America's largest overlooked cities

I was going by the last census which was 2003 and had San Antonio in fron to Dallas, now of course San Antonio can't touch Dallas on Metro or core strength.

The Census Estimates in 2003 were county by county, not per city. So while Bexar County might have a higher population than Dallas County, the city limits of each city don't include the whole county's population. So its hard to say which has a higher population. (Unless of course there is some local data that I might not know about)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Census Estimates in 2003 were county by county, not per city. So while Bexar County might have a higher population than Dallas County, the city limits of each city don't include the whole county's population. So its hard to say which has a higher population. (Unless of course there is some local data that I might not know about)

The Census did city estimates in 2003.

http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/cities/...-EST2003-01.pdf

SA was listed as having 1,214,000 and Dallas as having 1,208,000.

Dallas County has a higher population than Bexar County, since Dallas County has several more suburbs located in it.

The following are Texas County populations as of 2000 census:

1. Harris County (Houston) - 3,401,000

2. Dallas County (Dallas) - 2,219,000

3. Tarrant County (Fort Worth) - 1,446,000

4. Bexar County (San Antonio) - 1,393,000

5. Travis County (Austin) - 815,000

The Census did city estimates in 2003.

http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/cities/...-EST2003-01.pdf

SA was listed as having 1,214,000 and Dallas as having 1,208,000.

Thanks Sleepy.

That county by county is not a real guide for city and suberbs because I know Houston city limits is in both Harris and Ft. Bend. Houston rules Texas in everyway except media.

Back to what this discussion is about. I think Oakland is very underrated because of where it is in refernce to the Bay. If not for The Raider's, A's Too Short and Hammer. You wouldn't hear much about the City. Just the Ugly side of the bay. I love Oaktown myself.

Back to what this discussion is about. I think Oakland is very underrated because of where it is in refernce to the Bay. If not for The Raider's, A's Too Short and Hammer. You wouldn't hear much about the City. Just the Ugly side of the bay. I love Oaktown myself.

I used to grow up in and around Oakland early on myself. And if it wasn't for Oakland, the East Bay would have never had any affordable housing as far as the Bay Area itself goes (lowest affordable price would be $250,000). And what also makes Oakland great is that it is the hub of BART, the major heavy rail system in the West coast.

Come to think about it, the only time Oakland got notoriety (and not in a good way) was when the Loma Preita earthquake struck back in '89. The double decker of the Nimitz Freeway (I-880) collapsed, and homes in West Oakland were damaged. I-880 would be rebuilt, unlike Embarcadero Skyway in Frisco, but not in the original spot, but one half a mile west of there - now called Cypress Freeway.

Dallas County has a higher population than Bexar County, since Dallas County has several more suburbs located in it.

The following are Texas County populations as of 2000 census:

1. Harris County (Houston) - 3,401,000

2. Dallas County (Dallas) - 2,219,000

3. Tarrant County (Fort Worth) - 1,446,000

4. Bexar County (San Antonio) - 1,393,000

5. Travis County (Austin) - 815,000

We should add the land mass sizes of the counties and cities. At about 300 sq m, (really 285 because of the GTF) its a wonder that Dallas has been able to keep up with SA(505 sq m) through mostly inner city growth the last few years. Harris County is much larger than Bexar and Dallas County, and Houston at over 600 sq m is close to the size of Dallas County, 800 sq m. In other words Dallas has no choice but to grow up now. Will be interesting to see if it keeps pace with SA. The NCTCOG estimates are higher than those of the census bureau though, so maybe it was never passed. The only thing we know is that the DFW metroplex is now one census metro and no long a CMSA. Not surprising as the northern cities between FW and Dallas are the booming suburbs now, so many commute cross county now. Its strange that it actually accelerated and is widening the gap as the largest Texas metro and will probably approach top 5 metro numbers by the end of the decade and no one knows it.

The only thing we know is that the DFW metroplex is now one census metro and no long a CMSA. Not surprising as the northern cities between FW and Dallas are the booming suburbs now, so many commute cross county now. Its strange that it actually accelerated and is widening the gap as the largest Texas metro and will probably approach top 5 metro numbers by the end of the decade and no one knows it.

Yes, Dallas-Ft. Worth is now its own MSA.

But there is a CSA composed of the following:

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Combined Statistical Area

Athens, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area

Gainesville, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area

Granbury, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area

Mineral Wells, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area

Not sure what the population of Dallas' MSA is as opposed to its CSA.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the Grand Rapids metropolitan area is the most over looked region in the upper Midwest.  Sandwiched between two juggernauts Chicago and Detroit, and the Grand Rapids- Muskegon-Holland area has been overlooked as an important economic, educational, and political hub even though the numbers prove this urbanized region to be just as important.

Population 2000    1999-2000 % Change

Grand Rapids:    1,088,514    42.48 %

Chicago:              8,272,768                -30.88 %

Detroit:                4,441,551                - 1.29 %

Cleveland:          2,250,871                -6.89 %

Columbus            1,500,741                  36.28 %

Job Growth 1970

I don't get comments about comparing city size by city population. its irrelevant. Yes Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, it's the largest city in land area in the nation. What matters is the metro size. I mean can you really compare Jacksonville with Tampa and Miami?

Columbus is the largest "city" in Ohio with 700,000+ residents while Cleveland and Cincy continue to slide in population, but Columbus has continued to annex land like manu other cities, while traditional large cities can't grow their land.

So is Columbus metro pop 1.5-1.6 million close to the size of Cleveland-Akron, 2.9 million? The metro is the reality.

Does anyone actually go to Orlando, or do they just go to Disney World and Epcot?

I don't see the appeal, really -- it doesn't even have a beach.

They also go to Universal, Sea World, I-Drive, Wet'nWild, Kissimmee, Winter Park, Downtown, etc.

Like most of Florida, Orlando was a tourist draw before Disney. I won't downplay the importance Disney plays to the local economy, but it isn't all there is. Orlando is a great city with a small town feel to most of it.

Also, Cocoa Beach is for all intents and purposes part of the Metro Orlando area. There's plenty of beaches within an easy drive. They also have some of the best lakes in the state.

• 2 months later...

In one year Chicago lost one third of its population and Columbus gained by one third?

Chicago really lost a third of its population in one year that would be millions of people and it would be unprecedented. I duobt it and only St. Louis could pull a loss like that off. But Chicago is in the midwest and all midwest cities have fallen down so maybe it is true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE re-read the post, and read more carefully in the future so as not to waste people's time!

JBP

Micropolitan refers to a small city with big city ammenities and often big city costs and saleries. Common examples include Ithaca, NY, Burlington, VT, and various other small cities (note: these communities often have universities).

The census defines micropolitan in this way:

"Each metropolitan statistical area must have at least one urbanized area of 50,000 or more inhabitants. Each micropolitan statistical area must have at least one urban cluster of at least 10,000 but less than 50,000 population."

The above cited micropolitan communities are considered MSA's by the Census. Understand this as you will.

I agree with you(the guy that said something about Miami extending its city limits).

I think Miami should defenitely do that,we should gather all of Miami Dade county and maybe Broward and become the largest city/county.If that would happen,ill be happy,then Miami will be the bes,and everybody could shut up.I dont agree with sunshine or mjcatl2 because jacksonville only has a bigger city population and not a bigger metro population.Besides if Miami was as big as Jacksonville,Miami would probably have a population like Atlanta or San Francisco.

Thats another story,Miami is one of the best places on Florida,people just look at the negative side.

Houston is the most over looked. I think if you ask the everyday person whats the largest city in texas they will say Dallas because its gets more tv time and every thing. Walker the Texas Ranger. Dallas Cowboys JFK shooting and a bunch of other things. Houston has NASA but nobody really cares about that. ppl are more interested in entertainment than science.

Archived