Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

2 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Another blighted Creston building being developed! Between the Breakroom development and this, the neighborhood is going to look quite different soon it seems like 

The Break Room is no more! I drove by this morning and it's just a pile of rubble now.

You know which property I think would be amazing for redevelopment? the Burger King on Plainfield. I would love to see it replaced with a mixed-use building. it's right across from a grocery store, walkable to local businesses, and located on a bus route. I know it probably isn't realistic, but I can dream, can't I?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

The Break Room is no more! I drove by this morning and it's just a pile of rubble now.

You know which property I think would be amazing for redevelopment? the Burger King on Plainfield. I would love to see it replaced with a mixed-use building. it's right across from a grocery store, walkable to local businesses, and located on a bus route. I know it probably isn't realistic, but I can dream, can't I?

Woah! I drove by Breakroom just like a day or two ago and it was still there. That was quick. 

Agree with Burger King. There's a time and place for fast food, but that doesn't seem like a good location for something like that. Seems like a great corner for a multiuse building

• Like 1

Locally, Burger King seems to be killing itself off. 20 years ago there were probably a dozen or more, now I can think of four, none of which have had much investment in the last decade.  Granted not my top destination, but it seems odd how fast they disappeared. So your wish my become reality sooner or later. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

Locally, Burger King seems to be killing itself off. 20 years ago there were probably a dozen or more, now I can think of four, none of which have had much investment in the last decade.  Granted not my top destination, but it seems odd how fast they disappeared. So your wish my become reality sooner or later. 

I enjoy a whopper, but it seems universally service levels at BK has dropped off.  

Trivial historic note about the BK:  

When I was growing up in the neighborhood in the fifties, where that Burger King is at the corner of Plainfield and Eleanor  was the location of a Desoto and Plymouth dealership,   Van Andel & Flikkema.  The Van Andel was James Van Andel who was Jay Van Andel's father.      

Edited by walker

3 hours ago, walker said:

Trivial historic note about the BK:  

When I was growing up in the neighborhood in the fifties, where that Burger King is at the corner of Plainfield and Eleanor  was the location of a Desoto and Plymouth dealership,   Van Andel & Flikkema.  The Van Andel was James Van Andel who was Jay Van Andel's father.      

Very cool. I found some picture of it...looks like a neat building, i wish it was still around!

No photo description available. 

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Article about the proposed development at Plainfield and Quimby:

Developer plans 72-unit mixed-use apartment project in GR’s Creston neighborhood (mibiz.com)

“I look at a project and think I ought to be designing it as a 100-year commitment,” Talbot said. “I want to make sure it’s done as well as I can do it, and have it be future-focused, not just whatever is the cheapest way to do it today.”

Construction on Hillcrest Apartments could tentatively start by the end of April 2023 and wrap up by the summer of 2024, Talbot said. Grand Rapids-based Pinnacle Construction Group Inc. is designing and building the project. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Some additional renderings of the new building on Quimy/Plainfield

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.20.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.20.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.20.36 AM.png

I saw those in the planning commission packet. It reminds me of a suburban hotel. I hope the rendering isn’t indicative of the materials being used IRL. The layout seems nice, just hoping it doesn’t end up looking like a Residence Inn. :)

Joe

11 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

That rendering makes Stonesthrow look even more dated than it already does. Maybe just a non brown paint job would fix it? Doubtful, but hopeful for something.

The stones throw has a beautiful facade underneath that I’d love to see them uncover. Shockingly, they put that up in the early 2000s (maybe late 90s?). Looks like something people did during the urban renewal back in the sixties. Stones throw is a pretty cool furniture store, they need to put on their A game with the facade. 

Joe

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 10:56 AM, joeDowntown said:

The stones throw has a beautiful facade underneath that I’d love to see them uncover. Shockingly, they put that up in the early 2000s (maybe late 90s?). Looks like something people did during the urban renewal back in the sixties. Stones throw is a pretty cool furniture store, they need to put on their A game with the facade. 

Joe

the stone exterior on the first floor is cool, is that what is beneath the second-floor facade?

This article is amusing. Not much new news, other than they received some grants/tax credits. The writer seems to talk more about the stuff he couldn't get answers for than any new information. :) Still, seems like it's moving forward!

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/11/new-24m-market-rate-apartment-building-planned-for-grand-rapids-neighborhood.html

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like it's been owned by North Town Gateway LLC for a long time.  I see a billboard on the property, maybe it's a long-term investment that collects rent from the billboard co. 

Kind of a weird spot, but you are correct, built with site lines in mind, it'd have a pretty cool view of downtown.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...