Students surveyed think draft will resume

Cotuit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my Senator... his name is Ted Kennedy, he holds the office vacated by his brother JFK when he became president. He's actually a drunken evil beotch who 'left the blonde in the pond' but the way he brings home our tax dollars (Big Dig et al) and beats the crap out of the Bush administration just makes me all weepy and proud.

The Kennedys wouldn't support the draft being reinstated but when called they never pulled a Bush or Cheney and avoided serving. His oldest brother was killed in action and John was a decorated hero in WWII. As we know John and Robert were later killed by assasins bullets, also in service to this great country.

I still say they won't bring back the draft any time soon. That would be extremely unpopular and many congressmen would get unseated.

btw, those bills are old, but they do exist.

I don't know. bringing the draft back during the Vietnam War was also extremly unpopular but they did it any way.

I do think that if record numbers of young people are registering to vote thats really good news for Kerry and that combined with the concern veterans vote, the labor union vote and the senior citizen vote would likely tip the election over to John Kerry. Polls show that Kerry is picking up steam in battleground states.

BTW, I've seen other polls that show that young people between the ages of 18-24 support Kerry over Bush for other reasons as well.

One thing I thought of that nobody has mentioned is that it was a poll of highschoolers. At my highschool, there weren't very many who cared at all about what was going on outside of "what did jenny and billy do on their date last night?" or the big football game on Friday. Also, it said that it polled in ages 13 to 19, but most were ages 15-17, which is under the voting age. Two-thirds said that they didn't even follow the news about the election clolsely.

All I'm saying is that I never really cared about politics at that age; I started to notice that it was interesting around the age of 17. So that fact that a 15 year old somewhere thinks that they might reintitute the draft doesn't concern me so much.

So that fact that a 15 year old somewhere thinks that they might reintitute the draft doesn't concern me so much.

It concerns me that this country is in such a state that our 13, 14, & 15 year-olds fear such a thing. They should be playing baseball and kissing girls.

Tell that to the over 925 dead Americans from Iraq and the more than 7000 maimed and seriously injured. (plane loads of injured are sent back every week) They, or their families will tell you that hand to hand combat is very real and very deadly.

I am not belittling their service to this country. In fact, I am very greatful for what they have done. It just seems that with the better technology, it has changed to more of a machine combat. Compared to fighting in the Civil War or even World War II, it has changed some.

Yes, the killing is much more efficient now.  35,000 Iraqis have also died since we went there to "liberate" them.

Most of which were insugent fighters who are attempting to kill Americans or their fellow Iraqis or behead foriegn journalists.

Most of which were insugent fighters who are attempting to kill Americans or their fellow Iraqis or behead foriegn journalists.

I hope that lets you sleep better at night...

If you saw an Iraqi tank roll down your street after a bomb destroyed your neighbors house, wouldn't you feel compelled to take action? Wouldn't you feel that is your patriotic duty? Sadly, America finds itself in the same place we were in Vietnam. EVERYONE in the country is beginning to hate us more and more as innocent people get killed because inevitably they do in war. Violence will beget violence and we will get sucked deeper and deeper because of the idiotic "steadfastness" of our president.

I only wish this president had served in Vietnam like he was supposed to and maybe he would understand the bad situation we are putting our sons and daughters in and not set them up to fail.

Well you can't very well call them 'people' or 'human beings' because the citizenry won't stand for it. Call them'terrorists', 'insurgants' or whatever and John Q Public can sleep better at night kidding himself that we are doing the right thing.

I say "most" becuase inevitably some civilians will be killed in war. If i had said "all," you would have said "prove it." But take a moment to consider how powerful our nation is, and how much more damage we could have inflicted. We use restraint.

You make it seem as if every house in Iraq is blown up by our tanks. If you had a dictator that would kll you if you spoke ill of him, if you didn't like the way he was running things, if you weren't his religion- you might be willing to put up witha little bit more.

I have no problem with the deaths of people who try to kill our soldiers. Its a fact of war- people will die. I agree that the reasons for this war were wrong- however, now that we are in there we have to stick it out. Do you honestly think pulling out of Iraq will make it all better? What will that accomplish?

Kerry just said that he can fight a more "sensetive" war. Lets see how that works out.

Did you know that when the Allies occupied Germany after WW2, the same types of thigns happened? Germans rioted against Allied control. They killed American soldiers. People weren't sure if Germany would ever be stable again. Nobody likes and occupying force. That fact is quite clear. Once things calm down in Iraq, we can pull our forces out of there. But like I said before- what will pulling out right this second accomplish?

There is a difference... in WWII we had the moral high ground. Nobody in Iraq believes we are there for the right reasons. Those claims are only bought 'hook, line and sinker' by...well... Republicans who support Bush unquestioningly.

This war is about coporate profits and the Iraqi's know it.

Do you honestly think pulling out of Iraq will make it all better? What will that accomplish?

What will staying accomplish? We need to leave Iraq.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a difference... in WWII we had the moral high ground. Nobody in Iraq believes we are there for the right reasons. Those claims are only bought 'hook, line and sinker' by...well... Republicans who support Bush unquestioningly.

This war is about coporate profits and the Iraqi's know it.

What will staying accomplish? We need to leave Iraq.

I was comparing the style of fighting, not the morals of each war.

I couldnt of said it better.One thing Ive heard so much of during the RNC is conservatives seem to think that we are so much safer, and Bush reacted so honorably after 9/11. IMO any president with half a brain would react the same way with enough anger to attack afghanistan, possibly better with more troops AND catching bin laden, than Bush did. Plus without sacrificing the American respect around the world that we lost so much of trying to go after Iraq. Now as many people have stated we are low on troops and this the draft has even become an issue. Thank you monsoon for expressing my opinion perfectly.

Archived