Charlotte Bike / Scooter Sharing

kermit

On somewhat of a different note, I just purchased what is probably the first Electric Scooter (Vespa variety) in Charlotte.  It is a NIU N Sport and I had to drive to Atlanta to pick it up.  Strange, I had to pay the Tariff on the Scooter, I though China was paying the Tariff!  It is a blast to drive!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DMann said:

On somewhat of a different note, I just purchased what is probably the first Electric Scooter (Vespa variety) in Charlotte.  It is a NIU N Sport and I had to drive to Atlanta to pick it up.  Strange, I had to pay the Tariff on the Scooter, I though China was paying the Tariff!  It is a blast to drive!

Looks pretty fun! What color did you get?  Hopefully you don't need maintenance or you'll be heading back to ATL.

1 hour ago, DMann said:

Awesome! I have a 2012 Vespa GTS 300. Absolutely love it. The Elettrica looks super slick!

I have had a KYMCO for 20 years, just a 50cc.  It was great fun to drive, but spewed a lot of exhaust.  My wife bought a Tesla and I became totally committed to Electric.  This NIU does not disappoint.  The instant torque does take some getting used to, feels like I am hanging on for my life.  It is sweet!

• Like 1

Does your scooter require a driver license? A license plate and registration?

16 hours ago, DMann said:

23 hours ago, kermit said:

While I said I would miss the scooters when they are gone in my last post, my ride last night makes me think I won't miss them that much.

From Palmer St (Gold District) to Dilworth (around Mr. K's)

Lime: $5.35

So the per minute cost is back above 30¢ on top of the $1 to unlock? It was the overnight increase for each provider from a reasonable 15¢ to 33¢ overnight that moved me to the rail permanently.  With all the constructions, street closures, poorly maintained roads and the increase in pedestrian traffic on the rail trail, taking the scooters was feeling increasingly tenuous.

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

So the per minute cost is back above 30¢ on top of the $1 to unlock? It was the overnight increase for each provider from a reasonable 15¢ to 33¢ overnight that moved me to the rail permanently.  With all the constructions, street closures, poorly maintained roads and the increase in pedestrian traffic on the rail trail, taking the scooters was feeling increasingly tenuous.

Yea, my receipt said 12 minutes and billed out the fare at $4.96 (sales tax was the rest). North of $0.30 per minute and I just can't justify it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, kermit said:

Lime says they have around 12 weeks of runway left at their current (virus-reduced) revenue rates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-21/scooter-giant-lime-preparing-layoffs-as-rider-numbers-collapse

Those scooter companies were probably going to all go bankrupt anyway, like most new VC-funded trendy companies, but this pandemic and stock crash will make it come quicker.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

well you mean people will have to go back to alas Walking or Biking?  Zero carbon emissions from those 2 since these batteries have to be charged somewhere. 

The loss of scooter share is also likely to increase short car trips.

Edited by kermit

Bird  is the latest startup hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. Today, Bird laid off about 30% of its employees amid the uncertainty caused by the coronavirus, TechCrunch has learned. This came out to 406 people laid off out of 1,387 employees prior to the layoffs, Bird confirmed.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/27/bird-lays-off-about-30-of-workforce-amid-covid-19-pandemic/

With social distancing guidelines extended through April 30 by the Federal Government, will be interesting to see if these startups can absorb essentially no new sales for about 12.5% of a year (and likely to increase). 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, kermit said:

Docked bikeshare is flourishing in other parts of the world...

This was an opportunity for BCycle but they fell flat on their face. No one could answer questions, and some stations were shut early on. They should push an expansion along the XCLT Trail, and a station or two in the Gold District.

On the plus side I have seen a lot more people on them uptown recently. 

• Like 1