Florida Mall/Mall at Millenia

101_ce

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard rumors that Florida Mall is going through a gradual renovation soon, and that they have asked the individual anchor stores to update their exteriors. I don't have a link to confirm this, however. They might be putting it off since it gets downright crazy this time of the year.

Millenia should expand though to bring in and accommodate more stores or anchors wanting to come in, and for stores in the mall wanting to expand to add more collections, and a hotel perhaps. Like a W with a nice lounge/restaurant connecting to the mall or something along those lines. (I'll continue dreaming)

I've heard rumors that Florida Mall is going through a gradual renovation soon, and that they have asked the individual anchor stores to update their exteriors. I don't have a link to confirm this, however. They might be putting it off since it gets downright crazy this time of the year.

Millenia should expand though to bring in and accommodate more stores or anchors wanting to come in, and for stores in the mall wanting to expand to add more collections, and a hotel perhaps. Like a W with a nice lounge/restaurant connecting to the mall or something along those lines. (I'll continue dreaming)

I agree - it is definitely too crazy around this time of year to be working on anything. They definitely need a renovation, though. 

For Millenia, I would love to see a Nordstrom. I know, there's already one at Florida Mall, but I would rather have one at Millenia. I don't know if Simon would let them leave Florida Mall, and I don't know if Orlando could support both. However, Salt Lake City, which is nearly half the size of Orlando, had 3 Nordstrom stores at one point but now has 2, so it is possible. I think the best place would probably be in the back of the mall between Macy's and the food court. They could significantly expand the mall and add a 3 level Nordstrom store in that amount of space, and put a parking deck between Nordstrom and Macy's. Also, they could take out Crate & Barrel and move it to a freestanding space and put a new wing with a Saks there, but Saks definitely couldn't open two stores in Orlando and Simon probably wouldn't let them move either because there really isn't anything left to replace them with, and even less with the uncertainty of JCPenney and Sears. Imagine Florida Mall with only Dillard's and Macy's? Doesn't sound very good. I bet Nordstrom wished they had chosen Millenia. Then again, having all four (Saks, NM, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdale's) would probably be too repetitive and maybe too upscale for Millenia along with all of the boutique openings lately. 

It was announced this week that Hudson's Bay Company is buying Saks. Soon, maybe you can stock up on beaver pelts! That will hopefully shake Florida Mall up <g>. Florida Mall seems to have been cursed from the day Ed DeBartolo first envisioned it back in the '60's (it took until 1986 to finally open, and even then the only anchors were Sears, JCPenney and Belk.) Because it was the first to prosper as a result of the massive purchases by Brazilian tour groups, it morphed into an upscale mall, but it seemed poorly designed from the beginning, and I still find it a pain to get to, park at and navigate once inside. I was grateful that Brooks Brothers moved to Millenia, but that's totally a personal opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

No lol.

Now for Millenia:

Sephora will take over express woman's. nothing yet for men's side.

H&m will take the old forever 21. I hope it's clean.

The new forever 21& express opened up and they look just like the International plaza stores. Glad they're more open and clean.

All saints Is taking the old guess spot.

Nothing yet for old cache spot, express men's, and old Michael kors store.

At Florida mall:

Garage took up the old bellagio jewelers spot in the sears wing.

Fox racing is taking the old billabong.

Billabong took the old abz toys store.

American eagle is still being remodeled.

At the Vineland premium outlets:

Marc ecko closed.

Outlet expansion will be done before Black Friday.

Saks off 5th is the only confirmed store. And Neiman Marcus isn't going in.

Since Neiman Marcus isn't going in I really hope it's a Bloomingdale's Outlet Store. I went to the one in the Dolphin Mall Miami and it was actually pretty nice. I also heard rumors of a Tom Ford store coming to the outlets.

Apple has started their expansion at Florida Mall, and should open next month or September, supposedly. 

At Millenia, Sony Style is moving somewhere on level 1 and Microsoft is opening a location on level 2. 

The Apple store just opened this week in the old Pottery Barn space, it has much higher ceilings which makes a huge difference when it is very busy, it doesn't feel as overwhelming. The Apple space is now being split into a new Bose store, and a new Aldo, and I believe the old White House Black Market space will be a Polaroid "Fotobar". Build-a-Bear workshop is remodeling.

The Sony store must have opened recently, it is really nice inside. Microsoft is taking over the old Express Men's location. And when did the Pinkberry close???

The Sony store must have opened recently, it is really nice inside. Microsoft is taking over the old Express Men's location. And when did the Pinkberry close???

Apparently the fro-yo bubble fburst. All of the Pinkberry stores in the Orlando market have closed. This article posits that local competition, high prices, high start-up costs, and a decline in the nation's fro-yo fever were all to blame.

http://orlandobuzz.com/orlando-pinkberry-stores-closing/

Apparently the fro-yo bubble fburst. All of the Pinkberry stores in the Orlando market have closed. This article posits that local competition, high prices, high start-up costs, and a decline in the nation's fro-yo fever were all to blame.

http://orlandobuzz.com/orlando-pinkberry-stores-closing/

If anyone didn't see this happening I don't know what to say. They built a froyo place in about every strip which far exceeded the real demand for froyo. These franchises really seem to screw people as there is 0 reason you need to spend $300k to open one of these up. You can get a couple Emery Thompson machines for under 30k and then do another 20-50k on buildout and have everything done. The chemicals to make the product are realllllly cheap as well. Meanwhile you have lean businesses like Jeremiahs just killing it with no end in sight to their dominance here.

If anyone didn't see this happening I don't know what to say. They built a froyo place in about every strip which far exceeded the real demand for froyo. These franchises really seem to screw people as there is 0 reason you need to spend $300k to open one of these up. You can get a couple Emery Thompson machines for under 30k and then do another 20-50k on buildout and have everything done. The chemicals to make the product are realllllly cheap as well. Meanwhile you have lean businesses like Jeremiahs just killing it with no end in sight to their dominance here.

It also seems like there's a frozen yogurt craze every few years. And each time, it's always hyped as if frozen yogurt is a new thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the Business Journal, rumour has it that Saks is closing. Orlando is a strong luxury market, but with Saks being weak overall and Florida Mall not being the best for luxury stores I suppose it isn't too off. Besides, I know Louis Vuitton and Chanel have closed their boutiques inside the store. I wonder if Nordstrom will jump ship to Millenia? 

If one of those anchor store at The Florida Mall (Saks or Nordstrom) leave, they should should consider converting one of them to a Macy's Mens and Home Furnishings store, since the only specialized Macy's Home Furnishings in the Orlando are is in Altamonte Springs, I believe. 

Edited by aleonrivera

If one of those anchor store at The Florida Mall (Saks or Nordstrom) leave, they should should consider converting one of them to a Macy's Mens and Home Furnishings store, since the only specialized Macy's Home Furnishings in the Orlando are is in Altamonte Springs, I believe. 

There is also one on the 2nd floor at Fashion Square.

• 2 weeks later...

With 2 anchors closing in Florida Mall (if the rumors are true) by 2017 what are your thoughts on Florida Mall becoming a Mills branded property?  I'm sure Simon is wanting to expand their newly acquired brand some but were probably holding off till after the recession.  With Florida Mall is such desperate need of updating, especially the hotel and older wings of the mall, this might be a good way to get back some of those shoppers that Disney Springs, CityWalk (with its rumored 2.0 coming to the I-Drive area by 2021), and Millenia has siphoned off.     Thoughts?

Edited by klstorey

With 2 anchors closing in Florida Mall (if the rumors are true) by 2017 what are your thoughts on Florida Mall becoming a Mills branded property?  I'm sure Simon is wanting to expand their newly acquired brand some but we're probably holding off till after the recession.  With Florida Mall is such desperate need of updating, especially the hotel and older wings of the mall, this might be a good way to get back some of those shoppers that Disney Springs, CityWalk (with it's rumored 2.0 coming to the I-Drive area by 2021), and Millenia has siphoned off.  

Thoughts?

Actually, here's something to chew on.  If and when a rail link is built between OIA and the Convention Center, the right-of-way used would most likely follow the same path as the preferred route of the HSR proposal in 2010.  Most of the right-of-way is from the Beachline Expressway, which happens to pass directly south of the Florida Mall.  Doubtful this line will be true electrified HSR or Maglev, but a diesel locomotive, albeit a little more sleek than the clunky SunRail locomotive built to FRA standards (as it would be a passenger-only railroad).  Therefore, such a line could allow for a stop at the Florida Mall, which could turn the Florida Mall and surrounding development into a transit-oriented development.  All of that asphalt parking between the hotel on the south side of the mall and a potential rail step would become attractive for mixed use development.  A Mills/Simon outlet mall would be ludicrous for such a location; if anything any loss in anchor tenants could be replaced by parking decks, offices, or residential similar to what you see in Bethesda, Rosslyn, or Arlington, VA.  The Florida Mall, a classic example of everything wrong with how Orlando was planned and developed in the 70's and 80's, could be replaced by something more appropriate for 2020.

Does anyone know how Sears and JCPenney are doing? Both aren't doing well as a whole, but I would guess that they would be doing better at FL mall compared to other stores. I know there are Saks rumours about them closing. Also, the 172,000 square foot Nordstrom at the Florida Mall carries less items than the 79,000 square foot store in Naples. It would be awful for Florida Mall if Nordstrom, Saks, Sears, and JCPenney closed. I don't think that Saks would open a new location in Orlando, but what about Nordstrom? Would it be too much for Nordstrom to join Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus at Millenia? I can't see them leaving the Orlando market altogether. It's too strong of a market, and they would do fine with a better location. 

My understanding is that both Sears and Penney's do better in Orlando than many comparable markets (Sears especially has a strong history in Puerto Rico), but that is of course relative as Eddie Lampert's stewardship of Sears suggests it may be gone within a decade. Mike Ullman's triage effort at Penney seems to be working, but the question is whether the customers he's attracted back after Ron Johnson's debacle are the right demographic for future growth.

Florida Mall's adventure in upscale retailing was mostly a fluke I've talked about before and I think Millennia has mostly stolen their thunder. Given the surrounding population and its ownership by Simon, I don't expect them to let it go the way of West Oaks or Fashion Square (note that Sanford Town Center was on a similar trajectory to West Oaks and Oviedo but then Sanford, the Simon mall, sent in H&M to give it some panache and stop the bleeding to some extent, unlike the other two). My guess would be Florida Mall goes the mid-regional route like Altamonte, with some higher-end specialty stores remaining like the Apple Store and Banana Republic, while ceding the luxury market to Millenia. That's totally just a guess, though.

Florida Mall and Millenia are just too close to each other, in my opinion. I'm surprised the malls each do relatively well. Certain stores in Florida Mall do better than some of the same stores in Millenia and vice versa. They each have aggressive marketing here and internationally. If Florida Mall does some changes in the layout of parking, flow and landscaping, they should be fine because Millenia is essentially an island in a not-so-desirable area just like Florida Mall. Millennia just doesn't have the long history, baggage and stigma Florida Mall has had over the years. Florida should just capitalize in the mid to just under high end inventory with Millenia's aggressive push to keeping a complete high-end selection and eventually the two mall can complement each other, which they almost do. We see the the same thing all throughout South Florida, where there are numerous malls in such a small area, yet most of them complement each other in a way each offering the basics as well as something others do not have.  In an ideal world, I think a high-end mall in the south end of the metro (Millenia now) and one in the north end (possibly Lake Mary area or even Altamonte Mall) would have done well with a shopping district downtown, balancing each in a way avoiding a saturation of the market (I'll keep dreaming).

Anyway, kudos to both Florida Mall and Millenia though. Their competitiveness has brought us many stores we never dreamt of having in Orlando even a few years ago, and have managed to surprise us as well as the retail industry. 

Edited by aleonrivera

I sat through a presentation by Macy's CEO in New York where he used Florida Mall & Millenia Mall as examples of why they allow for local market customization. He pointed out how at first glance you would close one of the stores because they are too close to each other. But after they customized each store to the clientele, both stores are among the top performing stores in the country. 

Also regarding the Macy's Home Furnishings I believe those are usually not in Malls...but not 100% sure.