Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

You are right, the light placement is not quite right, but with that said, what an improvement!   They certainly got the "in look" of the white facade with black window frames.   Hopefully, they will have some nice big planters out in the next couple of weeks.  It could use some greening...but we could all go for some greening right now!  #worstspringever.

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mpchicago said:

You are right, the light placement is not quite right, but with that said, what an improvement!   They certainly got the "in look" of the white facade with black window frames.   Hopefully, they will have some nice big planters out in the next couple of weeks.  It could use some greening...but we could all go for some greening right now!  #worstspringever.

You're right that would look nice against that white.

Since the lights are probably drilled/wired through the brick they're probably going to have to lower the signs now and not move the lights up. :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mpchicago said:

at night

20180424_073633.jpg

20180424_073654.jpg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Anyone knows what's going on at this storefront on Plainfield? Right next to the Super Thrift. Looks like they've been working on the facade for a few days. 

7694DC46-73CF-4383-B294-AA2DA3EC2D4C.jpeg

Don't know what's going on with it now but this was another building that started out as a neighborhood movie theater.  It was originally called the Fairmount, and then later the Roxy.  Blessed Sacrament Church used the building a couple of years right after WW2 before they built their church and school over on Diamond  then it sat empty for a number of years.  When I was a kid I used to ride my bike down there and around the back alley and try to soak up some of the leftover Hollywood magic.  Around 1960 when I was in junior high it had been converted to a roller rink that had a pretty bad reputation.  I went there a few times on Friday nights.  Apparently my parents didn't know about the reputation.

Here's a link that tells more about it (although a couple of comments are not correct.)  If you scroll down there are some old neat news photos including one that shows the current Super Thrift when it was a Kroger Supermarket:

2150 Plainfeild  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sudoclam said:

Did 616 Development flat-line? I see 1331 Plainfield NE has turned hands to North Town Real Estate. Also no movement since demolition, last winter, of the buildings across from Creston Brewery.

You didn't know that? Company was basically disbanded last year or year before, the property management arm was bought out by an out-of-the-area company. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

You didn't know that? Company was basically disbanded last year or year before, the property management arm was bought out by an out-of-the-area company. 

I knew something had transpired, but I thought they were still involved. Who demolished the buildings?

21 hours ago, sudoclam said:

I knew something had transpired, but I thought they were still involved. Who demolished the buildings?

The new developer I assume. I know Derek Coppess is launching a new development company, he may use the old name too. Haven't talked to him in over a year about it. 

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The new developer I assume. I know Derek Coppess is launching a new development company, he may use the old name too. Haven't talked to him in over a year about it. 

What I've been told is that the 2 buildings on Plainfield have 3 offers on it (being sold as one ).  The Quimby project is supposedly a go by First Companies once they lock in some retail on the ground floor.

10 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Rumor from my friends that live in Creston, is that the new BBQ place next to Quinn and Tuites is pretty tasty.  Anybody here try it yet? 

Yes  It is great, if you have been to the Main St BBQ in Lowell, same owner.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Yes  It is great, if you have been to the Main St BBQ in Lowell, same owner.

3 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Been to the one in Lowell, it is really tasty.

Two recommendations in less than 40 minutes ... I'm definitely making my way over there! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HavingAhoot said:

Anyone know what is going in on the corner of Quimby and Plainfield, across from Creston Brewery?

Per the city:

New 4 story mixed use building, slab on grade, steel & wood structure, 59,400 total finished SF, retail on ground level, commercial offices on 2nd floor and residential apts. on 3rd & 4th levels. 44 Total Apts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

4 story mixed use building being built by First Companies. 44 apts. 

1 hour ago, HavingAhoot said:

Anyone know what is going in on the corner of Quimby and Plainfield, across from Creston Brewery?

Last I heard they were waiting to break ground until the secured some retail on first floor.  Has there been movement on this front?