Greenville Floods!

Spartan

I just saw on the news that Greenville has flooded. A storm this morning parked itself over downtown Greenville, and dropped between 7 inches to a foot a rain. By noon, the Reedy River was 5 feet over flood stage. And the day is still young. Greenville is likely to get more rain today (July 29).

Here are some images:

3592602.jpg

Reedey River Falls Park

3592678.jpg

Duke Power had to shut this substation down. Several thousand are without power.

3592697.jpg

Hudson Street

3592833.jpg

the bottom of Reedy Falls

3592900.jpg

Academy St. Bridge

3593140.jpg

Cleveland Park

3593140.jpg

Some kayakers enjoying the high waters.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forums motonenterprises! I'm glad to hear that nothing was damaged too much. Is this the bridge you are talking about:

fallpark.jpg

For people who aren't from the area, it should be noted that while this was the worst flood of the Reedy in a while, it is certainly not the first. The joke is that if you spit into the river enough, it will flood.

Here are some other photos of a past flood (1995) that I came accross. It will also give you some perspective of the extent of the flood yesterday.

cpnets.jpg

Pic-nic shelter

cpairp2.jpg

Normal

cpairplane.jpg

3593168.jpg

pavil2.jpg

Normal

cpfootbrg.jpg

3595361.jpg

cpfalls.jpg

Reedy River Falls from the Camperdown Way Bridge (that bridge no longer exists, and in its place is the curved Liberty Bridge.)

falls1.jpg

This is how the river normally looks. Compare that to this:

3595361.jpg

This is likly taken from the Main St bridge, which you can see in the previous picture.

cbridge.jpg

This is the normal look for Reedy River Falls. Compare that to this:

3592602.jpg

Liberty Bridge

Archived