadeadscene
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

So, if I recall correctly, I saw a post about this building on the r/grandrapids some time back with the claim that it was used as a human trafficking spot.

Not trying to lend any validation to any conspiracies, but the poster claimed he was walking past it and saw/heard someone banging on the window and then suddenly disappear behind a black curtain.

There's a little pull-off on Leonard right near the East Beltline and there are always cars sitting there idling. Different cars, different people in them.  I swear I think they're human traffickers or something fishy is going on. :P

This new project at Quimby has a FB page, for those interested:

https://www.facebook.com/northendlofts/

82043560_174169113988702_730809494960445

14 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RBI/comments/cw1efk/what_is_going_on_at_this_abandoned_diner_in_grand/

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...