By DAN CHAPMAN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/31/04

JEKYLL ISLAND

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

The peaceful future of that area is in serious doubt. We're working on two major developments right now in the Brunswick region and a market analysis study we did, indicated that the area is ripe for many more similar typed developments.

Its been years since I've been to Jekyll, so I don't remember too much of it, other than the waterpark we went, back in 1995. I've also never been to the "actual" city of Brunswick, but many claim it's Old Town district is a smaller version of historic Savannah. Maybe I need to make the hour drive up from Jax to check out the place.

The peaceful future of that area is in serious doubt.  We're working on two major developments right now in the Brunswick region and a market analysis study we did, indicated that the area is ripe for many more similar typed developments.

Its been years since I've been to Jekyll, so I don't remember too much of it, other than the waterpark we went, back in 1995.  I've also never been to the "actual" city of Brunswick, but many claim it's Old Town district is a smaller version of historic Savannah.  Maybe I need to make the hour drive up from Jax to check out the place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a very small town atmosphere. It reminds me of Fernandina or Mayport in some aspects as well. You definitely need to check it out to see what you might be impacting.

• 7 months later...

Just went to Jekyll/St. Simon's Islands this Spring Break. It's true, the area is booming.

Glynn County is trying to use these places to their full potential. Unfortunately, it is destryoing some of the islands' natural beauty in the process. Condo and hotel builders are trying to cheat St. Smon's Island's height limits in all sorts of ways.

• 1 year later...

I last visited Jekyll Island around 1994 and the island was as beautiful and charming then as it has always been. It's a shame that everything comes down to making a dollar in this country these days. Jekyll Island is perfect the way it is and is better off left alone. Maybe those hotels can be renovated or replaced with new hotels but otherwise leave everything else alone. Jekyll Island is a rare jewel on the east coast and the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up going to Jekyll, and now we go to St. Simons on our annual vacation. Jekyll has seemed to go downhill. Almost all of the developements are 20+ years old and in need of demolition or renovation. I think the old Ramada has been demolished.

Jekyll has never had beachfront condos nor should it. But you can have a resort that's off the beach and still have a great resort.

The bike paths and golf courses have always been part of the fun of Jekyll, and if you lost that wilderness feeling, it wouldn't be Jekyll.

And the "retail" is in dire needs of updating. Yikes! I think the pier-type setting on St. Simons would be great at Jekyll where there is the HUGE parking lot next to the convention center.

Archived