Marriot Renaissance Center

turlough

Marriott Renaissance Center (GM Building)

The complex consists of the 725f tall Marriott Renaissance Center tower 73 stories, 1977 and four smaller towers called Renaissance Center 100, 200, 300 and 400 each are 535f 39 stories, 1977.In 1981, two identical 21-story towers were added to the Renaissance Center,called Renaissance Center 500 and 600 The Marriott Renaissance Center Tower is the tallest hotel of the United States and has 1,300 guest rooms.

detroit.jpg

ren-cen.jpg

skyline.jpg

detroit05.jpg

detroit04.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marriott Renaissance Center (GM Building)

The complex consists of the 725f tall Marriott Renaissance Center tower 73 stories. The Marriott Renaissance Center Tower is the tallest hotel of the United States.

Actually if we go by official heights then the Marriott is only 713 feet which means the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel in Atlanta is the tallest hotel in the US standing at 723 feet.

The 725 foot measurement is from another side of the Marriott which doesnt count for its true height.

This is a great building though, I like how it kept itself all in one complex and not spread out all over the place. It feels like a big corporate city by itself. Great building, great complex, great everything!

Maybe it's not the tallest hotel in the United States, but I like to think it is. It is, however, the tallest building in the state of Michigan. This is one of my favorite buildings. I just wish Detroit had more modern architecture. I like the historic architecture - it's one of the city's greatest assets - but I think it would be even better if they put some new glass towers on all those surface lots.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i have....and its a mess in there. GM has done some good work on reorganizing the layout there, but its still really confusing to a visitor. hell, try walking there on foot without the use of the people mover (which is out of the question now anyway)

Also the Rencen did a fairly good job of sucking up the little remaining retail in the immeadiate area into its massive structure.

So my opinion, in the past it was a horrible pedestrian friendly complex, GM is working to make it so-so

Remember this is froma pedestrian perspective, from a building dorks standpoint, that's entirely different

• 4 weeks later...

Archived