Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

1001 Woodward gets Makeover

Last I heard, crews were just starting to prepare the required buildings for demolition. The only building of any architectural merit being lost is the Freud Building; however, ground floor retail space is to be included in the plan. 1001 Woodward LLC has made the garage larger than the 468 spaces originally planned, which has pushed the height to 10-12 floors instead of eight. As for the condos planned, they will be in a great location, and are a good solution to the occupancy problem that the building is experiencing.

Sunday, August 8, 2004

Another downtown Detroit building gets makeover

By R.J. King / The Detroit News

DETROIT

Crews put up fences around the block at about 3 PM this afternoon, so it looks like the demolition work will be starting next week.

I wonder how all the people who mill around in front of the Hughes and Hatcher building felt about being kicked out of their spot? I know one guy was arguing with the guys putting up the fence, lol.

Never understood why folks like to chill in that corner. Anyways I'm glad to hear the development of 1001 is moving forward.

I don't really like the idea of demolishing the Freud building, but this will add density. Plus, I have heard that it is actually suppsed to be a good-looking parking garage.

The deck is supposed to have ground level space for stores and things. Also it's supposed to be structurally sound for an office building to be built on top of it. I don't think I have a problem with things getting demoed as long as there is a plan for the space.