IMG_1419.jpg

David Stott Building

IMG_1420.jpg

Broderick Tower

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

The two new stadia have taken the place of several blocks worth of abandoned buildings

IMG_1428.jpg

Tiger Stadium now sits vacant

IMG_1429.jpg

Michigan Central Station sits alone, waiting for some sort of miracle to save it. It is supposed to be the new headquarters of the DPD, but time will tell whether that's just another dream, or will actually become a reality.

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Newly renovated buildings along Woodward Avenue

IMG_1433.jpg

Cass Tech High School

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

SBC Building

IMG_1437.jpg

The End. :)

Part I

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The David Stott Building is one of Detroit's architectural treasures...one of my favorites. Completed in 1929, the building is 32 floors and 437 feet tall. At one point during the 1990s, the owners of the building did not pay the electricity bill, and the electricity was shut off. After trying to raise money to pay the bill, the tenants moved out, vacating the building. In poor shape, the building faced demolition; however, new owners bought the building and began renovating it.

I was in the building two weeks ago, and things are looking much better. Floors 15-32 are almost fully leased, although floors 2-14 remain unoccupided. The building's main problem is that it has small floor plates, which makes attracting large tenants difficult. This is the case with most of the older skyscrapers in the city, which is why most of them remain Class B or C office space.

I definately agree about the ballpark. If I were building the park, I would've pushed it up right against Woodward, with the parking in the back. I would've built two parking garages with street level retail. Additionally, I would've incorporated the old YMCA, and possibly the Wolverine Hotel that into the park, creating apartments, condos, and a small hotel. The YMCA & the Wolverine Hotel were both demo'd for the two parking lots out front.

Archived