Best Shot Of Downtown Columbia

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice! I'm guessing that was taken somewhere over near the 77 loop and I-26? Good stuff. I noticed a great (farther away) view of the skyline last week when visiting a friend's house -- from White Knoll High School. Very cool view from there... may post a pic eventually.

Matthew that's what I was thinking. It does remind me of Atlanta but w/o all the highrises.

and your'e right emerging it was taken off of I-77 beltway, however I didn'y take the photo. I'd love to see that pic of the skyline out by White Knoll!

I really like that photo b/c most pics you see of the skyline only show the cluster of buildings in the middle of the skyline. This pic gives you the entire view.

Nice! That is definately a great view of Columbia's skyline. I've never thought about it looking like Atlanta before, but it kinda does. I like how you can see the BofA Plaza and the federal buliding (far left- white), which are not seen in most pictures of Columbia. Too bad there aren't any 500 footers :) I think That Columbia needs a bulding with a spire, or at least an angled roof of some sort (kinda like BofA in Atlanta).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey... I just found this site while surfing for pictures of downtown Columbia.

I thought I'd share a few that I took.

This one is from Finlay park... I had to snap about 50 pics in continuous mode to get this shot with the lightning illuminating everything.

columbia%20lightning.JPG

This one is from the West Columbia side of the riverwalk.

Gervais%20Street%20Bridge.JPG

And last, but not least....

nite1border.JPG

Now these have been photoshopped a little... In the first pic, I photoshopped out the chess tables and some power lines. In the second pic, I took out the Dick Smith billboard, cleaned up some power lines, and cloned out a tree. In the third, I took out a part of the ledge of the parking garage that I took that from.

These are lo-res small pics. I have higher res versions of all of them. I just wanted to be "modem-friendly" ;)

Let me know what you think.

Awesome pics! I hope you'll stick around and be part of our little group... at least long enough to share some more cool photos. :) 

These are awesome images. Nice Photoshopping!  That Dick Smith billboard has GOT TO GO! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree... It would a lot nicer coming in from West Columbia across the Gervais St. Bridge if they would clean it up a little. I wish they'd remove the billboards and take out that big power pole.

Anyhow, I'll be sticking around for a while. Thanks for the comments on the pictures :)

You couldn't take one off of the SE beltway (I-77) at dusk could ya? I'd love to see how that looks at night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might be able to do that sometime. I don't find myself in that area very much but when I go out for the specific purpose of taking pictures again I'll try to get the shot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I dredged this one up from the murky depths since I just realized today that you get a pretty good view of the skyline on Colonial between the Colonial/Farrow junction and Harden. This isn't the best representation, but it'll do:

colonial_skyline.jpg

It's cool how the cupola of the Babcock building is prominent from this perspective.

You arn't alone there... I used to park in Pendlton Garage, so sometimes I would just drive up to the top to check out the view. Also, I had a meeting once with a professor on the 8th floor of the Humanities Tower and I was rather distracted from the conversation by the awesome view :) There's a lot more stuff going on just east of downtown than most people realize in terms of mid-rises.

Archived