Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

Guardian's occupancy rate soars

Guardian's occupancy rate soars

Aggressive lease offers, renovations draw tenants

b029-Guard2-0704y.jpg

The Guardian, at Griswold and Congress, is among several downtown skyscrapers that have drawn new office tenants over the last three years.

b029-Guard1-0704y-2.jpg

Security guard Linda Futch works in the main lobby of the Guardian Building, which is undergoing $800,000 in renovations that include a retail mall.

R.J. King / The Detroit News

DETROIT

What is in the book tower? It looks completely neglected and I see some A/C units coming out of the windows, so I thought it was being used as residential.

Book Tower is being used as offices, although it would make an awesome apartment building. The occupancy rate was around 55%, but last year the owner started moving tenants from the neighboring Book Building into Book Tower so that the Book Building can be converted into 150 loft apartments. Hence the occupancy rate is likely to be higher now. I do know that there is only one reliable elevator in the building, which would be a major drawback for anyone who has offices there.

If you really want to know what's located in the building, you can check out http://www.booktowerdetroit.com/.

Supposedly if you walk in to the building and go straight to the elevators so that it looks like you know what you're doing, you can go to the top, although I'm sure you wouldn't be able to get onto the roof without a key.

That seams backwards, I would think with the size of the floors for the book tower, they'd make great lofts and they should leave the building offices. I'm really surprised in a good way the occupancy rate is that high. Especially since the guardian was down as low as it was.

That's funny about just walking in the building and getting in the elevators!

Thanks for the link. I'm trying to get all the Detroit building links and didn't know this existed. Could you create a sticky in the Detroit thread for links?