SoBro Hilton Garden Inn - 10 Floors - ~140'

MTSUBlueraider86

The blank walks on the two major streets as shows in the drawing don't seem to factor in the KVB design guidelines. I'm curious if they got an exemption.

http://www.nashville..._guidelines.pdf

The wall on the KVB side appears to be no taller than 3-4' with a 3-4' railing on top. At least, I presume that is the KVB side.

The blank walks on the two major streets as shows in the drawing don't seem to factor in the KVB design guidelines. I'm curious if they got an exemption.

http://www.nashville..._guidelines.pdf

I hope that isn't the case. If the first semi-significant structure that gets built on KVB aside from the MCC is able to skirt the guidelines and get an exception, then what the hell is the point of having guidelines in place?

The wall on the KVB side appears to be no taller than 3-4' with a 3-4' railing on top. At least, I presume that is the KVB side.

How much of this is premature speculation? Isn't that just a preliminary rendering? I'm wondering what the final rendering will look like - maybe they just hurried this one up and did the wall because they hadn't nailed down an actual design yet.

How much of this is premature speculation? Isn't that just a preliminary rendering? I'm wondering what the final rendering will look like - maybe they just hurried this one up and did the wall because they hadn't nailed down an actual design yet.

Exactly. We haven't seen the finals on this thing, and even at, there is a grade on this property that would require a retaining wall. That said, I agree - all the fuss about the wall and possible exclusions of the KVB guidelines is all based on speculation from the first render we see. Until I see a blueprint detailing the wall, I'm not worried, and I still like the overall look of the building. Ever notice how these first renders always have backgrounds that don't match their proposed surroundings?

Exactly. We haven't seen the finals on this thing, and even at, there is a grade on this property that would require a retaining wall. That said, I agree - all the fuss about the wall and possible exclusions of the KVB guidelines is all based on speculation from the first render we see. Until I see a blueprint detailing the wall, I'm not worried, and I still like the overall look of the building. Ever notice how these first renders always have backgrounds that don't match their proposed surroundings?

Exactly! Until we see a finished product, we won't know what we have. For the time being, its a decent looking building and although I agree with Davy's architectural puritanism, developers cannot always afford to build the best, and sometimes it becomes architectural masturbation to do the same thing over and over again, but that is what we have.

I was thinking while I was walking around the State Capital how bad parts of James Robertson Parkway are. That could be a grand boulevard, but alas that will not be.

• 3 months later...

I've wondered about that myself and came to a conclusion that the slope of the street downward suggests that KVB is the street on the left (it also appears to have the median). Also, KVB slopes westerly, which would be reverse the slope of the street running left-to-right in the rendering. So that would make the street the hotel faces, going from left-to-right, Almond Street if I am correct. I hope I'm wrong though, as that would make the building "turn away" from both 3rd Avenue and KVB, as well as Peabody.

Edited by MLBrumby

I look for this project to start very soon now that they have acquired all the property. The way I see the rendering is the hotel will be on the corner of 3rd and Peabody and the 2 story section with the roof top restaurant would front KVB and that is where your entrance would be. 3rd Ave. increases in elevation from KVB, and Peabody would be at the top of the street. I may be wrong, but that is how it looks to me

I've wondered about that myself and came to a conclusion that the slope of the street downward suggests that KVB is the street on the left (it also appears to have the median). Also, KVB slopes westerly, which would be reverse the slope of the street running left-to-right in the rendering. So that would make the street the hotel faces, going from left-to-right, Almond Street if I am correct. I hope I'm wrong though, as that would make the building "turn away" from both 3rd Avenue and KVB, as well as Peabody.

It does look cookie cutter, however, it's a heck of a lot better than most Garden Inns that I've seen. I kind of like it, even if it's not the most exciting structure it does add density and the rooftop restaurant will liven up KVB quite a bit, assuming that it's on KVB that is.

It does look cookie cutter, however, it's a heck of a lot better than most Garden Inns that I've seen. I kind of like it, even if it's not the most exciting structure it does add density and the rooftop restaurant will liven up KVB quite a bit, assuming that it's on KVB that is.

I agree that at least this one seems to be somewhat customized to the site, including the grade change. At least it's not the cookie-cutter type that gets plopped in the middle of former cornfields that now find themselves as suburban strips. If we are correct that this rendering faces KVB, then having a rooftop restaurant on KVB will be a nice touch and will certainly have great views of downtown. Maybe the restaurant will be something other than HGI's usual Great American Grill?

That KVB-facing orientation may also begin to make KVB more pedestrian friendly and may actually activate that street from a pedestrian perspective, which it currently is not. Plus, having the taller portion of the building to the south will also slowly raise the skyline in that part of Sobro south of KVB.

There was an article in the TN a few days ago about how the last piece of property for this HGI was the highest paid yet.

I think the design looks a lot more cookie-cutter now, though I'm VERY relieved that there apparently isn't going to be a huge blank wall there.

Yeah, the top was fine. What happened?!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm really disappointed at the direction developers are going along Korean Veterans Boulevard. It's such a missed opportunity for store-front shopping, restaurants, sidewalk dinning, etc. I was really hoping for something like The Magnificent Mile in Chicago and a location for others who really don’t care for Country music, but would like to go downtown for dinning and shopping. A more high-end experience downtown where one can buy Fendi instead of country apparel.

Edited by FromParkAveToTN
  • Like 1

Well, there is a bunch of lots left to develop along the South-side of KVB, so that still could be a possibility. Things like the new Police precinct and the NES substation sure don't help though.

When I look at the SoBro master plan below, that's the way I alway's envisioned KVB to turn out. I'm sure there will be several nice developments along there in the future. I just can't see all those prime locations right across the street from the MCC not being taken advantage of by developers. I'm willing to bet in the next couple years you will probably see a building boom all along KVB with some nice mixed use projects, with restaurants, retail, etc...

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-31%20at%202.56.4

Wow, so basically, the side of the building will be fronting KVB?  Man...how many strikes are we going to make along the south side of what is supposedly the city's grand new street?  A police station?  An electrical substation?  The blank wall of a chain hotel?  In terms of street activation, we might as well just build a bunch of parking lots.