Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

MiBiz put out a good article about Creston's rebound after several failed developments. 

Original linkGR neighborhood rebounds from failed developments with new sense of optimism (mibiz.com)

Link that may help you avoid the paywall12ft | GR neighborhood rebounds from failed developments with new sense of optimism

Also includes some updates about the Franklin Partners project on Monroe:

The two mixed-use projects have created some momentum, and the neighborhood association also has been hearing from more developers recently, Hampshire said. That includes a major, long-planned redevelopment of a former industrial building that could connect the Creston Business District to the river.

Grand Rapids- and Oak Brook, Ill.-based Franklin Partners LLC is in the process of revisiting plans for vacant property the firm has owned since 2015 at 1340 North Monroe Ave. NW, between the business district and the Grand River. Several different developers in the past have pursued unsuccessful plans to redevelop the massive former Display Pack Inc. building. Franklin Partners now plans to serve as the developer for the property, said Don Shoemaker, a principal with Franklin Partners.

“We’re excited,” Shoemaker said. “It’s a great connection with the river redevelopment and what’s going on in the Creston Neighborhood. We went back to the drawing board and came up with new plans, and think it’s a really attractive project.”

Shoemaker did not disclose details of the plan, but he said it will be a residential project.

“We bought it without exactly knowing what it would become, but we really liked the location,” Shoemaker said. “We’ll be taking a big, empty industrial building and bringing new life and people to the neighborhood.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RiversideGR said:

MiBiz put out a good article about Creston's rebound after several failed developments. 

Original linkGR neighborhood rebounds from failed developments with new sense of optimism (mibiz.com)

Link that may help you avoid the paywall12ft | GR neighborhood rebounds from failed developments with new sense of optimism

Also includes some updates about the Franklin Partners project on Monroe:

Interesting. Glad to see Franklin Partners is back in the mix for the old Display Pak factory. I think they've done some really good developments in Grand Rapids. 

Love to see the investment in the Creston area. It has some great old buildings, and with a little more density, I think it'll be a great anchor the near north side of the city.

Joe

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting. Glad to see Franklin Partners is back in the mix for the old Display Pak factory. I think they've done some really good developments in Grand Rapids. 

Love to see the investment in the Creston area. It has some great old buildings, and with a little more density, I think it'll be a great anchor the near north side of the city.

Joe

I noticed that Franklin also shared the post on social media and said they "look forward to announcing our plans soon". Seems promising but who knows. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

I thought it only sold last year and was potentially going to be developed for housing...anyone have any info?

I work across the street.  The last news I heard was that furniture company was moving into it part of it as office space, and they had planned to to significant modification.   Their plan went before the Planning Commission, was approved, . . . . and then nothing happened (COVID19?)

Being next to it we've been eager to see something happen, but there's no activity there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitemice said:

I work across the street.  The last news I heard was that furniture company was moving into it part of it as office space, and they had planned to to significant modification.   Their plan went before the Planning Commission, was approved, . . . . and then nothing happened (COVID19?)

Being next to it we've been eager to see something happen, but there's no activity there.

Interesting. IIRC, they got approval during Covid. Surprised this didn't happen, but it's also to good of a target to not see redevelopment of some sort soon. I'd like the see them rip the newer portion off (and potentially develop that intersection separately, with apartments in the original building(s).

Joe

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting. IIRC, they got approval during Covid. Surprised this didn't happen, but it's also to good of a target to not see redevelopment of some sort soon. I'd like the see them rip the newer portion off (and potentially develop that intersection separately, with apartments in the original building(s).

Joe

between this building and the old DisplayPak building, there's gigantic amount of potential housing in a few years up there...

• Like 3

If you read the listing the the Baler Furniture building, it actually says:

The subject building shares a party wall with an industrial warehouse building that is currently undergoing a modern and hip restoration into the world headquarters of MiEN Company, which is an education focused furniture manufacturer. The facility will be used to showcase and warehouse product, as well as include office space..”

It does seem like there’s been a long delay on Mien moving there, but I think they always intended to partner / sell the rest of the building for residential redevelopment. 

Joe

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

If you read the listing the the Baler Furniture building, it actually says:

The subject building shares a party wall with an industrial warehouse building that is currently undergoing a modern and hip restoration into the world headquarters of MiEN Company, which is an education focused furniture manufacturer. The facility will be used to showcase and warehouse product, as well as include office space..”

It does seem like there’s been a long delay on Mien moving there, but I think they always intended to partner / sell the rest of the building for residential redevelopment. 

Joe

Wow. There was some interesting stuff in that listing text. They are planning to do some modernization to the facade of the industrial portion which is good. 

this rendering also looks like there are new build condos along the riverfront side of the warehouse too

image.thumb.jpeg.596750b674f441f2df57f74ab134af71.jpeg

• Like 3

The north end of the building is now at 3 stories. Still kind of in awe at how fast they are moving. 

It looks like the commercial space next to Rez Lounge has leased. The windows are all covered so I’m interested to learn what it will be used for.  I also noticed that the old Sun Title offices have been divided into several tenant spaces. Will be interesting to see what goes in there too…CEA0992F-253B-4DCB-AA2D-677F2B80F84A.thumb.jpeg.02b5923cd061330f8d3153c42ee7207a.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Amazing how fast pre-fab panel construction goes up. On the fourth story (top floor) already. From the rendering, it looks like they'll paint the upper floors dark gray with brick accents:

IMG_0093.jpg

I'm really enjoying this transformation - I wonder if they already have a prospective tenant for the commercial space. From the permit records, it looks like they could start moving dirt on the Quimby/Plainfield site in as soon as a couple of weeks.

33 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

I'm really enjoying this transformation - I wonder if they already have a prospective tenant for the commercial space. From the permit records, it looks like they could start moving dirt on the Quimby/Plainfield site in as soon as a couple of weeks.

Is there commercial space? That first floor so far has openings like the ones above for windows and PTAC mechanical units. Seems like ground floor residential.

8 minutes ago, numstead said:

Is there commercial space? That first floor so far has openings like the ones above for windows and PTAC mechanical units. Seems like ground floor residential.

yeah the southern end at the corner of Grove and Plainfield will be a commercial space. that portion hasn't been constructed yet.  An article said it's a 3,275-square-ft retail space.

Grand Rapids OKs tax incentives for Lofts on Grove, 280 Ann | Crain's  Detroit Business

There's a interior demo permit submitted for the commercial building at 1590 Plainfield. Not a ton of information but indicates that the future use of the building will be "retail".
image.png.fb82ef586efbac749e98444345c722ea.png

It looks like the building has been vacant for quite some time. A facade was removed in 2020 or 2021 exposing the original masonry.

Google streetview from November 2020:
image.png.be5e8765e99664f09c79b48f6c33839d.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

There's a interior demo permit submitted for the commercial building at 1590 Plainfield. Not a ton of information but indicates that the future use of the building will be "retail".
image.png.fb82ef586efbac749e98444345c722ea.png

It looks like the building has been vacant for quite some time. A facade was removed in 2020 or 2021 exposing the original masonry.

Google streetview from November 2020:
image.png.be5e8765e99664f09c79b48f6c33839d.png

Retail wine and floral shop with onsite consumption is plan I have seen.  Extensive remodel to the building interior/exterior.  Hope it works out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/27/2023 at 9:09 PM, RiversideGR said:

Wow. There was some interesting stuff in that listing text. They are planning to do some modernization to the facade of the industrial portion which is good. 

this rendering also looks like there are new build condos along the riverfront side of the warehouse too

image.thumb.jpeg.596750b674f441f2df57f74ab134af71.jpeg

for those interested, it looks like MiEN is offering a tour of the Baker building next week.

Link to register: Michigan (a4le.org)

also included an additional rendering for the corner of Ann and Monroe:
MiEN Landing

• Like 2