Worst Cities to Navigate

Cotuit

Japanese cities are fascinating in that most streets there don't have names, and houses are numbered by order built rather than street position.

Never knew that about Japanese streets, order built is very interesting, like a 3-D history tour come to life on every street.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington, DC is a grid with a few diagonal streets cutting across it.

San Francisco is also a grid -- actually two different ones that meet at Market Street.

Why would either of these be especially hard to navigate?

DC gets my vote.

Well grids are pretty easy to navogate... if they were all two-way. I know one time I could swear all the streets in Dc lead to the river because I couldn't find one that went north. Then there's the traffic on those streets... ugh.

I see Richmond made it to 44. Well people complained the same thing that we have too many one-way streets. But they are logical and easy to learn. What I hate is the south side of Richmond which has Manchester's old grid, but beyond that it becomes confusion especially in Chesterfield. At times I feel I have to get a travel agent to go over there. Let's go north to go southwest! It's all a bunch of giant loops and circles to me. On the north side of the James, it's pretty orderly, even the country roads ot Henrico and Hanover. They lead one direction not several and let's hope you get there like across the river.

It's not particularly big but my city isn't known for being that easy to navigate. Although parts of it are set on a grid a lot of the older roads followed old trails or were influenced by the hilly topography. But perhaps the one thing that bothers people most is the fact that for some odd reasons streets will disappear for quite a bit of the city only to suddenly pop back up on the opposite side. Those can be frustrating because ulness you're really familiar with the city you don't know which side of the city to check if you're looking for a particular address.

Archived