50 Monroe to get de-skinned?

GRDadof3

This is seriously like opening a Christmas present. Can I buy tickets to come down and watch?!

Like I said in another thread, if they could re-skin ICCF/D.A. Blodgett building, they can do anything. 

And it looks like some pretty awesome materials on the east side of the building. From pictures, the west facade reminds me a bit of Kendall's building that faces Ottawa.

If someone said "they're pulling off another section right now" I would jump from my chair and speed across town. ;)

Joe

• Like 4

Would love to see old pics! Scan away. 

Not to be a dork, but I find this to be so exciting / fascinating. How many times can you add historic structures BACK to the streetscape as opposed to just weeping when you hear the words "urban renewal". :)

I hope they are as lucky with the rest of the building as they have been on the corners.

Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x99 said:

I haven't gone to see this in person, but they appear to be cutting it out with a reciprocating saw or something.  Those don't exactly look like nice clean cuts where the material can just be put back up....

Was thinking the same thing. If they hit a point where it looks bad, I don't know if there is really any turning back. :)

Joe

8 hours ago, x99 said:

I haven't gone to see this in person, but they appear to be cutting it out with a reciprocating saw or something.  Those don't exactly look like nice clean cuts where the material can just be put back up....

Last Friday I ignored the closed sidewalk sign and was walking by when they were making the first attempts at tearing off the panels by the Chic Cosmetology corner.  I don’t know what the tool was they were using but their method looked pretty crude, not at all like a well thought out engineering project.  It looked like how I’d do it with inappropriate tools I found in my garage.  But looking at these later photos, it looks like they’ve got a system now.

I was headed to Elliot’s which I think may be the last business left in the building.  That’s a business I wouldn’t want to have.  It’s not like selling magazines, newspapers and tobacco products is a growing business anyway and now all the building tenants that used to stop by are gone and his parking out front has been messed up for months.  He’s still got the lotto machine though.             

1 hour ago, walker said:

Last Friday I ignored the closed sidewalk sign and was walking by when they were making the first attempts at tearing off the panels by the Chic Cosmetology corner.  I don’t know what the tool was they were using but their method looked pretty crude, not at all like a well thought out engineering project.  It looked like how I’d do it with inappropriate tools I found in my garage.  But looking at these later photos, it looks like they’ve got a system now.

I was headed to Elliot’s which I think may be the last business left in the building.  That’s a business I wouldn’t want to have.  It’s not like selling magazines, newspapers and tobacco products is a growing business anyway and now all the building tenants that used to stop by are gone and his parking out front has been messed up for months.  He’s still got the lotto machine though.             

Elliot's used to carry "The Hockey News" so I used to go over there to get my copies frequently. Haven't seen in there in years,  so if I need my snack fix downtown, I just go to Zellers now.

8 hours ago, walker said:

I believe Townsquare Media is still in there too

Drove by today and they had a bit more of the building ripped up. You can also tell that they've gutted a lot of the interior. On the Northeast side of the building, looking through the newer window system, you can see outlines of other windows. So I think they've demo'ed the drywall etc. that squared these off. Looking closely, you can see there is some damage where they chipped at the stone to put in the metal "brackets" for the facade, and at the top of the pic it looks like they hacked off some cornice work, but it looks to be a pretty awesome facade. 

On the south side, you can see where they weren't even bothered to pull down some of the metal trim. 

IMG_3284.JPG

Joe

• Like 3

5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Drove by today and they had a bit more of the building ripped up. You can also tell that they've gutted a lot of the interior. On the Northeast side of the building, looking through the newer window system, you can see outlines of other windows. So I think they've demo'ed the drywall etc. that squared these off. Looking closely, you can see there is some damage where they chipped at the stone to put in the metal "brackets" for the facade, and at the top of the pic it looks like they hacked off some cornice work, but it looks to be a pretty awesome facade. 

On the south side, you can see where they weren't even bothered to pull down some of the metal trim. 

Joe

I used to be skeptical of this project, but now that it's happening I'm fascinated.  It's like watching a metamorphosis.

how-does-a-caterpillar-turn-into-a-butterfly.jpg

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, kevin8gr said:

Here's a photo I have from 1982 parade looking down towards 50 Monroe. I hope if they do take off all the siding that the north sides of the buildings will look better than in this photo.

6903270966_ccda8ae37c_o.jpg

I've seen those sides before. That's probably why they "skinned" them to begin with. The SW side of 50 Louis used to be pretty rough though. 

50%20Louis%20GR3.png

• Like 2

I would suspect that the atrium between the buildings is staying in some form, and it looks like a more regular grid of windows may have been cut into the sides during the recladding, so I'm guessing that it will look better than that, but still clearly look like the side of the building. Very excited to finally see this happening.

• Like 1

The original photos of the Helmer building in the mLive article are great.  It's always amazing to me how beautiful they used to make buildings... just because it was pleasing to the eye as you walked around. We think a lot of the old buildings today are fairly ornate, but the decorate elements left on the cornices and rooflines of many are often just a shadow of what was originally built.  If only they could put it all back...

ArtWorkofGR1896Parish.jpg

• Like 3