kermit

Charlotte Bike / Scooter Sharing

3 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

I have a hard time believing that the average lifespan is 28 days...  I wonder if the Data is being skewed by the provider to mask their numbers.  Maybe changing the Scooter number every month maybe after it is repaired/refreshed?  

That is a possibility. The data set they were using simply had device IDs in it and they monitored how long each ID was present in Louisville. They did ask the question of what else could happen to the units and did not get a helpful answer from Bird.

I was also surprised the lifespan was so short, but I have seen an awful lot of exploded scooters around Southend so part of me might believe that number.

So I have been worried about the future of bikeshare (in broad terms) as we watch the dockless operators either go under or withdraw from the bike business (Lime) and watch Bcycle continue to get ignored. Much to my surprise Raleigh is just now rolling out docked bikeshare. I think this news is one of two things: 1) a sign that docked bikeshare is still viable or 2) Raleigh is three years late to every trend. I am not sure which.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article227560009.html

2 hours ago, kermit said:

So I have been worried about the future of bikeshare (in broad terms) as we watch the dockless operators either go under or withdraw from the bike business (Lime) and watch Bcycle continue to get ignored. Much to my surprise Raleigh is just now rolling out docked bikeshare. I think this news is one of two things: 1) a sign that docked bikeshare is still viable or 2) Raleigh is three years late to every trend. I am not sure which.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article227560009.html

Now that you mention this I do not see the bike in Uptown anymore.  Not sure when they went away.  Scooters EVERYWHERE though. 

Just over a year ago I posted the first photos here of scooters in Learning from Other Places thread:

Just returned from three days in Venice California. It is the Ultima Thule of Angeleno bourgeoisie. One interesting sight was the ubiquity of Bird, a dockless electric scooter. Similar to the bikes but less cumbersome on the streetscape. Scooters are less than half the width and length of a bike, and visually far less apparent. Painted black they nearly disappear. Several of them together are not a hindrance. There is a small kickstand.  They were all around and are convenient since this area is nearly flat so electricity caries one a decent distance. Riders are supposed to have a driver license, wear helmet, obey all laws of the road, use only on a street or bike lane, and if you think that happens you would be ready for my nutritional supplement promotion.

The company was started by a former COO of LYFT.

IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.6c8bb0982bb13077fe551a3c8ac994db.JPG

• Like 1

So Saturday I jokenly told a group of people(6 people in there 40’s) you weren’t suppose to ride them on the sidewalks of Tryon. One of the guys thought I was trying to piss them off and wanted to fight me, fun times. 

• Haha 3