Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShowMeKC

How do cities becom independent?

I have had an idea that it would benefit KCMO and KCK if the two cities became independent cities like STL city and Anchorage... And so I was wondering how a city becomes independent from it's county(s).

KCMO is located in 3 counties

KCK is located in 1 county

Combined they have a population of nearly 600,000 (in 2000) and combined they would have a much much larger income because no money would be diverted to the counties, it'd all go to the city and the state.

Can anyone answer my question?

It would take an act of the state legislature I'm sure, and maybe even voter or legislative approval on the local level.

You say that no money from the city--I guess you mean county taxes paid by city residents in whatever particular county they also reside in--would then go to the county. Of course, the reverse is also true--no county taxes would go to the city. I have no idea whether it would be a wash.

I imagine though that if KC ever became an independent city, it would be very difficult for it to annex any land since it would in effect be reducing the size of whatever county it annexed into.

Are you talking about KCMO and KCKS consolidating? You mentioned something about their having a combined pop. of 600,000. That, I think, would require an act of Congress--for one state to cede land to another.

the combining of KCK and KCMO is just a wild idea... I don't think either state would cede the land to the other, Kansas City would just be located in both states.

If you didn't know, KCMO has 313.5 square miles of land, about 1/2 that land (or maybe less than half) is occupied and the rest is vacant forests or just farms. So it'd be good if we couldn't annex any more. The sprawl needs to be stopped and this is one way to do it, and have tons of other benefits also.

I was saying, if we became an independent city... No one in KC would have to pay additional taxes to the counties... So the taxes being paid to the county would then go directly to the city instead. Along with having taxes go to the state...

And if KCMO and KCK combined, the two would both receive the state/federal grant money from both states since it'd be located in both states.

Just making a city stand alone (as in a county-level body) takes an act of the state government. You have the City of St Louis, which is not located in the County of St. Louis, but rather, it is a separate entity.... Baltimore is that same way.

But combining two cities from accross two states? Hmm... ask the folks down in Texarkana (AR/TX).

the combining of KCK and KCMO is just a wild idea... I don't think either state would cede the land to the other, Kansas City would just be located in both states.

If you didn't know, KCMO has 313.5 square miles of land, about 1/2 that land (or maybe less than half) is occupied and the rest is vacant forests or just farms. So it'd be good if we couldn't annex any more. The sprawl needs to be stopped and this is one way to do it, and have tons of other benefits also.

I was saying, if we became an independent city... No one in KC would have to pay additional taxes to the counties... So the taxes being paid to the county would then go directly to the city instead. Along with having taxes go to the state...

And if KCMO and KCK combined, the two would both receive the state/federal grant money from both states since it'd be located in both states.

KCMO and KCKS won't be the same city unless they're in the same state. The only thing they share is the same name. Other than that, they are no more the same cities than New York and Los Angeles--each of which has separate city governments in separate states.

And again, the county taxes flow both ways--no one in the counties would pay taxes that flow to KC.

Every state is a little different on this.

In Rhode Island there are no counties. So all cities and towns are independent.

No counties?!

Nope, there is just state government and municipal governments, no county government. There are lines on the map that represent where counties used to be, but that's all they are, lines on the map.

The counties are Providence, Bristol, Kent, Newport, and Washington. The southern part of the state is actually known as South County, but there is no South County, southern Rhode Island is Washington County. There are dozens of counties out west that are larger than the state of Rhode Island, we really have no need for that level of government.

Massachusetts has dissolved some of it's counties and I believe Connecticut has no county level government either.