Downtown Greensboro Construction

Spartan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank You for your comments.:D I'm always glad to share my photo with all of you. I really love the live-work concepts. Its great for singles or families that dont want to maintain a yard. You caould easily walk to the restuarants, nightclubs, comdey club and so much more without having to get in a car.

i love the live/work units! other sunbelt cities should take a cue from that and use the construction of those units as a type of recruiting tool for retail/residents. this could solve a lot of retail problems that you see in downtowns and eventually make a downtown more organic. Great shots, cityboi.

i love the live/work units! other sunbelt cities should take a cue from that and use the construction of those units as a type of recruiting tool for retail/residents. this could solve a lot of retail problems that you see in downtowns and eventually make a downtown more organic. Great shots, cityboi.

Yes I agree the live-work concept is key to attracting more services and retail to downtown. We shouldnt wait on big department stores like Belk or JC Penny to move back downtown but we should build on the small retail businesses and support those businesses.

I think once the ballpark is complete, it will be the finest in the Sally League. Hopefully it well help boost Greensboro to AA. Thats where Greensboro belongs.

monsoon, yes you must get back up here. Things are happening fast in downtown and the new microbrewery/restuarant just opened yesterday at Hamburger Sqaure on South Elm Street. Its really exciting to see all this unfold. :D

Cityboi, I am always anxious to see how things are going in the Triad area. Your photos are really nice and I loved your panoramas!!! The ballpark project seems to move pretty fast and Southside is beginning to show its strength. Not only the work/live units will provide excellent venues for those who desire such option, but they will help strengthen the retail/small business/main street economy that made this country's economy strong (before large corporations took over). I like what I see around DT Greensboro and I hope other cities (like Raleigh) become more aggressive in bringing similar projects to their centers. Projects like Southside testify that each NC city has something different to offer and can become a leader in urban (re)development. Great thread.

• 3 months later...

Man, all that development is going up so fast! I haven't been down there in several months (I recently moved from Greensboro to Charlotte) and it looks like things are just flying up! I am moving back to Greensboro soon and seeing all this new development makes me want to get back even faster! I miss the Green Bean, all the great parks and the great restaurants in Greensboro!

by the way Welcome to the forum! :)

I use to have an animated beaker avatar but I lost the file.

I noticed that Charlotte's arena is also well on its way. I was surprised by how fast that arena is rising. It should be a great magnet for development in the uptown area. NBA games, ACC hoops, concerts and even the circus all in uptown Charlotte! Have they decided what they are going to do with the old convention center yet?

by the way Welcome to the forum!  :)

I use to have an animated beaker avatar but I lost the file.

I noticed that Charlotte's arena is also well on its way. I was surprised by how fast that arena is rising. It should be a great magnet for development in the uptown area. NBA games, ACC hoops, concerts and even the circus all in uptown Charlotte! Have they decided what they are going to do with the old convention center yet?

Thanks! Beaker was cool. I love the muppet show!

Yeah, the arena is going up really fast. The last time I looked at it was about a month ago when I took the trolley down to sixth street. There is all kinds of development going on uptown. I go to CPCC right now, so I have noticed that in addition to the new buildings that CPCC is putting up, there is also new development farther along Elizabeth av. as well as all over the rest of uptown.

I don't know what will be done with the old convention center other than they don't want to tear it down. There's a big auto show going on right now there through the weekend. They even have a Maybach! I'm gonna check it out on saturday.

Thats pretty cool. Im always amazed at how much Charlotte has changed over the past 15 years or so. My sister went to Kings College back in the late 80s and I attended UNC-Charlotte back in the late 90s. I stayed in two of the 4 high-rise dorms (Holshauser and Sanford halls). UNC-Charlotte is a great pedestrian campus and you work up a sweat walking from the dorm to the classes but I loved my college experience down there.

• 4 weeks later...

i took amtrak from Raleigh to Charlotte last week and was really impressed with the view of Greensboro on the way through. You could see the smothers lofts, i believe, from the train. that development looks awesome and will really complement downtown well. it was dark and rainy so i couldnt make out much. We passed the busy bus terminal downtown and then went on to the crappy amtrak station. an old railroad fanatic/usher i was speaking to went on and on about how beautiful the old greensboro train station is and how its the future amtrak stop??. you see the greensboro skyline really well from the train, unlike the interstate.

if you ever want to see NC from a different point of view, take amtrak. i saw so many small towns ive never been to...and its only about 15 bucks each way between raleigh and charlotte.

It's really neat to take the train. I took Amtrak last thanksgiving from greensboro to Charlotte. I had a good time other than the delays because that day happened to be the busiest day of the year for that Amtrak line. There were several people who were coming all the way down from New York to Charlotte.

I've never been on Amtrak before but I'm glad the railroad tracks go right through downtown where you can see the best view of Greensboro's skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must agree.... Amtrak is a great way to see our country period. I took it for the first time this Thanksgiving from Charleston, WV to Charlottesville VA where I had a 5 hour layover (and I might add, Charlottesville is an incredibly cool town... if any of you ever have a chance, check out thier main street). The second train went from Charlottesville to Charlotte. The first leg's highlights were the breathtaking views of the New River Gorge, and the second leg was great for all the NC towns, including Greensboro. I went to UNCG for two years and it brought back memories from my time there. Great views of downtown.

Archived