Tapps Building - Downtown Columbia

emerging.me

This is the Tapp's Department Store building in downtown Columbia that has been converted into loft apartments with an antique/local speciality interiors market on the ground floor. When I was kid, I would tag along with my mom and grandmother on shopping trips. There was definitely something kind of charming about the place then (I have lots of little memories of it), and they've done some really cool stuff to the building today. Keeping lots of the original elements. Some really neat lofts. Sounding like an ad now... the prices range from $700 to an absurd (for Columbia) $1350 per month -- that's for the mack daddy loft with the big window facing Main Street (obscured by the tree in the pic below). Toured them last fall -- all kinds of awesome.

41416pic1.jpg

41416pic2.jpg

More/better pics on the way...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was also a really good cafe in the basement that was famous for their vegetable soup and corn sticks -- I was like 5 and I still remember them. Supposedly, there's a new restaurant going in there.

Here are some more images...

41416pic8.jpg

41416pic10.jpg

41416pic11.jpg

^^^

These are all of the same loft -- the $1350 per month one with the big window that faces Main Street. I dunno if they've ever rented it.

Here's a virtual tour.

Another downtown Cola loft note...

Toured a real neat apartment in the old Eckerds building (next door and above Jammin' Java -- a really neat subterranean coffee house hangout of mine) on Main Street. It was super-nice with a balcony that looks out over Main Street -- directly across from the art museum. I'll be surprised if I can find any pics of it, but I'll look...

More on the Barringer building:

"Developers Tom Prioreschi and Ron Mohling stood at the entrance of their newly completed condominium project on 1546 Main St. and greeted dapper Columbians who came - as one woman put it - because of the "downtown buzz."

For the developers, the 10-unit, upscale building in the old Silver's five-and-dime was their third downtown residential project.

In about a year, Capitol Places - the company Prioreschi owns with his wife, Madeline, and Mohling - will complete its most ambitious project, the developers said. The renovated Barringer building at 1338 Main St., which houses offices on the bottom two levels, will offer about 75 apartments on the top 10 floors. "

The State

Barringer.jpg

• 4 months later...

In Greenville Centenial American Properties turned an old mill in to awsome loft condos called the Lofts at Mills Mill and it has been very successful. So much that another company has come in from out of state to turn another mill into apartments in Greenville. That same company has plans for one in Spartanburg and Clemson as well.

Brad

Where in Spartanburg?

I have always liked the idea of reusing old mills like that. They have the old Whaley's Mill as a student-oriented housing deal here in Cola, and they are rennovating to more in Olympia (Granbly and Olympia Mill) Which is just downt the road from Whaley.

It didnt mention which one, the articel was mainly about the one in Greenville, and I wish I could remember which one in Greenville it was.

The one in spartanburg could have been spartanburg's second one, there was one that burned down that was going to be turned into Condos.

Brad

The one that burned was the Glendale Mill. I live sorta near there. I have a few pics of it burning. It was a hell of a fire. I knew they were planning to put apartments/condos there. In fact, I have heard that they are still considering rebuilding. The site has been cleared of rubble, but the towers were left standing.

glendalemillaftermath01.jpg

GlendaleMillonfire01.jpg

GlendaleMillonfire02.jpg

glendalemillonfire_cam08.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

glendalemillonfire_cam20.jpg

I'm not sure where the other one could be. There are mills all over that haven't been torn down. Most of the ones near Spartanburg have been though.

• 3 months later...

Seemed like the most appropriate place to add this. I noticed on the Tax Sale list that Capital Places hasn't paid their taxes on the Barringer Building -- they owe just under $70,000.  Whew.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I emailed the developer. Demolition is done (March 05) and they should start construction within the next 90 days once final plans are completed. Mashburn Construction will be doing the work. The hold up has been with it being a historical renovation. There is a great detail of work that needs to be done with the historical people to keep the integrity of the building.

Archived