Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emerging.me

Public Art in Your City

I thought it'd make a cool thread if everyone posted prominent public art from their hometowns or favorite cities. I'll start! Here's a look at the "Tunnelvision" mural and a sculpture called "Busted Plug" in Columbia, South Carolina -- both by local artist "Blue Sky."

tunnelvision.jpg

hydrant1.jpg

Great idea... to bad people haven't posted more images.

I don't know how to post and have not quite grasped how to 'image-host' yet.

But I would post some of my favorite Public art if I could!.

The exploding fire hydrant is nice... but I really liked the tunnel one -- great way to incorporate form with functionality.

Providence WaterFire

Waterfire007.jpg

Waterfire005.jpg

I guess I have to get out and take some photos of more local art.

Wow -- are those fire islands buring year round? That is really cool -- does Providence need to worry about boaters or anyone crashing into one of them?

It looks like I have to dig around to find some pics of Detroit artwork. Detroit has a lot of public art, so I have quite a few pics. It's just a question of where I actually put them. I only have a small fraction of my architecture photos here. The rest are still back in Flint.

Great pics so far! I especially like the fire on the water!

Wow -- are those fire islands buring year round?  That is really cool -- does Providence need to worry about boaters or anyone crashing into one of them?

They do it several times a year. Someone (some company) has to sponsor it. It costs about $10,000 for each performance. The city and state put up some funds every year, the rest comes from sponsors. The number of WaterFires per year depends on the number of sponsors. Last year there weren't too many, but this year we've had quite a few.

They run from sunset to midnight or 1am, and are set to music.

If you ever have a chance to come to Southern New England, try to plan your trip around a WaterFire, they are stunning!

WaterFire Website

Dallas

Some I took around 3-4am last week

68941.jpg

68940.jpg

Goodlattimer tunnel. saddly, this will be filled in for a DART LR station

51236.jpg

70316.jpg

51271.jpg

51244.jpg

okay guys... I am slowly mastering the art of image hosting and getting really excited about posting new images of Chicago for you to all see..

Here are few of the public art images that I am currently researching. I am writing a paper on murals in my neighborhood, their history, creation, life, destruction, etc. My neighborhood is rapidly being gentrified and this proud Puerto Rican community is fighting hard to claim this space as their own. Here is a picture of the banderas:

bandera-east.JPG

banderas.JPG

it is a metal structure and it is huge .. there are two of them that grace the beginning and end of Paseo Boricua, a main street of sorts that acts as the heart of the community.

Here is also one of the countries oldest intact murals. It was painted in 1971 and is believed to be the oldest community created mural that still exists in its original form:

breakingthechains.JPG

Interesting flag hanging across the street josita. Nice neighborhood as well! Is that the EL I see in the distance in that first pic?

getting really excited about posting new images of Chicago for you to all see..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm excited too, can't wait to see more.

-- sorry the pictures are so pixelated .. I thought they would come out a little clearer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They look fine. :thumbsup:

This is a cool mural in Bellows Falls called "Living History". It depicts downtown from 1910. If going into downtown from the south, you see the mural of the past just before you get to the modern downtown. The clock tower you see has since been burned down and rebuilt.

d2820b5f.jpg