Students surveyed think draft will resume

Cotuit

Students surveyed think draft will resume

By Associated Press | August 10, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Most US high school students believe the government will resume the military draft during their lifetimes, and shrinking numbers are optimistic about the country's future, a new poll has found.

Among teenagers polled, 55 percent say young Americans will be required to serve in the military, up from 45 percent last year, according to ''The State of Our Nation's Youth," an annual survey by the Horatio Alger Association.

During the year between polls -- May 2003 to May 2004 -- US casualties mounted during attacks in Iraq even after President Bush declared May 1, 2003, that major combat had ended.

President Richard M. Nixon halted the draft in 1973.

Pentagon leaders and numerous generals and admirals have said it should not be resumed because the volunteer military is more efficient.

Critics including Democratic presidential nominee John F. Kerry have accused the Pentagon of engaging in a ''backdoor draft" to compensate for manpower shortages in Iraq with wholesale mobilizations of National Guard and reserve units and other retention tactics.

In the poll, respondents were asked their views of a mandatory military service requirement of two years, and 70 percent of students were opposed.

Still, more young people than not said the United States was right to go to war in Iraq. The poll found 44 percent said the decision was correct, 33 percent said it was wrong, and the rest had no opinion or were unsure.

The students' outlook for the country was dimmer this year, but it remained relatively high, as 68 percent said they were hopeful. That was down from 75 percent last year.

More than two-thirds of students said they care who wins the presidential race, but two-thirds also said they have not closely followed news reporting about the race.

The Horatio Alger Association, which provides college scholarships to needy students, said the survey results were based on a telephone poll of 1,007 students in grades nine to 12, taken May 5-7. The students ranged in age from 13 to 19, although most were 15 to 17.

The survey has a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.

From The Boston Globe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously doubt they will do that. The fact is that there is a waiting list to get into the military. Our local recruiting office has more than met is goal for recruits. All that needs to be done is restore the numbers in the enlisted services (who volunteered). If I recall correctly, it was Clinton who downsized the military and weakened the Intelligence services.

We could just quit being the world's police and use our troops where they need to be.

I think that what needs to be realized about Iraq is that regardless of what you think about going in there, we are there- and pulling out would be a mistake this far into it. If you think Bush made a mistake- fine. But we're there now, so the question should be how to deal with it. If we pull out, we would look even worse to the international community.

I believe the draft will be reinsteated if Bush is re-elected because hes already making secret war plans for Iran. If we are involved in conflict with Afganistan, Iraq and Iran, that will certainly require the draft because our troops are already stretched thin. Korea is also on the president's list. I think we are fighting "World War III" or at least in the begining stages of World War III because notice that the "war on terrorism" hasnt been named yet and we've certainly got a long way to go on Bush's agenda. If he is re-elected, this nation will see debt levels beyond what was ever imagine and it could take decades to have the kind of surplus that Bill Clinton left us! If Bush is re-elected, say good bye to social security as well. I hope we can get use to the idea of working at Walmart at age 80.

The draft is a big deal, I don't wanna go! It's a needle in the haystack to get chosen but I hate the thought of a chance I'd have to go. I've got three and a half years before I won't be eligible, just enough time for Bush to reinstate the draft.

I think regardless of which candidate is chosen we can kiss social security goodbye. This country is so f'ed up it's going to take a LONG time to repair it.

I've already been shown a document at the Selective Service website that says the draft could return as early as next spring if Bush is re-elected. Just about everyone at UGA-Athens knows about it. The document is waiting on his signature in January. I didn't believe it at first, but then I saw the document with March 2004 as the start date! It's under the radar screen right now, but it's going around in e-mail and messenger on our campus. It will also raise the age by one year. Just one more reason to vote Kerry-Edwards this November.

Are there any other college students on this forum who have the link to the document at the Selective Service?

I've already been shown a document at the Selective Service website that says the draft could return as early as next spring if Bush is re-elected. Just about everyone at UGA-Athens knows about it. The document is waiting on his signature in January. I didn't believe it at first, but then I saw the document with March 2004 as the start date! It's under the radar screen right now, but it's going around in e-mail and messenger on our campus. It will also raise the age by one year. Just one more reason to vote Kerry-Edwards this November.

Are there any other college students on this forum who have the link to the document at the Selective Service?

is the draft age 18-25 or 18-26. I've heard both, which are correct?

I think democrats really should be making an issue out of this. Because it looks like to me Bush is planning to wait til after the election

Bush has not been truthful about other things and that should scare alot of people bewteen 18-25. One example is when he said he did not support "nation building" and that is exactly whats going on in Iraq. Hes saying there is no need for a draft but if he is re-elected just watch what he does, especially if Iran or Korea is added into the eqaution.

If Bush is reelected, it's going to be another Vietnam type of thing (half of us would be born during or after). On the other hand, I doubt he will get reelected, lest end up with the mandatory draft. I would hate to sign up for Selective Service and get chosen, then be disapproved the right to go to court to make the draft optional.

If the country is attacked again, with the intensity of a 9/11 then we will definitely see a draft. Otherwise I don't think it's very likely.

How many of you would volunteer?

It's been something on my mind lately. I've always said throughout my life that if the country really needed me I'd have no problem signing up. I'm older so I don't know if they'd take me anymore. Even though I oppose the war on terror and the Bush agenda, I'd have to think really hard to come up with an excuse not to join. At least it'd keep 1 more kid at home or in school.

You guys are forgetting there are alot of US-ass kissers out there, such as the English government. If a serious war broke out then Europe would have your back lol, so the draft wouldnt be that bad for you guys because we would be providing troops too.

In regards to fighting for my country, well Id sign up without thinking twice, under the right circumstance's though. If England was hit by terrorist's then I would join the army to help prevent it happening to future generations, but mainly because I would be pissed off and would want to kill them, but to go to war with a deprived country to out-power there president, I wouldnt find it nessersary for me to join.

Also, cityboi (I think you sed this.. either you or monsoon or somebody ;) ) How do you know all these 'secret' WWIII plans?

And I think if there was an international crisis and WW then the cut-off age would probably be 55, or thats how I see it anyways.

Archived