Charlotte Bike / Scooter Sharing

kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

File under “stupidest business plan ever”

I tried to get a Spin scooter on my way home tonight, but they shut down at 6pm.

WTF?

That’s probably why the same 5 or so have been at the light rail crossing on Remount. Bird and Limes have been coming and going, spins just sitting there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, dylansukkert said:

That’s probably why the same 5 or so have been at the light rail crossing on Remount. Bird and Limes have been coming and going, spins just sitting there. 

As a certified scooter snob, I can say that the Spin scooters absolutely stink. Slower than Bird (which are slower than Lime) with longer braking distance.

4/10 will not take to breweries again.

1 hour ago, lancer22 said:

As a certified scooter snob, I can say that the Spin scooters absolutely stink. Slower than Bird (which are slower than Lime) with longer braking distance.

4/10 will not take to breweries again.

Yup, I had the same experience today. It took me about 4 attempts before I was finally able to rent a Spin scooter but once I was running I was impressed with its stability. It took me a minute but I realized that it was much more stable because its top speed is much lower.

Spin's breaks are kinda casual, but I have seen the same breaks beginning to appear on Bird scooters as well (I think they are regenerative).

• Like 1

Lime has completely upgraded their fleet in the past six weeks -- they are much sturdier than the first generation. There are a handful of upgraded Birds, but they are still mostly the crappy first generation.

The Spin scooters are not quite as robust as the new Lime's (but better than Birds) and they lack a speedometer.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, cmwilson24 said:

The sidewalk ban should have only included Tryon - other sidewalks uptown are usually empty, including Church and College

Hard disagree. Church and College sidewalks are often more congested since they are typically much narrower than Tryon. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Hard disagree. Church and College sidewalks are often more congested since they are typically much narrower than Tryon. 

Other than rush hour and lunch on weekdays they are mostly empty - my office window looks out at one of the two streets we're discussing and it's a simple fact.  I think some simple rules around usage would solve a lot of the potential issues - "people walking have the right of way, if you're on a scooter and you run into someone walking it's your fault, etc.".  People are going to keep riding these on the sidewalks so we might as well create rules that deal with reality rather than trying to change it.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting blog post on Scooter economics here: https://oversharing.substack.com/p/shared-scooters-dont-last-long

Based on Open Data from Louisville this guy found the following:

• The average lifespan of a Bird/Lime scooter there was 28 days (per unit scooter cost is thought to be between $360 and $550)
  • The average scooter took 70 trips (spanning a mean of 85 miles) during its lifespan
  • The average scooter in Louisville was rented 3.5 times per day (generating $12.91 in revenue per day)

There was also a nice breakdown of costs which led to the estimate that each scooter in Louisville generated between $65 and $75 in revenue (after costs) over its lifetime.

As you can see from these numbers, this aint sustainable. Either scooters need to get simultaneously cheaper and more robust or revenue (usage) needs to increase dramatically. The value of user data (and the potential to develop a payment system from the apps) was not addressed. However, these numbers are so bleak that it appears that unless current conditions change I suspect the scooters will quickly disappear once the VC money is gone.

Bummer. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Yikes, that is too bad. I wonder if a membership pricing model would work better? Rather than charging people by the minute, which encourages people to use the scooter for as little time as possible, you sell a monthly membership fee to frequent users that includes a base time of 1 hour per month + time over that. You could sell the monthly memberships for $15 per month. 

Even if the current model fails, it was worthwhile to introduce to how many people the possibility and potential for non auto based transit in central or more urban areas, and also because it forced cities to grapple with questions like how much planning should be exclusively auto focused. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, kermit said:

Interesting blog post on Scooter economics here: https://oversharing.substack.com/p/shared-scooters-dont-last-long

Based on Open Data from Louisville this guy found the following:

• The average lifespan of a Bird/Lime scooter there was 28 days (per unit scooter cost is thought to be between $360 and $550)
  • The average scooter took 70 trips (spanning a mean of 85 miles) during its lifespan
  • The average scooter in Louisville was rented 3.5 times per day (generating $12.91 in revenue per day)

There was also a nice breakdown of costs which led to the estimate that each scooter in Louisville generated between $65 and $75 in revenue (after costs) over its lifetime.

As you can see from these numbers, this aint sustainable. Either scooters need to get simultaneously cheaper and more robust or revenue (usage) needs to increase dramatically. The value of user data (and the potential to develop a payment system from the apps) was not addressed. However, these numbers are so bleak that it appears that unless current conditions change I suspect the scooters will quickly disappear once the VC money is gone.

Bummer. 

I have a hard time believing that the average lifespan is 28 days...  I wonder if the Data is being skewed by the provider to mask their numbers.  Maybe changing the Scooter number every month maybe after it is repaired/refreshed?  

• Like 1