Sign in to follow this  
GRDadof3

50 Monroe to get de-skinned?

Developers dissapointed with renovation. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/10/developer_disappointed_as_faca.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Personally I liked the black panels, and definitely am not a fan of how it looks now without the panels, but we'll see how it looks once they finish with this project. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheSutterKing said:

Developers dissapointed with renovation. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/10/developer_disappointed_as_faca.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Personally I liked the black panels, and definitely am not a fan of how it looks now without the panels, but we'll see how it looks once they finish with this project. 

That headline is a bit deceptive in my opinion. Sure, he said he was disappointed that the three arches had been chopped out, but also knew that a good quarter of the south end of each building had been destroyed and patched in the 80’s.  

I’d be shocked if they weren’t ready for a few big surprises. 

I really hope they restore the arches. 

Joe

I wonder what they will do with the areas of cement block...I'd love to see a modern twist added to the historic facade in those areas.

Edited by GRLaker

They should take out the cement blocks and make it transparent glass, like the Apple Cube in NYC.

I honestly dont see what else they could do that wont either be insanely expensive, or look tacky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

They should take out the cement blocks and make it transparent glass, like the Apple Cube in NYC.

I honestly dont see what else they could do that wont either be insanely expensive, or look tacky.

What I was thinking as well. Glass corners would be a nice touch.

I haven't seen the pictures yet, but honestly if they can get a good match on the brick, and it's not like they weren't going to have to do facade repairs anyway, there wasn't historically that much detail at the top SE building. Recreating those arched windows should not be that expensive or difficult to do tastefully all things considering, and certainly nowhere near the expense of replicating the top of the NE building.

I haven't seen any plan of theirs suggesting that they're going to be replicating the top of the NE building.  And iirc, the plans have already been revealed for the collapsed corner, and it's not glass.

On 2/8/2017 at 3:10 PM, mielsonwheels said:

-a08f21c58e2be4ae.jpg

Take a look in the left of the photo.  It's paneling not unlike other buildings from the past decade.  And the flat top on the NE building with only a very basic horizontal cornice being given to both buildings.

37 minutes ago, tSlater said:

I haven't seen any plan of theirs suggesting that they're going to be replicating the top of the NE building.  And iirc, the plans have already been revealed for the collapsed corner, and it's not glass.

Take a look in the left of the photo.  It's paneling not unlike other buildings from the past decade.  And the flat top on the NE building with only a very basic horizontal cornice being given to both buildings.

I never realized that the damaged portions on the south side were shown in the rendering. I personally don’t mind and think it kind of tells a story (to anyone who notices). 

Joe

14 hours ago, tSlater said:

Good call. 

Got a picture of the east side of the building. It’s a little baffling why they ripped the top of that building out and put in cinder blocks. Would love to know the reason behind it. 

8CCD13CE-922D-469E-8D89-5A84806E9391.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Got a picture of the east side of the building. It’s a little baffling why they ripped the top of that building out and put in cinder blocks. Would love to know the reason behind it. 

8CCD13CE-922D-469E-8D89-5A84806E9391.jpeg

I'll bet the cornice at the top stood out too much, and they couldn't seamlessly run the metal panels all the way up so they just chopped off the facade.

30773714685_ca02fd295a_b.jpg&key=29448e4

• Like 3

I get the feeling the budget is pretty tight on this project, but knowing Sam Cummings, he will still manage to smooth out the bumps.

Edited by mpchicago

My guess is that the arched windows were too short for the rectangular windows they wanted to make on that floor. Thus it was easier to rebuild the entire top of the wall rather than try to re-support the window heads and parapet while they removed the arches. Alternatively, the top of the wall could have been in really poor shape and needed to be rebuilt. Building parapets are especially subject to deterioration from water and wind.