Whats going in Old Chinese Buffet On Woodruff

wolfgame

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ni Hao (Hello). I drive by it almost daily but couldn't tell you what it's going to be!

As previously mentioned by citylife on the Construction Thread for The Point http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/23537-construction-thread-the-point/page__st__340, I believe this is to become a La Parrilla Mexican Restaurant, the first location in South Carolina and the second one outside of the home state of Georgia. (The first was Dothan AL.) Constructions bids went out back in the middle of April. This is the former Bob Evans location, before it was Ni Hao (which, by the way, has moved to Orchard Park Dr.).

Speaking of Woodruff Rd., did you see that the new Table 24(formerly Fatz) is being annexed into Mauldin so they can have Sunday alcohol sales? Something's just not right about this IMHO.

It's Tavern 24 and what doesn't seem right about it?

It's happened all over the state. Greenville should have annexed Woodruff Road further down but they stopped at Greenridge. They probably didn't want to include the older part of the street and the infrastructure improvements that would follow. They probably made the right choice as Verdae takes off and the area between Greenridge and Laurens fills up.

Seeing as this already has gone waaay off topic, I will add my two cents worth. According to some reports, the City of Mauldin approached Cafe Enterprises (the Fatz people), offering no incentive other than the Sunday alcohol sales that are already allowed within the city limits. The real genius in the city's move is that, along with the Tavern 24 property and a ten-foot-wide strip of Woodrudd Rd. to attach to it, Mauldin also is annexing a 10-foot-wide strip of land extending further eastward along Woodruff Rd. to the I-385 interchange. The city thus is poised to move across the highway in the future and pick up the valuable commercial properties on the east side of the interstate. In doing this, the City of Mauldin also effectively blocks the City of Greenville from making that very same move.

Could the City of Greenville have made the same annexations? Yes, easily. The Lieu's property is already within the Greenville City Limits, connected by a narrow strip that runs behind Monterrey's, meaning the city was well positioned to annex either the Fatz property or Fuddruckers, or both. While Greenville still could annex Fuddruckers, the move would gain the city nothing, since Mauldin's annexation of that strip of Woodruff Rd. would block any further advancement.

Mauldin's shrewd annexation also prevents Greenville from crossing over Woodruff Rd. and annexing the commercial properties on the south side along Park Woodruff Dr., including the Hampton Inn, HH Gregg etc. Now Mauldin can make that move whenever the opportunity arises.

At least that's the way I see it.

Archived