No New Baseball Stadium?

emerging.me

Man... it would suck if we lost minor league ball in Columbia. Although, the Bombers stadium clearly isn't cutting it.

Plans for new Bombers stadium apparently fall through, could mean team to leave

(Columbia) Aug. 9, 2004 - The future for minor league baseball in Columbia has gotten dimmer. A plan to build a new stadium for the Capitol City Bombers has apparently fallen through.

Columbia Mayor Bob Coble says he thinks it means Columbia will lose the team. The team has said it can't continue to play in Capitol City Stadium, which they say needs a lot of work.

Team President Rich Mozingo says the stadium isn't visible enough, has beat-up bathrooms and small concession stands.

Coble says the owners have been direct about plans to move the team if the city could not find a better place to play, "They've done everything you could do, very up front and honest in terms of what their plans are."

The Bombers, a "A" league farm team in the New York Mets organization, were on Monday in first place in the South Atlantic League's Southern Division with a 29-14 record, a game ahead of the Charleston RiverDogs.

The mayor says the political will to spend money on a new stadium just wasn't there, "The proposal that I made in April, and we've been working on it for almost a decade it seems, where the Bombers and USC would share a stadium, that proposal I do not believe has the support from City Council to go through."

But, the mayor says the amount of money needed for a new stadium would require a bond for which he says there aren't the needed council votes. The proposed 6000 to 8000 seat stadium would have sat on the corner of Huger and Blossom Streets. The Bombers would have paid $2 million, and $12 million would come from city revenue bonds.

Coble says the city will continue to look at other options, including working with the University of South Carolina to have a stadium in downtown Columbia, "Dr. Sorensen has been very clear that if the numbers work, if Council's supportive, the university would like to have a shared stadium."

He expects additional proposals in the coming days.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang...... I would hate to see another baseball team leave SC (G-Braves decided to leave Greenville)

I hope that they can work a deal out to get that stadium built!

What base ball teams are in SC now?

Greenville Braves (last season! moving to Mississippi)

Captial City Bombers (Cola)

Charleston RiverDogs

Does Florence have one?

Dang...... I would hate to see another baseball team leave SC (G-Braves decided to leave Greenville)

I hope that they can work a deal out to get that stadium built!

What base ball teams are in SC now?

Greenville Braves (last season! moving to Mississippi)

Captial City Bombers (Cola)

Charleston RiverDogs

Does Florence have one?

I don't know about Florence but I know Myrtle Beach has one, the Pelicans.

Archived