What will follow all the hotels in SOBRO

nashwatcher

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan is not yet a plan....that will happen in January. The rendering is just the first thought process and pass. It is of a "lengthened arts district" 5th Ave. The main focus is on street grids and green space as well as flood mitigation. In the end it is just a model and does not require anyone to actually follow it. That part is unfortunate.

I really hope this area of town develops rapidly and as organically as possible. I like the rendering that includes the old 1800s house on 5th Avenue... and love the pedestrian access in those schemes. I do wonder if there will be very tall buildings rise along KVB, as that's the only place where height is virtually unlimited.

Did anyone else notice the first picture in the linked article? The Pinnacle building almost looks invisible. Kinda neat.

• 3 weeks later...

Article in the 10 E C N today about the hotel shortage around the MCC. I will bet we get 2 or 3 and maybe evn 4 full service hotels but it seems they may all be waiting on TIF.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121109/NEWS01/311090066/Music-City-Center-loses-out-conventions-because-hotel-void?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}

They are talking 2 to 3 thousand full service hotel rooms around the center and they are missing out on conventions because of the lack of rooms.

Article in the 10 E C N today about the hotel shortage around the MCC. I will bet we get 2 or 3 and maybe evn 4 full service hotels but it seems they may all be waiting on TIF.

http://www.tennessea...ab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}

They are talking 2 to 3 thousand full service hotel rooms around the center and they are missing out on conventions because of the lack of rooms.

I hope that something happens sooner than later. I would hate to lose large conventions due to this. This seems like a perfect time for Signature Tower to rise as an all hotel project. Heck maybe even luxury apartments as well. I think Signature Tower would fit in SoBro well. What do you guys think? I know I bring up Signature Tower quite a bit, but I really liked the design of the building. Even if it were shorter say like 50 or 55 stories, it would still make a statement in the skyline from SoBro. I wonder if the idea is completely dead?

http://www.tennessea...ab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}

I really am kind of surprised more haven't been announced and started!

I hope that something happens sooner than later. I would hate to lose large conventions due to this. This seems like a perfect time for Signature Tower to rise as an all hotel project. Heck maybe even luxury apartments as well. I think Signature Tower would fit in SoBro well. What do you guys think? I know I bring up Signature Tower quite a bit, but I really liked the design of the building. Even if it were shorter say like 50 or 55 stories, it would still make a statement in the skyline from SoBro. I wonder if the idea is completely dead?

I feel ya. I really liked Siggy too. For the most part it is probably dead unless someone decides to pick up the design which I would say is highly unlikely. Could be wrong. As for working as an all hotel, it could work I guess, but I am not sure how tall it could be or the business aspect to it. For example, would some apartments and office space be feasible? I doubt TG would have anything to do with it, as he has shifted his focus to 505 and the SoBro so it would have to be more than likely a totally different source. I know Nashville is hot right now, but I am not sure if a building of this size could be feasible at the moment either, unless it is mostly hotel. Again, I could be wrong, but with WES, Hensler, and TG's projects, injecting office space and apartments might be a stretch. I could see a 40-50 story hotel, but trends and history point to this being unlikely. I hope we are surprised and a developer gets one done. Maybe you could convince the guitar guys to go with a Siggy design and incorporate a small guitar motiff/design to satisfy their fetish :P!!! Like have some of the windows be different material so that designs could be fit in that way?? But at ~50 stories, a Siggy-type would be nice. Could go on KVB where there is no height limit right across from the MCC, hint, hint, hint...

Honestly I have resigned myself that the only other "tall" building we will see is going to be at 5th and Church. After that, we will be a city that builds new between 200' and maybe 450'. And I have basically accepted that and am becoming more comfortable with it. We have a unique skyline and once we fill that centerpiece, everything else is ancillarry.

Honestly I have resigned myself that the only other "tall" building we will see is going to be at 5th and Church. After that, we will be a city that builds new between 200' and maybe 450'. And I have basically accepted that and am becoming more comfortable with it. We have a unique skyline and once we fill that centerpiece, everything else is ancillarry.

Hmmm, I recall a very stagnant period in Nashville back when I was at Vandy, when out of the blue the Bellsouth tower (still the city's tallest) was announced. You never know.

And funny that I was typing in this thread when I heard on the radio here in Chatty, the news about Nashville losing convention biz because there is a shortage of luxury hotel rooms. So I have reflected a lot lately on this dilemma in light of all the limited service hotels proposed for the area, and really expected that the guy who's Insighter on SSC would have dived into the fray with a huge luxury hotel proposal. I think his name is Bloom and he owns the Hilton and lots of land around SoBro. But I guess I don't know a thing about the R-E biz.

This will add pressure to grant TIF financing to the folks proposing the Lower Broadway Hotel between 2nd/3rd. Plus, I'm still looking for something to pop up either south or west of the convention center. In the mean time, hotel rates will probably rise precipitously in the existing hotels throughout Nashville, including in the Airport area, that include meeting space.

I do think the next "big" skyscraper (400+ ft) will be at Tony's site, whether or not it is 505CST (that might end up being a little too expensive/ambitious at this time -- I hope not). But after that, it's hard to say. I think a lot of it depends on demand. If there is enough demand to build downtown, I think you'll see the buildings get taller. If not, we'll probably see more modest proposals. I don't think we'll ever see an Atlanta-like commercial building boom, and we'd be extremely lucky to get anything like the bigger Charlotte buildings...but you can never tell what the future holds.

To tell you the truth, I like the direction we're taking right now. Rather than getting frustrated over numerous big time commercial proposals, we are raising the quality of our street-life through a large number of infill projects. As a few people have pointed out before, there are a lot of wonderful cities that don't rely on a huge skyline to impress. So if it's the choice between one 750-1,000 footer or three 300-400 footers, I'll take the latter.

Back to Siggy and bruceman's comments. To tell you the truth, as much as I liked Signature in terms of it's shape and design, I thought it would look quite out of place in Nashville, being twice as tall or more than pretty much every other building in town (outside of Batman's spires). I see it the same way as the Devon Energy Tower in OKC. It's a beautiful tower, but it dwarfs downtown, and in a strange way, sort of detracts from the skyline. I do believe that 505CST would be a much better centerpiece. It would be tallest (looking) building in town, but it wouldn't be out of proportion. I also think 505 has a much more interesting design (Siggy is more of a classic piece - 505 would easily be our most modern skyscraper architecturally).

I wouldn't mind seeing a "mini-sig" of 40 or so stories go in SoBro, though. Right around 500 feet, give or take a spire. I think the issue right now would be where to put it.

[snip]

To tell you the truth, I like the direction we're taking right now. Rather than getting frustrated over numerous big time commercial proposals, we are raising the quality of our street-life through a large number of infill projects. As a few people have pointed out before, there are a lot of wonderful cities that don't rely on a huge skyline to impress.

[snip]

I do believe that 505CST would be a much better centerpiece. It would be tallest (looking) building in town, but it wouldn't be out of proportion. I also think 505 has a much more interesting design (Siggy is more of a classic piece - 505 would easily be our most modern skyscraper architecturally).[snip]

I agree absolutely. I want a large, dense walkable, livable core and tall buildings don't really help that, I dont' believe. Paris is the most densely populated city in the western world, and is mostly 6 stories, all right up to the street and no space in between. If you look at the densest cities in the US, Palm Beach, West Hollywood, Hoboken, they're not tall, just compact. What I'm eager for is more developments like Elliston 23, Pine st flats, etc, with hopefully more on the moderately priced side, and fillng in all the vacant bits in between.

I do think a 75 story building in Nashville would not look good on the skyline (not that I care much about skylines, but Nashville's is nice). I love 505 CST and wish that future tall Nashville buildings may be as daring and as environmentally advanced. And Dubai-like.

You're right about tall not necessarily equating to dense. Even in Chicago, the overwhelming majority of the city is 3-story brownstones and townhouses (2-4 stories, averaging about 3) that give way at the edges to 2-story bungalows, all built up to the street or pretty close to it. The high-rise buildings tend to congregate near the lake in a pretty narrow strip. Whereas the Loop used to be dead at night until the universities started turning the historic buildings downtown into college dormitories.

Here in Nashville, we used to have quite a bit of discussion (ok, debate) on this board about the desirability of either taller or shorter, pedestrian-scale buildings in an either/or sense. We're now getting is kind of a compromise: lots of buildings that range from 4 to about 22 stories. I'm pretty happy overall with how things are going.

I'm not concerned about a lack of tall HQ office tower announcements at the moment. At least with the taller residential (condo or apt) and hotel buildings that are coming on line, they are full of people at night. That adds more ongoing street activity and density than office buildings, which tend to be pretty empty at night.

So if 505CST gets built, I'm hoping for a hotel with residential.

Archived