SoBro Hilton Garden Inn - 10 Floors - ~140'

MTSUBlueraider86

William had a story about this on Nashville Post. I don't have the article, but here is the link.

Should be a nice addition. The rendering looks fairly nice, and being on that hill, it will look 200 feet tall for 11 stories!

If my math is correct:

Omni 800 rooms

Hyatt 250 rooms

Hilton 200 rooms

Do we need any more rooms than that?

P2 any ideas?

MT

William had a story about this on Nashville Post. I don't have the article, but here is the link.

Should be a nice addition. The rendering looks fairly nice, and being on that hill, it will look 200 feet tall for 11 stories!

If my math is correct:

Omni 800 rooms

Hyatt 250 rooms

Hilton 200 rooms

Do we need any more rooms than that?

P2 any ideas?

MT

It's more about full service vs. limited service hotels. We still need more full service.

I actually think this will look solid. I suggested to the developer (Chartwell) the use of a medium gray to charcoal stucco (no beige, cream, etc.) and they were receptive. The corner piece will look cool. And yes, it should look much taller than it will be given that elevation.

As to full-service, P2 is correct. We can handle the additional rooms.

WW

I think we need to take into account that this is just a rendering...the final design might be a bit better.

I do agree it does need to address the street better, too...even if there is no direct entrance there, I think a restaurant on the lower level (perhaps partially below ground, or even with the KVB street level) with glass or a patio would be much better than a big concrete wall. Leaving the concrete wall is an open invitation to get tagged with graffiti.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think it is that bad. Davy, you would find a great home in Europe where you can have all of the 15th Century architecture you want.

Yeah, it REALLY is that bad. It doesn't have to be 15th century (and Mansard-style is 19th). This country has built plenty of classy and timeless structures (look at Symphony Hall, for heaven's sake). We need more of that type of architecture and less of this disposable looking crap. A beautiful structure that featured a nouveau Second Empire style (or even Art Deco) would go a long way into swift occupation of the building, it might also start a trend for more stylish architecture.

Edited by fieldmarshaldj

Yeah, it REALLY is that bad. It doesn't have to be 15th century (and Mansard-style is 19th). This country has built plenty of classy and timeless structures (look at Symphony Hall, for heaven's sake). We need more of that type of architecture and less of this disposable looking crap. A beautiful structure that featured a nouveau Second Empire style (or even Art Deco) would go a long way into swift occupation of the building, it might also start a trend for more stylish architecture.

Alright... I've been trying to avoid this conversation but I have to get in it now. And please don't perceive this as an attack - more of my opinion than anything. That said - building a beautiful structure that is of the SE/Deco style isn't going to do anything for occupation of the building. Businesses, from a business perspective, don't move into buildings for how they look, they move in because of the perks they get. Egotistical law firms and banks move into buildings because of how they look. And they will stay closer to the core. I think this building is fine. It plays well off of RMH.

• Like 1

Your sarcasm aside, Believe me if I could afford to live in a real city like Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, Toronto, Montreal, Philipelphia, Boston, I would in a minute!

In my experience, Philadelphia is just as cheap as Nashville if you play your cards right.

Playing your cards right may involve living in a part of town that resembles Sarajevo in 1994, but hey...

I don't have a problem with the design of this hotel at all aside from that damn blank wall that surrounds the entire thing. THAT is what is a travesty in my mind. Think about all the famous grand avenues in the world, and then think about how they'd look if each building was fronted by a blank wall. They wouldn't be the renown places that they are, that's for sure. I mean, the entire point of building right up to the street is to encourage pedestrian activity and make it easier to walk from place to place. But that wall just defeats the purpose of building up to the street. I hope they at LEAST get rid of the wall on KVB.