Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

46 minutes ago, Winston1206 said:

Weird. That's where they said they were moving Zoko 822. Wonder if they're changing the concept with the move?

The applicant is Geoff Gaskin, who is the owner of Zoko 822. I don't see anything on the application that points to them changing concepts.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Winston1206 said:

Nantucket's production facility near Fuller and Leonard is officially becoming a full retail space (at least that's what it sounds like).  Curious to see what they do with the space since it's so much larger than the original location. 

Looks like the old Seven's Paint just north of Leonard.  Nice win for NE side, and nice way to fill that vacant building.  Plenty of parking, and I would think enough space for patio too.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Coffee shops inside existing businesses don't seem to add much to the neighborhood's vibrancy (see Creston Brewery).

Any movement on the old RBJ location? I know the property is listed for a prohibitive amount, but it seems crazy to let it just sit empty all this time.

As someone who loves coffee and loves within walking distance of Kingma's it's certainly a quality of life improvement for me. 

RBJ has had Mad Grub pizza "coming soon" since we'll before COVID. Seems pretty dead in the water. Same with all the Creston Brewery new ownership rumors. This neighborhood needs some good investment. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

As someone who loves coffee and loves within walking distance of Kingma's it's certainly a quality of life improvement for me. 

RBJ has had Mad Grub pizza "coming soon" since we'll before COVID. Seems pretty dead in the water. Same with all the Creston Brewery new ownership rumors. This neighborhood needs some good investment. 

Creston will now be owned by Saugatuck Brewing. Not sure if it will keep the beer and name or just be another Saugatuck brewing location. 

• Like 1

Just now, HavingAhoot said:

Creston will now be owned by Saugatuck Brewing. Not sure if it will keep the beer and name or just be another Saugatuck brewing location. 

Glad it'll stay a brewery. It's a cool building in a nice location. Honestly, I never liked Creston Brewery. Tried it 3-4 times, and it never really clicked. Maybe it was just me, just kind of had a weird vibe (and never had great service).

Joe

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, grbrit said:

Coffee shops inside existing businesses don't seem to add much to the neighborhood's vibrancy (see Creston Brewery).

Any movement on the old RBJ location? I know the property is listed for a prohibitive amount, but it seems crazy to let it just sit empty all this time.

Switchback Gear Exchange is adding a coffee shop inside their space as well

• 1 year later...

This thread seems pretty dead, but wondering if anyone has heard anything about Dippers that's supposed to be going into the old Subway at Plainfield and Helena?

It's been "coming soon" forever and someone mentioned that they painted over the sign and closed their other temporary location. 

I was not very hyped about it, so kind of hoping something more interesting is moving in instead. 

On 6/1/2022 at 2:02 PM, Winston1206 said:

This thread seems pretty dead, but wondering if anyone has heard anything about Dippers that's supposed to be going into the old Subway at Plainfield and Helena?

It's been "coming soon" forever and someone mentioned that they painted over the sign and closed their other temporary location. 

I was not very hyped about it, so kind of hoping something more interesting is moving in instead. 

I can't speak on Dippers, but I know the project at the former Breakroom and adjacent property is getting close to being proposed again.  Looks like a two story, all residential, meh building.  Why not go for four?  No word on the Plainfield/Quimby project.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:02 PM, Winston1206 said:

After some permit sleuthing, it looks like it's going to be a kabob shop. 616 Kabob Shop applied for a sign permit a few weeks ago. 

Definitely seems more interesting than chicken tenders 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I REALLY hope this actually comes through. Those buildings are such eyesores and this  would really activate that part of Plainfield 

21 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I wondered what was going on with those projects; that one and the one down the street by the brewery. 

Pre-cast panels are interesting. I think the second Icon tower was all pre-cast with brick inlaid and you can't really tell unless you look up close. 

• Like 1

Anyone have any scoops on what's happening with the storefront next to LA Huasteca on Plainfield? I know it was for sale for a while. 

I also saw they just (FINALLY) took the boards off the windows. So someone is doing something with it but haven't heard anything yet. 

Edited by Winston1206
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:30 PM, TheLonesomeHobo said:

There's some construction equipment on the site.  I'm not sure if it's for the demo or just staging for another project.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:56 PM, Winston1206 said:

Anyone have any scoops on what's happening with the storefront next to LA Huasteca on Plainfield? I know it was for sale for a while. 

I also saw they just (FINALLY) took the boards off the windows. So someone is doing something with it but haven't heard anything yet. 

It's LA Huasteca, they are making that into their new dining area.  Kitchen will be the current site.

• 2 months later...