SoBro Hilton Garden Inn - 10 Floors - ~140'

MTSUBlueraider86

Wow, so basically, the side of the building will be fronting KVB?  Man...how many strikes are we going to make along the south side of what is supposedly the city's grand new street?  A police station?  An electrical substation?  The blank wall of a chain hotel?  In terms of street activation, we might as well just build a bunch of parking lots. 

What really is interesting about this city and codes and permitting is this: If you want to use brick instead of siding in the wrong neighborhood on the wrong side of the house they will not let you. Those minute details are watched over so closely, especially in overlay neighborhoods. Yet, on one of the main streets in the city we allow large developers to do stuff like this.

It's interesting...it seems the higher end hotels (with the exception of Omni) are being proposed...but away from KVB. Marriott and Grand Hyatt would be north of Demonbreun, and Westin (and Four Seasons, har har) would be more towards the Gulch.

I'm not quite sure what to think of it. Despite what people say about 'full service' hotels, we DO need lower priced, more competitive hotels near downtown...but the seemingly prime location of these is a little bit confusing.

It's interesting...it seems the higher end hotels (with the exception of Omni) are being proposed...but away from KVB. Marriott and Grand Hyatt would be north of Demonbreun, and Westin (and Four Seasons, har har) would be more towards the Gulch.

I'm not quite sure what to think of it. Despite what people say about 'full service' hotels, we DO need lower priced, more competitive hotels near downtown...but the seemingly prime location of these is a little bit confusing.

If I remember correctly, there was an article talking about the deal that Omni struck with the city, and part of the deal was that no other hotel that recieved TIF from the city could be within so many blocks of the Omni. That could be one of the reasons for the locations chosen for Tony's Marriott and the lower Broadway Hyatt. I'm not saying that's not the location they wanted to build all along (because that may be the case) but that deal with the city and Omni might have hindered them from proposing these hotels on KVB if they wanted to. Anyway's, just something to think about.

I think that the idea that KVB was going to be something like Michigan Ave was abandoned long, long ago, if indeed city planners ever truly envisioned that. There used to be no way to get across that part of town east-to-west unless you took Demonbreun, which is narrow, or Broadway, which is wide but is filled with pedestrians.  So KVB was built as an effective, wide, transportation thoroughfare for cars, pedestrians, and maybe bicycles. And for the most part it is if the city would do something about the lights so that you don't sit parked going from one light to the next for half an hour (particularly eastbound during rush hour). I'm not saying that it is not a missed opportunity.  I'm just saying that the way that the Convention Center and even the Omni are situated reinforces the impression that KVB is more or less an access road.

Part of what makes me crazy about the Gulch pedestrian bridge idea is that KVB was originally supposed to go all the way to the Gulch, but that was abandoned. So now we're just completing that idea with a very, very expensive pedestrian bridge. They should have just done it right the first time. But this is Nashville!

Speaking of the NIMBYs in Green Hills (re: Southern Land Tower), I recall the downtown/Gulch NIMBYs were in full force against the "through-way" of KVB.  That was the original design (going back to I remember an August '94 piece in the Tennessean).  But it was quickly discarded under public pressure.  And that was before the Gulch really had residents to speak of... but the SoBro collection of businesses and East Nashvillian preservationists were dead-set against a road going all the way across town and picking up with Division.  Overall, I think what happened with the streets will prove to be better for motor vehicle traffic than the original plan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some mentioned how the exterior of the HGI is fitting in well with it's SoBro brothers and I took this shot here on the East side of the Howell apartments.  The HGI does look pretty nice with the brick design.  The facade on 3rd Ave is nice as well.  Still a lot of work being done on the back end as the continue building the parking structure.  

post-29071-0-76917800-1418394197_thumb.j

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hard to believe this started almost 3 years ago! Demolition of the old structure was February 2012 and construction started in July 2012. It's almost 3 years for a 10 story building! Construction in this town seems so slow now.

It does doesn't it. Heck, I'm in the industry and it seems that everything is taking a bit longer now.