kermit

Charlotte Bike Sharing

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I know that is an issue in some intown neighborhoods I would call the police and have it towed.  

And this gets to the essence of the thread. If a bike is blocking the sidewalk its easy to move, a car is such a PITA to get moved that we ignore them when they block the sidewalk.

I moved a Lime bike to a more secure location this morning.  The bike started talking.  It told me that I need to pay for my ride, or it was going to call the police.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I moved a Lime bike to a more secure location this morning.  The bike started talking.  It told me that I need to pay for my ride, or it was going to call the police.

BAD TOUCH

• Like 3

They need to have an easier way to tattle on the last person who parked it badly.     Those people are going to spoil a good thing. 

There is a way to report an issue with the bike after booking it, but not to easily report a problem otherwise.   The official way is to call them, which is really not a very good way of dealing with the issue.    Right at this very minute, there is a lime bike in the dead center of the sidewalk near me, and there is an entire cluster of the yellow (Ofo? ) bikes blocking the whole sidewalk down the other sidewalk.  

It's a PITA, and needs to be some sort of way to get the offenders to stop or else it is going to be cracked down by the city and we will lose the good thing.  

• Like 2

Also wanted to share this, we're not the only ones dealing with the bike share etiquette.  Same companies even :)

https://qz.com/1058438/chinese-cities-saying-enough-already-to-chaos-generated-by-bike-sharing-services-like-ofo-and-mobike/

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/china-shanghai-bikes/index.html

I saw these on a trip at People's Park in Shanghai this summer and thought it to be fairly organized.  Doesn't seem to be the case everywhere though.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

I’ll weigh in. I’ve held my tongue as I’ve never really seen the issue until yesterday. The saturation has gotten to the point where we are going to reach a tipping point for collective community annoyance soon. I love bike sharing, I think it is great for the community and will help to evolve the car-culture in Charlotte, but something needs to change before a regrettable law is enacted.

I don’t think this practice detracts from our urban fabric. Heck, sometimes it even ADDS to the aesthetic of the streetscape:

5d81601856289cd4c112242478fb4b39.jpg

What I feel the real problem has become is a lack of proper regulations and enforcement on the part of Charlotte city officials.

Let’s use Europe as the first example. Sure, bicycles have been a mainstay of that culture for decades. While we can only widen existing sidewalks so much, we can use them as a model of sustainability for bike riding/sharing in the urban environment. It may be the personal ownership which drives the responsibility and conformity of riders there (you don’t park it properly, you won’t have a bike for long.) Maybe the rental culture is where the disconnect is made. But rental cars are not left just anywhere. Why? Because drivers know they will be ticketed for improperly parking them. Why should that be different with bicycles?

The second example in which to compare would be San Francisco. I spent a few days there recently and cannot recall a single Bikeshare bike being left in public right-of-way. Why? Because it appeared that 99% of the bikes there were in docking stations rather than freestanding. There were a TON of these stations. But they were always placed in appropriate, non-obtrusive locations. Parks weren’t littered with them, they were all corralled properly in their designated areas. So either they have local legislation inhibiting the stand-alone Bikeshare bikes (They started accepting permits for them in June 2017 according to the SFMTA website,) or they already have a critical mass due to the stations currently in place.

Point being, other cities can do it properly, so Charlotte can learn by their example before the issue comes to a head.

• Like 1