50 Monroe to get de-skinned?

GRDadof3

The biggest issue I have with these renderings is that the windows are historically inaccurate, detracting from the buildings in a big way.  I hope the actual windows will be historically accurate, double hung with the appropriate mullions.  It also appears they will not be adding back the architectural cornice that adorned the taller portion of the "Helmer" building. 

I also see they have come up with something to fix the damage done to the Helmer building that faces the Venue, but it's hard to see from the rendering provided.

All in all, I'm happy that they are doing this, but make sure the windows are architectural accurate please!

The Press also mentioned that CWD and Gilmore have been unable to come to an agreement on how to handle the alley that adjoins the two properties.  

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

So then is the plan to just renovate the buildings and not have an addition on the lot next to them? Or are we to expect a rendering with that included in the future?

5 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

So then is the plan to just renovate the buildings and not have an addition on the lot next to them? Or are we to expect a rendering with that included in the future?

CWD says they would like to develop the parking lot at Monroe and Louis in the future.  I don't think we can expect renderings/plans for that anytime soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really like to see them get moving on de-skinning again. This is in a recent packet, not sure if it was posted before. Cool to have strung lights between the building over the little drive out. Too bad that can't be just a seating area, other than for employees to smoke. 

58c1644038a41_50MonroeSitePlan.thumb.JPG.79fd0a5d8654d06156f9e45c4d4fafe2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, mpchicago said:

CWD says they would like to develop the parking lot at Monroe and Louis in the future.  I don't think we can expect renderings/plans for that anytime soon.

I think this was the original plan -- http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/02/cwd_real_estate_investment_unv.html

After a few years, though, I'm not sure what they have decided with this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, organsnyder said:

Construction fence is going up around these buildings this morning.

In the permit for approval it states project will be split into three 4 month installments through 8/18.  Based on that I would assume most of the exterior would be completed by then.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

They are going to town on 50 Monroe. It looks like most of the demolition is internal but they opened up the first level of the facade on the east and west side, and a portion by the atrium. The east side has some really cool detailing that I'm surprised they didn't strip. While smaller, this will probably be my favorite project to watch in the near future. 

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

Knowing how much of a fan Sam Cummings is of ArtPrize, I wonder if they're timing it to coincide with AP?