50 Monroe to get de-skinned?

GRDadof3

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

So the mystery continues - 

Elliot's Newsstand has posted that they are to vacate 50 Monroe by January 15. When are we going to get some more concrete details on what is happening at this address?  

Are they moving or closing? I still think there's a need for a good newsstand downtown. Would be a shame if they went out of business. 

Joe

On 12/3/2016 at 5:45 PM, joeDowntown said:

Are they moving or closing? I still think there's a need for a good newsstand downtown. Would be a shame if they went out of business. 

Joe

Looks to be permanent- Nearly 50 yrs, that is too bad. 

From their FB page- 

To our family of customers and friends,

It is with great difficulty and a heavy heart that we are notifying you that we have been told to vacate the building on:

Sunday, January 15, 2017

It has been our pleasure to serve you for nearly 50 years. We would like to thank you so very much for your patronage and loyalty.

Elliott's News

49 minutes ago, sparky05 said:

I think the real news here is that there was once a franchise restaurant called “Mr. Ham and Mr. Beef.” 

I did a quick Google search on "Mr. Ham and Mr. Beef" and found this article in the Sparta Sentinel-Leader about the opening of what was probably the only one.

Page down to the very bottom of the document:

Mr. Ham - Mr. Beef

Edited by walker

18 hours ago, SEsideguy said:

Can anyone say, " End of Life cycle".

Maybe during interior demolition they discovered some really bad structural issues on 50 Monroe? An entire big portion of the East building caved in from a collapsed smokestack when they were first renovating it back in the 80's. Maybe the "fix" back then did not stand the test of time. 

Just speculating I have no idea. 

• Like 1

Maybe during interior demolition they discovered some really bad structural issues on 50 Monroe? An entire big portion of the East building caved in from a collapsed smokestack when they were first renovating it back in the 80's. Maybe the "fix" back then did not stand the test of time. 
Just speculating I have no idea. 

Well I heard from a source that worked in the building when the "modern" facade was added they had to run cables in the floors between the two buildings, because the walls were bowing out quite badly, to pull them back together. I walked by this building last night and thought I glimpsed one of the anchors the cables are attached to.

This was a quick but expensive fix to an eyesore of a huge complex.  But not even close to an historically preserved building which now is what is wanted for this building. In 1985 many people wondered "Why" do this. The company I worked for did the interior design work, flooring tile, carpet, etc.  It did employ many trades which was needed. The alternative after demolition would have been a huge vacant dirt property. It was however exciting to see the building transformed.

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

According to some Engineering Department notes it looks like this project will start heavy construction next summer, and they want to separate it into two separate buildings with one being a Marriott AC Hotel and the other being an office building. The parking lot...well...remain a parking lot. 

Wow, fascinating. I assume the Westerly building will be the hotel? Just because of visibility?

This article quotes Sam Cummings saying they will try to bring back the historic facade, turning the one building into 3 (I assume common access on the east side, but two separate facades). Only the radio stations will remain (interesting as it seems like it'll get a bit noisy). 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2016/12/downtown_newsstand_and_tobacco.html#incart_river_mobile_home

Joe

• Like 2

On 12/16/2016 at 6:06 PM, GVSUChris said:

According to some Engineering Department notes it looks like this project will start heavy construction next summer, and they want to separate it into two separate buildings with one being a Marriott AC Hotel and the other being an office building. The parking lot...well...remain a parking lot. 

Here are the plans I think you're referring to. You can click on the image to see a large scale version of it. Nothing in the packet showing the facades. 

I assume they're saying "3 buildings" because the Easterly building looks like it will be permanently split? Condo-ized? 

Projected investment is $26 Million. 

DLR Group (architect) is a pretty big firm:

http://www.dlrgroup.com/search/?search=ac+hotel

31684739546_b19cd5f58f_o.jpg

And a typical floor (2nd floor)

31575636412_4bba11d860_o.jpg