kermit

Charlotte Bike Sharing

I saw some Spin bikes up in the University area, at that shopping center next to the Berkeley Place Apartments, if anyone knows where that is.  They were lined up on the sidewalk, like they had been placed there intentionally, if that’s the case they may be trying to dip into their toes in the water of the University area as well as some other suburban areas I’m sure.  That area in particular is heavy with immigrants, so wouldn’t surprise me if they might embrace the bike and culture, especially if they don’t own a car. 

On 11/20/2017 at 12:27 AM, Nick2 said:

How hard would it be for CLT to replace a some street parking spots sporadically throughout the densest parts of the city with bike parking slots? Seems like an easy solution to me.

Agreed that this would be an excellent solution.  Many cities (Portland, Austin, Denver, etc.) have been installing Bike Corrals which provide capacity for 12 or more bikes in one on-street parking space.  Generally they're placed at intersection corners and have the added benefit of increasing sight distance for drivers, bicyclists and peds.  

Denver Standard Detail
Google Maps - Charlotte installation on E Park Ave
Google Maps - Portland, OR installation - these are all over the place in PDX

I'd like to see future fees from the dockless bikeshare permit fund public bike parking around the city.... seems like a no-brainer. 

160328_Bike_Mural_21 (1).jpg

I have seen more people riding dockless bikes in the past two days than I have seen bcycle riders over the past two years.

• Like 1