50 Monroe to get de-skinned?

GRDadof3

37 minutes ago, SEsideguy said:

"I love rumors! The facts can be so misleading!" Oberstfuerher Col. Hans Landa. So what do we really know? I'm not a big tax or numbers guy, but 26mil? If it goes ahead to restore the old facade, I hope it turns out amazing and not looking out of place.

To turn the Waters Building into the Homewood Suites was reportedly $40 Million. That was a massive job turning an outdated office building into a hotel and apartments.

99 Monroe was renovated for reportedly $4 Million.

25 Ottawa was renovated for $3.5 Million.

Sort of all over the board. 

AC Hotels has a certain "brand" it appears, so I wonder if they'll add modern touches to the sides of the old building? I'm guessing they will, particularly around the new turnstile entrance on the North side of the building.

This is a different AC Hotel. 

ac-hotel-560_Article%20Image.jpg

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

To turn the Waters Building into the Homewood Suites was reportedly $40 Million. That was a massive job turning an outdated office building into a hotel and apartments.

99 Monroe was renovated for reportedly $4 Million.

25 Ottawa was renovated for $3.5 Million.

Sort of all over the board. 

AC Hotels has a certain "brand" it appears, so I wonder if they'll add modern touches to the sides of the old building? I'm guessing they will, particularly around the new turnstile entrance on the North side of the building.

This is a different AC Hotel. 

ac-hotel-560_Article%20Image.jpg

I've stayed at an AC before.  They style them after a European Botique style hotel, and cater to that millenial/hipster ecological activist crowd.  They aren't as comfortable/nice as a traditional flagship Marriott, but they certainly are trendy.  It'd be another notch in downtown GR's belt to have one.

Funny how Sam Cummings made a big deal about getting rid of that parking lot at Monroe and Louis, "thrilled at the prospect of adding an iconic structure to this important location."  Bummer that they could not make it happen. But I get it, not everything always falls into place.  Here is to the hope that CWD will do something special to the west side of 50 Monroe, as tSlater pointed out (that underneath) is "not much of a gem architecturally speaking." 

14201893-mmmain.jpg

Edited by mpchicago

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

Funny how Sam Cummings made a big deal about getting rid of that parking lot at Monroe and Louis, "thrilled at the prospect of adding an iconic structure to this important location."  Bummer that they could not make it happen. But I get it, not everything always falls into place.  Here is to the hope that CWD will do something special to the west side of 50 Monroe, as tSlater pointed out (that underneath) is "not much of a gem architecturally speaking." 

14201893-mmmain.jpg

One thing to note is that on the first floor plan, it shows some rather large expanses of glass on the West Side. Much larger than what I think the original building has.

31684739546_b19cd5f58f_o.jpg

Or maybe not:

helmer_9.thumb.jpeg.6eb20080e3b2dfec7ad6

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

14201893-mmmain.jpg

What they should do is go back to this design and make the modern addition a conference center, connected to the GRAM, which could also be used for conference space. It's about an 18,000 sf footprint (the parking lot). That would be really sweet. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 11:31 AM, GRDadof3 said:

One thing to note is that on the first floor plan, it shows some rather large expanses of glass on the West Side. Much larger than what I think the original building has.

31684739546_b19cd5f58f_o.jpg

Or maybe not:

helmer_9.thumb.jpeg.6eb20080e3b2dfec7ad6

I didn't see some of this specific information anywhere, sorry if it is already here-

Separating the 50 Monroe property into two separate parcels 

Was originally two buildings that were combined in 1986 

Planning to separate the property into three parcels . West Building will keep the 50 Monroe Address

Building will be restored and then leased to Amway  Select service hotel called AC Hotel • 120-132 rooms in the hotel

Restore skin of the original building

Clean modern look combining metal, glass, concrete, and wood o Will have a bar and breakfast but no restaurant o Operable storefront on corners to draw people in

East Building o Will get a new address on Ottawa o 96,000 square feet of rentable space  Town Square Media is staying •

Parking o Surface lot  May resurface lot but there are no plans for anything too involved • Would like to redevelop by 2020

Will need to secure building permits by the parcel o Plans to submit for Land Use Development (LUDS) permits in February •

Bike Parking on Street o May put more secure bike parking inside for employees •

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

CWD has done a good job putting brick over top of blank walls before (on the CWD building). I would imagine they'll do what it takes to make it look good. The nice thing for them is the Venue apartments are now blocking the view, so they could simply re-brick without doing anything too extraordinary and nobody would notice. 

Joe