Florida Mall/Mall at Millenia

101_ce

I have wondered why these malls did not have threads, since many other cities have mall threads. I figured that with Millenia being my favorite mall, and Orlando/Florida being one of my favorite cities/states, why not create a thread on it? I will post all of the store closings, openings, etc. that I can, and hope to discuss what we want next in the malls and the surrounding areas, and virtually any other thing related to these wonderful malls!

• Like 1

First post! Yay!

Here are some recent updates for the malls!

Mall at Millenia

• Arden B has moved from their location next to Talbots to the space next to Zara in the Macy's court. Coach has recently opened their expanded store in the former Arden B space.
  • Quiksilver/Roxy has closed.
  • Yves Saint Laurent should be opening in the former Coach space. I was pretty sure it said Summer, but it may be this Fall. This is great for Orlando! They don't even have a boutique in Atlanta yet, but it is likely opening soon.
  • Armani Exchange and Brooks Brothers are scheduled to open as well, if they haven't already.

Edited by ct36

Of course! Should have done that anyway! I will edit my post to reflect that! Since there wasn't already threads for the malls I decided to just combine them.

I was wondering why Orlando didn't have a Container store, but I'm glad that it is coming now, especially since Millenia is a nice area.

Florida Mall

Apparently they are renovating the Florida Mall. I am not sure much about it, but I know that the Dylan's Candy Bar closed and it is being removed. Kind of weird to be in the middle of the center court. I think they should take the Brookstone out as well and relocate it so that the center court is nice and open. Maybe put a nice fountain there? I'm sure it feels pretty cramped with the way it is now, and having just one store in the middle is kind of odd. I hope something is done to the JCPenney/Sears wing because most of the mall looks fine except for that part.

I'm not sure which, but Apple is either expanding or relocating their store the mall. Microsoft has taken over the Soma Intimates space as well as half of the Williams-Sonoma space. The rest of the Williams-Sonoma space and the Pottery Barn space is still vacant, but I'm not sure if Apple (which is next door) will expand into it or just open inside it? It's pretty hard to say. If they expanded it would be almost too big to be realistic, however, if they opened it might be a little small compared to the new expanded store re-opening at Millenia in September.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the Disney store has not signed a lease at the Mall at Millenia, but hopes to open next year.

What is pretty laughable is that since there were some purse snatchings this week, and someone was shot near the mall, some people were saying the mall should have just been built in Doctor Phillips. Where would they have put it? Next to Little Sand Lake? There is no room there now, and there wasn't then, either. Just about everyone knows that Millenia is a very nice area but gets pretty bad as soon as you get out of there, particularly when Conroy turns into Americana.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the Disney store has not signed a lease at the Mall at Millenia, but hopes to open next year.

What is pretty laughable is that since there were some purse snatchings this week, and someone was shot near the mall, some people were saying the mall should have just been built in Doctor Phillips. Where would they have put it? Next to Little Sand Lake? There is no room there now, and there wasn't then, either. Just about everyone knows that Millenia is a very nice area but gets pretty bad as soon as you get out of there, particularly when Conroy turns into Americana.

The "upscale" mall was originally supposed to be on the land where Universal now sits (it was to have the "Galleria" appellation); later, when Disney began tossing around ideas for its community, they had plans for a mall featuring Harrod's of London (they ended up going with the "new urbanism" idea pitched by All-Star Resorts architects Andres Duany and Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk and instead we got Celebration).

For me, of course, I was chagrined that, the "herd" mentality of retail being what it is, once Millenia was constructed in the rapidly declining neighborhoods adjoining American Blvd and Oak Ridge Rd., the opportunity for upscale retail in Winter Park or more desirable traditional areas all but died for the foreseeable future. That decision, however, was probably cast in stone once the voters decided in the late '70's to put the convention center in the tourist zone, robbing upscale retailers of all those expense account-laden shoppers, not to mention the tourists from places like Brazil that stock up on goods while they visit.

Edited by spenser1058

To add to the updates:

Millenia - Emporio Armani recently opened in the old St John's space. Apple is expanding into the old Kenneth Cole location. Betsy Johnson, which recently relocated upstairs near Crate and Barrel, is closing (nationwide) and Allen Edmonds moved into the adjacent space. Pinkberry also opened up. I am hoping a something great will replace the former McCormick and Schmick's space, perfect location for a new restaurant.

FL Mall - A sushi restaurant will open where Dylan's Candy bar used to be (Dylan's inside bloomingdales also closed, what happened Ralph Lauren's daughter?). Puma is gone. Pinkberry is also opening another location.

Edited by tm68

I love the Emporio Armani store! It looks really good. In my opinion, Millenia probably has some of the most attractive storefronts in the country. I know that the Victoria's Secret and Banana Republic stores both received renovations, and they look amazing! i know the Apple store will be huge, double the size of the current store which is pretty small. It's kind of funny how Apple is enlarging so many of their stores all at the same time! It's still not very obvious what is happening to the Florida Mall store, but time will tell. I assume it will take over the former Pottery Barn space, and it will be probably about 3 times the size it was before.

I have no idea what they would want to put in the former McCormick and Schmick's space. Orlando has a lot of restaurants, so really the only similar restaurants left are Grand Lux Cafe (which probably would not open since it is next to the Cheesecake Factory). I really hope that I am forgetting one though!

It is a shame that the Dylan's store closed. Their candy looked good, and I was hoping to get some at Bloomingdale's since the store closed. Oh well, it's not like I can get down to my favorite mall until next summer. :dontknow:

In Florida Mall, Microsoft is opening a Microsoft store right next to the Apple store. Orlando tried to get Microfost to open downtown but they want to open it right next to Apple store. Ironically, sales at Apple store that has microsoft store close-by increased.

• 2 weeks later...

Kiehl's is opening in the former Kenneth Cole space at Mall at Millenia, and Apple is taking the rest of what Kiehl's does not use. Sounds like Apple won't be as big as we thought it was going to be. That's fine with me, I love Kiehl's! It's better than just Apple, because how big of a store do you need if you only have like 10 products to choose from? They do have software and accessories, but nothing that requires a huge space.

Edited by ct36

With the concentration of apartment units surrounding Millenia, I think an open air extension to the mall would be successful. An outdoor plaza with shops, restaurants, bars, etc, extending from the main mall entrance to Conroy Road (eating up the parking lot and taking over the area around Sushi Katana and Elephant Bar). The loss of parking could be back-filled with a parking garage behind the mall on the Macy's side.

I think this would also infuse a much needed dose of urban pedestrian activity to the increasingly popular Millenia neighborhood.

Thoughts?

With the concentration of apartment units surrounding Millenia, I think an open air extension to the mall would be successful. An outdoor plaza with shops, restaurants, bars, etc, extending from the main mall entrance to Conroy Road (eating up the parking lot and taking over the area around Sushi Katana and Elephant Bar). The loss of parking could be back-filled with a parking garage behind the mall on the Macy's side.

I think this would also infuse a much needed dose of urban pedestrian activity to the increasingly popular Millenia neighborhood.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, but they would have to carefully do it for to work. They would probably have to do it diagonally because I know that it wouldn't work with Neiman Marcus being where it is. Even though I really like the idea, I think that part of the reason why people love Millenia is because they can escape the Florida heat and shop, and they couldn't do that with a lifestyle portion. Pointe Orlando doesn't seem to be doing quite as well as it should, and there really aren't any others in the area. However, seeing as how Millenia would be part indoor, I think one could do better there. Besides, the mall has the second highest sales per square foot in Florida, with I assume Bal Harbour being #1 considering it does over $2000/square foot versus Millenia's $1100/square foot.

I like the idea, but they would have to carefully do it for to work. They would probably have to do it diagonally because I know that it wouldn't work with Neiman Marcus being where it is. Even though I really like the idea, I think that part of the reason why people love Millenia is because they can escape the Florida heat and shop, and they couldn't do that with a lifestyle portion. Pointe Orlando doesn't seem to be doing quite as well as it should, and there really aren't any others in the area. However, seeing as how Millenia would be part indoor, I think one could do better there. Besides, the mall has the second highest sales per square foot in Florida, with I assume Bal Harbour being #1 considering it does over $2000/square foot versus Millenia's $1100/square foot.

Didn't Florida Mall go "lifestyle center - open air" on the part that replaced Lord & Taylor? Any word on how that's doing?

(I have become the worst enemy of the malls as, other than perishables, I get just about everything on the web these days until SOMEONE gets us some retail downtown, so I haven't been to Florida Mall in ages.)

I always heard the original plans called for an entertainment / restaurant area as described - in the same format as Bay Street at International Plaza in Tampa--- the hill was to be excavated like Bay Street with parking below... Heck I would just love some covered parking there - even Fashion Square has a parking structure ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone thought about Mall at Millenia getting a Nordstrom? Salt Lake City is much smaller than Orlando and doesn't get the tourism, and they have 2 Nordstrom stores. Also, similar sized city Sacramento has 2, and cities with around 2.5 million in their metro like St. Louis and Denver, etc. have 2 and 3, respectively. The location I put it in is in the back of the mall, next to Macy's. I have a graphic for it, but I need to finish it and then upload it. I also added a large wing to the mall to connect to the new Nordstrom. Don't worry, I put a 3 level parking deck next to my Nordstrom and Macy's, so more parking spaces would be added than gotten rid of.

Even though those cities I mentioned are missing a Bloomingdale's, Saks, etc. and Orlando has all 4, I don't think it really would be too much. Within a few years, smaller city Austin will have 2 Nordstrom stores, 1 Saks and 1 Neiman Marcus, so if they can support all that I am sure Orlando can support another store. FL has a lot of Nordstrom stores already, and I can see them opening another store in Orlando, Jacksonville, and possibly another in Tampa before too long. Also, if there is room left they may open at University Town Center in Sarasota. South Florida is pretty overbuilt with Nordies, so I could only see them opening a Nordstrom in Broward county-hopefully at the Galleria since it needs something new.

What do you guys think about this? I think that Millenia should get an expansion seeing as how it makes so much money. Hopefully stores like All Saints, Gilly Hicks, Sephora, etc. and hopefully some other new to market stores. What stores would you want at Millenia?

I'm just happy we have a full-service Brooks Brothers opening again after the fiasco at Florida Mall so one of their tailors can figure out how to put cuffs on my khakis despite my very long legs. I still believe such a store would have been more successful north of 50, but alas they didn't ask me.

I think one would do well in Winter Park. I am not sure if there is a space large enough for them, though. They would do well alongside stores like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.

The space that is currently YOLO on Park Ave is available to lease. Really the only thing available on Park Ave that isn't on an extreme end of the road.

Scott Joseph is reporting this as a new concept Capital Grille Bistro

http://scottjosephor...all-at-millenia

The Sentinel didn't say anything about it being a new concept Capital Grille Bistro, but that might be better. It sounds like it will be a smaller, but cheaper restaurant. Hopefully it will be good and they will open others!! Hopefully they will open one in Charlotte since it is much closer to me. In Asheville we finally got Ruth's Chris last year, but I haven't been yet. I want to go, but it seems more overpriced than the Capital Grille. Oh well, this is definitely a restaurant I want to try on my next trip to Orlando!

The Mall at Millenia made the "Top 15 shopping centers by sales per square foot" list, coming in at #10. Orlando is in the company of Miami, NY, London, Dubai, LA, Sydney, and Las Vegas.

http://balharboursho...retail-trophies

Thanks for this, praha, as it points up just how hard it will be to get retail back down in spite of evidence to the contrary. Britt Beemer, Chairman of America's Research group and a supposed retail "expert" (he has been quoted in everything from CNN to the Sentinel) repeatedly made the case that upscale retail would never make it in Orlando - we were just a Walmart (and maybe Target when the tax refund checks come out) kind of town. Of course, he ignored completely the convention business and the fact that, about the same time, OC made in to the top 50 counties nationwide based on number of millionaires as reported in Florida Trend. So here we are with Millenia in the top sales/sf malls despite two huge outlet malls just up the street. (I'm going to just pass on noting that Britt's earlier career was working for Republican politicians). Anyway, the more important point is to show just what a herd mentality exists in retail. One wonders how long it will take an "expert" like Britt to decide downtown is a viable spot for retail again.

Oh, I forgot to note that Britt even lives in Orlando so it's not like he had no clue was going on in town if he bothered to drive around town.

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...