Memphis developments 2012

Memphis4ever

There have been several nice projects started in Memphis that have received funding and are well under construction, I would personally like to see more talk and pics from Memphis people. Bass pro for example broke ground today on the pyramid project and the new renderings are incredible. This will really be a huge accomplishment for memphis when it is complete. But lets talk about new things going on around the city.

post-21747-0-38534800-1340315024_thumb.j

post-21747-0-60144500-1340315034_thumb.j

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure this project will bring a lot of much needed revenue into the city of Memphis, so that's good, but I continue to absolutely despise this project. It's appalling to me, really. I realize that the Pyramid set more or less unused, and that was bad, but for the city to turn an iconic city landmark into nothing more than a freaking big box store surrounded by a sea of parking is just sad, and it really comes across as desperate. Also, the fact that from this day forth every skyline shot of Memphis will have a gigantic "Bass Pro Shops" logo featured in it is just embarrassing. Imagine if Walgreens set up shop in the base of the Arch in St. Louis, and they put a giant neon "Walgreens" sign on the top. This is similar, to me.

I get what you are saying, I was personally a fan of an indoor themepark. However there will not just be a parking lot around the building it will be heavily landscaped with paths that connect to the existing river walk. From an architecture stand point I do think this is the most unique re use of an arena and it fits in with Memphis.

I have to agree with Bna here. This is going to be incredibly tacky, and I *really* hope they get rid of the massive logo on top. Turning it into a Bass Pro isn't necessarily a bad thing if they execute it properly, but turning the skyline of the city into a big store's billboard isn't doing anyone any favors. It's not even like it's a small company logo on top of a high rise that is the company headquarters.

This has all the architectural charm of an interstate billboard.

Archived