What will follow all the hotels in SOBRO

nashwatcher

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To tell you the truth, I like the direction we're taking right now. Rather than getting frustrated over numerous big time commercial proposals, we are raising the quality of our street-life through a large number of infill projects. As a few people have pointed out before, there are a lot of wonderful cities that don't rely on a huge skyline to impress. So if it's the choice between one 750-1,000 footer or three 300-400 footers, I'll take the latter.

I have come around to this position also. I really like looking at the huge skyscrapers and I think they are impressive achievements, but for actually creating a great place to live, work, and play, I think dense development of 3-20 stories is the way to go. It isn't as sexy, but it creates an environment people like to be in.

i've got a strong hunch that in 5-10 years you will see a strong retail and residential presence in SoBro, and neighboring areas. with the riverfront developing, the beginnings of mass transit, increased tourism from the convention center, etc...it's going to be a fun journey to watch it all come together...

Yes, the convention center, and the hotels that are following it, are likely to spur some retail. Let's hope that it is retail other than tee shirt/boots/hats stores.

It will take quite a bit more apartments/condos in that area, but eventually there will be a need for a grocery store somewhere in Sobro/Rutledge/LaFayette (according to the Downtown Code plans, Sobro ends at Peabody, but you get the idea). The grocery store could even serve the Metro Fulton campus on Second Ave South if those workers needed to stop for something on the way home from work.

• 3 weeks later...

If Metro leaders were really smart... and the developers of the Gulch.  They would get together to see how they could put a trolley line down 11th Avenue from Charlotte... and ultimately wrap all the way along an extended Division Street to 2nd Avenue.

It would need to go counter-clockwise, then. Not that it's a big issue.

If you wanted a two-way version, you could utilize 3rd Ave, instead. 

I like the plans to increase connectivity in that part of Nashville.  The pedestrian bridge makes a lot of sense to me.  Like UTGrad said, that would create a clear linear path from the Gulch all the way to (and over) the river.

So would division Street hook into Ash?

Every time I see an aerial picture I am just stunned by the massive size of the music city center.  

I like the plans to increase connectivity in that part of Nashville.  The pedestrian bridge makes a lot of sense to me.  Like UTGrad said, that would create a clear linear path from the Gulch all the way to (and over) the river.

So would division Street hook into Ash?

Every time I see an aerial picture I am just stunned by the massive size of the music city center.  

Not real sure if it would tie into Ash or Mulberry. Either one could work.

Not real sure if it would tie into Ash or Mulberry. Either one could work.

I glanced through the Nashville MPO's severely long PDF doc about transit/development (old news) earlier today...I did notice that it appeared that it would tie in to Ash St. The positive to Ash over Mulberry is that Ash connects all the way to 2nd. Mulberry only connects to 5th. I think the MPO envisioned a downtown circulator connecting the Fulton campus to the Gulch.

Large foreign developers are eyeing the SoBro area, envisioning large developments in tourism/office/and retail in the next few years. Investments in the street grid and infrastructure will likely encourage more investment in SoBro, and the Rutledge/Rolling Mill Hill area...   

Along with connecting Division to 2nd Ave, I think street beautification along 2nd would go along way as well in terms of bringing energy and development dollars to this area... 

Great find Kevin. Answers some questions

Yes it does.

This one, in particular, interested me.

http://www.nashvillempo.org/regional_plan/land_use/moving_tennessee_foward.aspx

Though it really belongs in the mass transit thread, it's something worth looking over. Some of the little bits and pieces transportation plans make a lot more sense when you look at the big picture. It also does a great job comparing what is working for other cities and how it might be applied here. It's 300+ pages, so it takes some time to look through the whole thing...but I like the way they try to tackle the problem as a region rather than just Nashville's core or Davidson County (though the vast majority of it is about Nashville itself).

To tie this back into SoBro and make it thread-relevant, pages 44-45 provide an interesting vision of how increasingly relevant SoBro might become to our future transportation plans.

Aside from a future Gulch/SoBro/downtown circulator that would use the already mentioned extension of Division St...

(For you GoogleMappers: Division @ 12th to Ash to 3rd to Lindsley to Academy Pl to Hermitage to 1st to Broad to 2nd to Commerce to 8th to Demonbreun to 12th back to Division)

...almost all of the corridor "rapid transit" lines (8th/Nolensville/Lafayette/East-West Connector/Germantown and SoBro circulators) would circle the general block of 8th, KVB, 1st, and Broad. This would give this area a tremendous advantage in terms of development because of it's access to almost every urban center and corridor in town. It seems like it would more or less act like a subway loop does in some cities where several lines run concurrently and major stations connect multiple lines.

Of course, this does not seem to be on the close horizon by any means...but the quicker things start, the more potential I can see for the SoBro area going supernova in terms of development. Hotels, offices, residential, retail...you name it. It could all be in SoBro eventually.

Archived