Florida Mall/Mall at Millenia

101_ce

This also may sound a bit over the top, but what about the new mega-development proposal on the corner of I-Drive and Kirkman? In their latest announcement, their retail square footage increased from 160,000 to 420,000 sq ft. Anyway, Nordstrom will certainly reappear in the Orlando market, it's just a matter of when and where. 

In today's MPB agenda, there are plans, and it doensn't include and "anchor" stores as far as I can tell.  http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/07/MPBStaffReport2014-07_MPL2014-10_and_Addendum.pdf

• Like 1

Could Nordstrom do better at another Orlando site?

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/07/could-nordstrom-do-better-at-another-orlando-site.html

Now is the time, DDB please call Nordstorm and put it at the Orlando Magic Complex or right next to Cresent Center....throw them some incentives.

Better yet..that the entire Valencie building downtown and change it into Nordstrom

• Like 3

Nordstrom putting stakes down in DTO is an awesome idea (and I think would pull in a lot of affluent shoppers from downtown, Winter Park, Seminole County, and Windermere) but I have to believe if the company is looking at another Orlando location it would be Millenia.  The comment made about Nordstrom & Nordstrom Rack stores doing better in close proximity to one another is a big hint, to me.

Nordstrom putting stakes down in DTO is an awesome idea (and I think would pull in a lot of affluent shoppers from downtown, Winter Park, Seminole County, and Windermere) but I have to believe if the company is looking at another Orlando location it would be Millenia.  The comment made about Nordstrom & Nordstrom Rack stores doing better in close proximity to one another is a big hint, to me.

As much as I would like this, there's no way Nordstrom's succeeds downtown.  Do we really think that they would have better performance downtown with little to no foot traffic to speak of versus Florida Mall which is extremely busy?

Sunshine, that is a BRILLIANT IDEA. :thumbsup: In fact, it was originally a department store (KRESS) so you'd be returning a department store to Main & Main after a 70 year absence??? The way that I know that everyone is concerned that they won't get the foot traffic, but the fact is that the urban retail experience has been co-opted by the enclosed mall and there is an entire generation that's is oblivious to this. 34th, State, and Grant Streets (NYC, Chicago, SF) are the best urban retail locations in the country and each has a major department store to anchor them: Macy's, Marshall Field's-now Macy's, and Macy's West. Some may be concerned about Nordstroms ability to attract foot traffic, but that can easily be mitigated by adjusting store hours to the peak times M-F 9-6 Closed Sunday and Saturday 10-9 or something similar to the Neiman Marcus downtown Dallas. This is the time to break out the check book. I doubt that Nordstrom wants to exit the market entirely and we all know that money talks and BS walks....

Actually, Kress was next door. The Chicone Building (until recently home of VCC administration) was the home of First National Bank at Orlando (one of the founding institutions of SunTrust) until it built its new building in the late 1950's (which is part of the SunTrust Tower complex now). It's an Orlando Historic Landmark, but we know how much respect Buddy has for those. My guess is it's too crampedc for Nordstrom to be interested - I used to go in there years ago when I was in SGA at VCC and it seemed cramped. The old Ivey's had much more space but I saw recently they were using it for startups now.

Nevertheless it's possible, but as I noted in a post above, Nordstrom recently shut their downtown Indy location due to competition with a later store they opened in the 'burbs. Hope springs eternal.

• 3 years later...
57 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

A sales associate at the Millenia Crate & Barrel told me tonight they're closing after the holidays. According to him, the mall didn't want to renew C&B's lease. They've already begun selling floor model furniture at discount.

So now they'll have room for yet another women's clothing store.

Great. 

That should up the percentage of stores in that mall that sell women's clothing from like 95% to 96%.

Can't wait to go back there someday.  :yawn:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

So now they'll have room for yet another women's clothing store.

Great. 

That should up the percentage of stores in that mall that sell women's clothing from like 95% to 96%.

Can't wait to go back there someday.  :yawn:

What would you want there? To me - the mall has always been two halves. One half is the high end stores and the other half are the more general consumer stores. It's a pretty dang good mall, not sure I have any complaints about it. 

On 12/12/2017 at 10:23 PM, orlandoguy said:

A sales associate at the Millenia Crate & Barrel told me tonight they're closing after the holidays. According to him, the mall didn't want to renew C&B's lease. They've already begun selling floor model furniture at discount.

It's official, according to the Sentinel and a mall spokesperson:

Crate and Barrel closing at Mall at Millenia
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-bz-crate-barrel-closing-millenia-20171219-story.html

Just one more reason, I suppose, that I haven't felt it necessary to go to a mall in years. To be fair, Class A malls, and specifically Millennia, appear to be holding their own.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Mall at Millenia updates:

1. Shoe maker @giuseppezanotti is opening next door to the coming-soon Hermes.
  2. The renovated ground floor starbucks is now open.
  3. There's a cool (to me) looking pop-up where Santa usually is. The structure is made out of white cylinder perfume boxes. The pop up is promoting Louis Vuitton's new perfume and cologne.
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Macy’s recently acquired “Story” is rolling out at 36 stores across the US. 

It’s good to see Millenia in the mix along with some of the most successful malls in retail (not to mention flagship locations like the Herald Square store in Manhattan).

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/10/macys-is-taking-36-stores-and-putting-a-new-kind-of-store-inside-them.html

From CNBC

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’m not sure what a Charming Charlie is but the chain, along with their 4 local stores, is closing.

Ironically, the four local stores were located in pretty successful malls and strip centers (well, not sure about Pointe Orlando).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-charming-charlie-store-closings-20190711-krqcg7ymqfd5pf76qapmqcz4le-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m not sure what a Charming Charlie is but the chain, along with their 4 local stores, is closing.

Ironically, the four local stores were located in pretty successful malls and strip centers (well, not sure about Pointe Orlando).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-charming-charlie-store-closings-20190711-krqcg7ymqfd5pf76qapmqcz4le-story.html

From the Sentinel 

You aren't going to believe this, but I actually know!  Four of my nieces were in town and guess who got stuck at the mall with them?  This idiot!  I thought that place had a funny name.  It was like a giant (it was big!) accessories store.  They had purses, scarves, hats, earrings, necklaces, etc.  They sold clothes in there, but I remember the accessories a lot more, so I think it was more focused on the stuff than the clothes.

If you ask me the other stores I was dragged into, I probably couldn't answer, but I liked the name of Charming Charlie.  I also (as weird as this is) was pleased that they seemed to divide a lot of things by color.  It made the place seem very balanced to me.  I had no interest in anything in there from a purchases standpoint, but I thought it was cool that green stuff was over here and brown stuff over there and red stuff on the other end.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Time for near-sighted hipsters to celebrate -  oh so cool online eyewear purveyor Warby Parker is opening at Mall of Millenia: 

Great.

Yet another reason for me to never go to Mall of Millennia. 

One of the bigger disappointments I've ever experienced in Orlando.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 7:47 AM, HankStrong said:

You aren't going to believe this, but I actually know!  Four of my nieces were in town and guess who got stuck at the mall with them?  This idiot!  I thought that place had a funny name.  It was like a giant (it was big!) accessories store.  They had purses, scarves, hats, earrings, necklaces, etc.  They sold clothes in there, but I remember the accessories a lot more, so I think it was more focused on the stuff than the clothes.

If you ask me the other stores I was dragged into, I probably couldn't answer, but I liked the name of Charming Charlie.  I also (as weird as this is) was pleased that they seemed to divide a lot of things by color.  It made the place seem very balanced to me.  I had no interest in anything in there from a purchases standpoint, but I thought it was cool that green stuff was over here and brown stuff over there and red stuff on the other end.

I think I'd probably like and appreciate that too.

But I would hope that they had more colors than just green, brown and red.

Blue, yellow and orange would be essential, at a minimum.

Toss purple, pink, black and white into the mix and I'd be crazy going nuts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Great.

Yet another reason for me to never go to Mall of Millennia. 

One of the bigger disappointments I've ever experienced in Orlando.

If only Nordstrom had gone to Millenia (btw, the misspelled version is the actual name of the mall), we’d probably still have one and I wouldn’t have to go to Tampa or Jax. Thankfully, I can return stuff at the Rack in WP.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

If only Nordstrom had gone to Millenia (btw, the misspelled version is the actual name of the mall), we’d probably still have one and I wouldn’t have to go to Tampa or Jax. Thankfully, I can return stuff at the Rack in WP.

If only they had a few interesting stores in there that sold merchandise I give half a crap about, I could actually go there once in awhile.

Who knows... maybe even buy something. 

Anything would be possible.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If only Nordstrom had gone to Millenia (btw, the misspelled version is the actual name of the mall)

Imagine if Trump staged a coup and appointed himself king.

He might order it changed to The Mall of Melania:shok:

• Haha 2