Florida Mall/Mall at Millenia

101_ce

9 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Was is a loud noise of banging pots from thousands of feet away or a gunshot?

We may never know as we’ve discovered lately that trusting police reports is at best problematic.

Tbh, I always questioned the wisdom of such an upscale mall surrounded by economically challenged neighborhoods.

The original concept for such a mall was the Orlando Galleria, which was to have been on land where Universal is now.

Edited by spenser1058

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The planned merger of Simon (Florida Mall, I-Drive and LBV Premium Outlets) and Taubman (Mall at Millenia) has fallen apart, ostensibly due to COVID-19 issues. The Orlando centers will continue to operate as before.

https://therealdeal.com/2020/06/10/simon-axes-3-6b-taubman-buy/

From The Real Deal

My understanding is Taubman is suing to force the transaction... so its now unlikely, but not impossible. We'll have to wait to see what the settlement is.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

To be fair, I have never been in an Apple store either.

I have a couple of times but they tend to be crowded (at least before COVID) so it has been rare. The Microsoft stores rarely seemed as busy - somewhere, the late Steve Jobs is smirking at that fact.

5 hours ago, HankStrong said:

To be fair, I have never been in an Apple store either.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I have a couple of times but they tend to be crowded (at least before COVID) so it has been rare. The Microsoft stores rarely seemed as busy - somewhere, the late Steve Jobs is smirking at that fact.

I went into the one at Millennia once.

Took one look around and walked back out. 

• 1 year later...

Malls like West Oaks, Fashion Square and Regency Square in Jacksonville all fell into decline because many shoppers felt that they were increasingly unsafe.

Meanwhile, the Mall at Millenia has had its most recent killing and is much closer to sketchy neighborhoods (behind it) than any of the above. After 20 years, will Milennia remain the region’s premiere upscale mall if this kind of police activity continues? 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-orlando-officer-shooting-millenia-conroy-20220529-pr6yca2zwvdazj6jv3edgnyfqi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

If not, where would stores like Nieman and Bloomie’s go?

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Malls like West Oaks, Fashion Square and Regency Square in Jacksonville all fell into decline because many shoppers felt that they were increasingly unsafe.

Meanwhile, the Mall at Millenia has had its most recent killing and is much closer to sketchy neighborhoods (behind it) than any of the above. After 20 years, will Milennia remain the region’s premiere upscale mall if this kind of police activity continues? 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-orlando-officer-shooting-millenia-conroy-20220529-pr6yca2zwvdazj6jv3edgnyfqi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Well DeSantis said he's gonna implement "constitutional" carry before his tenure is over, so I'm sure the gun violence problem in Florida will be over soon. (sarcasm)

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:52 AM, spenser1058 said:

From The Sentinel 

I think Millenia will be fine because even though locals do go there, as opposed to let's say Florida Mall, a LARGE portion of Millenia's business comes from out of town guests and tourists. The chances of them hearing anything about sketchy activity is low unless it happens when they are there. It's also a genuinely nice/good mall (as far as malls go).

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:52 AM, spenser1058 said:

From The Sentinel 

I had a friend in 2000 that was a cop that warned me about West Oaks Mall, the cinema specifically.  At the time, I was like, oblivious...

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 10:38 AM, orange87 said:

Well DeSantis said he's gonna implement "constitutional" carry before his tenure is over, so I'm sure the gun violence problem in Florida will be over soon. (sarcasm)

If every good guy has a gun... (more sarcasm) 

I may have told this story here before, but about 10 years ago a former coworker bought his wife a gun, took her to classes, and she got a CC permit.  She was mugged (he didn't have a weapon apparently) at a seedy gas station and the mugger stole the gun she was trying to pull out of her purse.  He then held the wife at gunpoint.  One more gun on the street!  My coworker was saying how he still felt safer with her having a gun.  She declined to get another gun due to the trauma of being held at gunpoint.  Flash forward to about 3 years ago.  He has since moved away, but told us how when he was involved in a road rage incident (I'm going to guess he was the instigator knowing him) where the person tried to flee on foot and so he pulled his gun out (no shots fired) and the person didn't flee.  Somehow the situation calmed down, the person got him talking, swiped his gun, and threw it in the retention pond or something?  He was livid that the person ruined his gun.  He didn't see the comedy in the fact that in *two of two* circumstances in his family where they were going to be the good guy with a gun they both had their guns taken from them and couldn't perform their superhero roles.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, HankStrong said:

If every good guy has a gun... (more sarcasm) 

I may have told this story here before, but about 10 years ago a former coworker bought his wife a gun, took her to classes, and she got a CC permit.  She was mugged (he didn't have a weapon apparently) at a seedy gas station and the mugger stole the gun she was trying to pull out of her purse.  He then held the wife at gunpoint.  One more gun on the street!  My coworker was saying how he still felt safer with her having a gun.  She declined to get another gun due to the trauma of being held at gunpoint.  Flash forward to about 3 years ago.  He has since moved away, but told us how when he was involved in a road rage incident (I'm going to guess he was the instigator knowing him) where the person tried to flee on foot and so he pulled his gun out (no shots fired) and the person didn't flee.  Somehow the situation calmed down, the person got him talking, swiped his gun, and threw it in the retention pond or something?  He was livid that the person ruined his gun.  He didn't see the comedy in the fact that in *two of two* circumstances in his family where they were going to be the good guy with a gun they both had their guns taken from them and couldn't perform their superhero roles.

If I may, with no offense to you or your former coworker:  1) You shouldn't road rage, and 2) you shouldn't go to seedy gas stations.  To each his or her own.  

Now let me tell you a gun story:

This was way more than 10 years ago.  A past friend in college...his girlfriend had a student roommate. His girlfriend comes home one evening, discovers her roommate's dead body in their apartment/townhouse.  The killer is still there. He gives chase, stabbing her on her backside as she is running up the stairs.  She frantically goes into her hutch and grabs a revolver her boyfriend gave her, turns it on the killer, and he tucks tail and flees down the stairs.  She stumbles to the balcony, literally hanging off the edge bleeding to death, crying for help.  Someone sees her, calls the ambulance/authorities.  She ends up at the hospital intensive care for weeks, but makes a recovery, and has many scars on her body from stab wounds.  The killer is in hiding now, and is in the rural brush.  He goes and hides in a rural trailer that is at the moment unoccupied.  The owners (redneck hunters) return, get his ass at gunpoint and call the authorities.   He is then prosecuted.  It turned out later that the deceased roommate and the killer knew each other.