Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

On 7/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, ctpgr34 said:

It's LA Huasteca, they are making that into their new dining area.  Kitchen will be the current site.

I had heard this too, but now there are leasing signs in the window. Maybe they scrapped their expansion plans? Either way, the renovated storefront looks WAY nicer than it did before.

There is also an interesting little shop going in up the street by Fat Boy called Black Cat Bodega. It looks like a quirky shop that will bring some new character to that stretch of Plainfield.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

I had heard this too, but now there are leasing signs in the window. Maybe they scrapped their expansion plans? Either way, the renovated storefront looks WAY nicer than it did before.

There is also an interesting little shop going in up the street by Fat Boy called Black Cat Bodega. It looks like a quirky shop that will bring some new character to that stretch of Plainfield.

I agree with the storefront renovation. Looks so much better. I wish someone would do the same with the rest of that stretch. 

Black Cat Bodega looks interesting. I guess they are a known entity? I think they had a booth at one of the vintage markets and are just striking out on their own. A little niche for the area, but definitely wish them luck.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:36 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I wondered what was going on with those projects; that one and the one down the street by the brewery. 

I remember all the buzz about the one at Quimby and Plainfield in January 2020.  Then I read about the controversial history of the developer (Derek Coppess) and that this was under his new org called "The Establishment Group". After a couple of years with no movement, the Establishment Group's website and social media presence has been scrubbed. AFIK the ownership of the property hasn't changed, but it doesn't look like they are doing anything with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

I agree with the storefront renovation. Looks so much better. I wish someone would do the same with the rest of that stretch. 

Black Cat Bodega looks interesting. I guess they are a known entity? I think they had a booth at one of the vintage markets and are just striking out on their own. A little niche for the area, but definitely wish them luck.

I did talk to the restaurant and they said they decided to keep the one side and lease the other due to low number of employees/help.  The North Quarter is offering basically a 50/50 split on the costs of storefront renovation costs.  They took advantage of it.

2 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

Does anyone know what is going on with the Coral Reef building? It looks like the second floor is currently used for offices of some sort, and there is some sort of ongoing reno on the first floor.

The second floor is a condo or apartment. Not sure what if anything is happening on the ground floor though. 

52 minutes ago, Winston1206 said:

The second floor is a condo or apartment. Not sure what if anything is happening on the ground floor though. 

Thanks for the info. 

The ground-level door was open when i drove by and i could see exposed studs inside. There was also paper covering the windows. I'm not sure how long it has been that way, but it got me curious.

3 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Looks like FlipDog Yoga is closing at the end of the month 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CidnvPDLGi4/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

That stretch of Plainfield seems like it's ripe for development with the housing project planned at the south end of the road. Hopefully something will move into that building 

I never like to see a small business call it quits, but i looked into their classes 2 years ago when i was just getting in to yoga. $22 per class was just too expensive when i get on-demand yoga classes through a fitness app that I already pay for. 

I also think that Sun Title is consolidating their offices out of those multiple spaces on plainfield into a building on Leonard a few blocks away. It would be great to see both spaces get filled quickly. 

On 9/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, RiversideGR said:

Thanks for the info. 

The ground-level door was open when i drove by and i could see exposed studs inside. There was also paper covering the windows. I'm not sure how long it has been that way, but it got me curious.

The owner of the building renovated the upstairs into an apartment and lives there.  Currently he is using the first floor as his carpentry shop

On 9/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, RiversideGR said:

I never like to see a small business call it quits, but i looked into their classes 2 years ago when i was just getting in to yoga. $22 per class was just too expensive when i get on-demand yoga classes through a fitness app that I already pay for. 

I also think that Sun Title is consolidating their offices out of those multiple spaces on plainfield into a building on Leonard a few blocks away. It would be great to see both spaces get filled quickly. 

I heard Sun Title is keeping the Plainfield location for classes or events. 

Edited by ctpgr34
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

The owner of the building renovated the upstairs into an apartment and lives there.  Currently he is using the first floor as his carpentry shop

I heard Sun Title is keeping the Plainfield location for classes or events. 

That's good to know. I am glad they won't sit empty. From what i heard, Sun Title invested a lot in the preservation/renovation of those buildings.

Thanks for setting me straight!

• 2 weeks later...

New mixed-use development proposed for the corner of Quimby and Plainfield in Creston. This is a new developer from the previous proposal that was announced pre-covid.

Hillcrest Apartments -220 Quimby Ave NE

A four-story, 71-unit mixed use development consisting of 49 studios, 19 one-bedrooms, and 3 two-bedroom units.

Transportation: The location is along a current bus route, and current plans call for a nearly 1:1 parking ratio for residences.

Developer: Talbot Development / Pinnacle Construction Group

Timeline: Project is currently in neighborhood outreach/permit application phase. If plans move forward, construction could start in April 2023.

HMJFfi1VZhTHdoQoAmIsMcLz44aKHpw5qFZjYefOPHdzO3bq5ttqy7OIDZSnix1C8zNUG0bUbWsnS8KSYIgl2BlXON-Zdi09-QTgxmHKdss7JX34RMKQy6TPw4wpruiO4iydWzv7CjeD0tWoabB1mcz2vBv3NGQo_uz5dQhqN93joXJZJuwJNPGrdA

aZVpYl5LsW7-C96roX0RuM8vwIVvoEnxrAPiphjSpAW8BWIz5Uq7RzkVO2U8nJua-f9U0CoNY64xPufyW7mGN7ROkfm5VrNtm535O_s5wN-pLuRQXsoVm6jpIx9OcmYqb4lEk4AuCDOa5SYWE59hZ9BtRuYEi-6qBAY_YNKqmSxYBhHwzqSU7tFc4A

Ov4y3QOq13JrfkX6qB-nkRJqFfQY1T-wkSl9udzQ2DaaYpx02g4N_G37rf-W4Nqn21UtdsOO04Wn9slrvZknCQUX-pAFB8RVsAQjc6uQX3fFpbyReJ9Gp_8EE6QI-he53ja-IbqSjqHLwRmyRRoj77WKQbSIpLvfnddZMr2JJkgw1h0RXv3bDnUwMQ

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 12:30 PM, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Someone on facebook said they drove by and fences are up around the old buildings as of yesterday! Seems to be moving forward as planned, but i haven't driven by yet.

Edit to add a couple images of the plans that I hadn't seen before:
May be an image of 4 people and outdoors

May be an image of outdoors

Edited by RiversideGR
added extra pictures
  • Like 2

Lions & Rabbits to close event venue - Grand Rapids Business Journal (grbj.com)

Lions & Rabbits Center for the Arts announced that they will be vacating their current building/event center at 1264 Plainfield and leasing it out. It's a really cool building in a great location. The owner indicated that they have some prospective tenants but nothing set in stone. 

rosebud-venue--696x464.jpeg

4 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

Lions & Rabbits to close event venue - Grand Rapids Business Journal (grbj.com)

Lions & Rabbits Center for the Arts announced that they will be vacating their current building/event center at 1264 Plainfield and leasing it out. It's a really cool building in a great location. The owner indicated that they have some prospective tenants but nothing set in stone. 

rosebud-venue--696x464.jpeg

That too bad but hopefully is has another great life as something else. I got married here and it was exactly what we were looking for.  Hannah and Joey were great

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small bit of housing news for Creston:

2 vacant Grand Rapids properties to be redeveloped into family homes under city proposal - mlive.com

On Tuesday morning, Nov. 1, the Grand Rapids City Commission gave a tentative go-ahead that would allow two developers to build or rehabilitate a family home on each of the two vacant properties – one located at 19 Quimby St. NE

The Quimby location is currently a vacant lot without a home. Under the agreement before city commissioners, nonprofit developer New Development Corporation would have an option to purchase the property for $5,000 with the intent of turning it into a single-family home for sale to people making below 80% area median income.

I like that the city is eying vacant lots for opportunities like this.

Edited by RiversideGR
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

I see the vandals are out, they marked a few of the new trash cans that have been placed throughout the Plainfield corridor.  Can't have nice things :(

Eh, that is just something that happens in cities. The big mistake would be if the trash cans were not constructed with materials that would be easy to clean. I guess we will find out!

On 10/6/2022 at 8:32 AM, RiversideGR said:

New mixed-use development proposed for the corner of Quimby and Plainfield in Creston. This is a new developer from the previous proposal that was announced pre-covid.

Hillcrest Apartments -220 Quimby Ave NE

Looks like they have submitted an application to the planning department for this project. Some additional info from the application:

"Hillcrest Apartments is a mixed use project consisting of approx 1,000sf of retail space and 72 apartments. The building is 4 stories and approx. 45,000 square feet. The unit mix is 49 Micro's (350sf avg.), 20 One bedroom's (475sf avg.), and 3 two bedroom's (1,065sf avg.) The project hopes to secure a coffee shop for the retail space. The project is located at 220 Quimby, at the intersection of Quimby St. and Plainfield Ave. The site is vacant with a pole mounted billboard, the billboard will be removed as part of the redevelopment. The building facade materials will be masonry and aluminium storefront on the ground floor. The upper floors will have fiber cement lap siding, architectural metal or cement board panel, wood look metal siding accents, fiberglass residential windows and aluminum store front. There will be inset and walkout balconies. The building will include a vegetative screen to help meet the greenspace requirement. The project will be energy efficient and is planning a rooftop solar array which will offset the common area utilities. There will be 28 parking spaces on site and the project will lease 40 parking spaces from the adjacent city parking lot. Mobile GR notes that the lot is underutilized and they are excited to lease parking spaces to the development. The site design connects the parking lots for seamless flow. We are including 60 indoor bike parking spaces, in a locked room on the first floor. Additionally, we will be providing bike hooks in the units for the residents who do not feel comfortable storing their bike in a shared arrangement. The project also includes a community room on the 4th floor and a fitness room on the first floor."

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 11:21 AM, RiversideGR said:

Eh, that is just something that happens in cities. The big mistake would be if the trash cans were not constructed with materials that would be easy to clean. I guess we will find out!

drove by one today and I am guessing the city, painted over them.  In a different color :/

Interesting little development on the corner of Diamonds and Country Club Drive (east of the golf course). The intersection is a weird little ghost town of commercial buildings. Looks like they’ll be tearing down an old contaminated gas station site. Nice infill for that neighborhood. 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/8m-north-gr-apartment-project-among-recipients-of-state-brownfield-grants

FE4A7930-E051-45D1-BC23-3AAFFDB63037.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting little development on the corner of Diamonds and Country Club Drive (east of the golf course). The intersection is a weird little ghost town of commercial buildings. Looks like they’ll be tearing down an old contaminated gas station site. Nice infill for that neighborhood. 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/8m-north-gr-apartment-project-among-recipients-of-state-brownfield-grants

FE4A7930-E051-45D1-BC23-3AAFFDB63037.jpeg

Another blighted Creston building being developed! Between the Breakroom development and this, the neighborhood is going to look quite different soon it seems like 

• Like 4