IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Building a new plan for old highway

Underneath the existing highway lie 19.2 acres of developable land, and by the time the half-mile stretch of highway comes down, the state and city hope to know what will be done with the valuable real estate.

2657796123_fd20237172_o.jpg

Noticed they have placed giant concrete tubes on the grass near the Wick/Benefit St. Shell station

Noticed they have placed giant concrete tubes on the grass near the Wick/Benefit St. Shell station

Good article. Nothing really new, but good to see everyone is still thinking in the right direction...

Also, driving on 195W, you can now see the beginning of "Park B" signage up on the pedestrian overpass that will eventually say India Point Park Bridge... It looks like a graffiti magnet ready to happen. I hope the graffiti van will be doing daily passes...

Good article. Nothing really new, but good to see everyone is still thinking in the right direction...

Also, driving on 195W, you can now see the beginning of "Park B" signage up on the pedestrian overpass that will eventually say India Point Park Bridge... It looks like a graffiti magnet ready to happen. I hope the graffiti van will be doing daily passes...

I noticed that too on my dialy commute to work. They shuld have put the fence on the walkway first before hanging that signage up. I expect it to have graffitti on it in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by this morning and alost had to pull off the road and vomit. That bridge is horrendus, just another missed oppurtunity. to actually insert some level of design into the relocation project. The lettering is a terrilble plastic mess, Thank goodness it isn't a longer bridge or they would probably have written "India Point Park FootBridge".

I for one would rather see graffiti on the side of the bridge.

I drove by this morning and alost had to pull off the road and vomit. That bridge is horrendus, just another missed oppurtunity.

I for one would rather see graffiti on the side of the bridge.

I wouldn't rather see the (inevitable) graffiti, but it's certainly disappointing design-wise. In the renders it looked fine, but it does look cheap, dated, and stuck-on.

And why, oh-why, of all of the underpromoting of geninue attractions here in Providence is the absolute biggest lettering and identification of a landmark aside from the Biltmore reserved for the India Point Park footbridge? This just screams ego and hubris from somewhere. I can't help but think that one of the India Point Park wack... uh, I mean zealo... Uh, I mean concerned citizens had a hand in this somewhere.

And, if you're tempted by the sign, what's the first thing of the park you see coming off the new Gano St. exit? A big asphalt parking lot! That's a great city park for you...

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't rather see the (inevitable) graffiti, but it's certainly disappointing design-wise. In the renders it looked fine, but it does look cheap, dated, and stuck-on.

And why, oh-why, of all of the underpromoting of geninue attractions here in Providence is the absolute biggest lettering and identification of a landmark aside from the Biltmore reserved for the India Point Park footbridge? This just screams ego and hubris from somewhere. I can't help but think that one of the India Point Park wack... uh, I mean zealo... Uh, I mean concerned citizens had a hand in this somewhere.

And, if you're tempted by the sign, what's the first thing of the park you see coming off the new Gano St. exit? A big asphalt parking lot! That's a great city park for you...

- Garris

I was stunned at first by the size, but I actually kind of like it. It creates an instant landmark, and not all landmarks are beautiful to all (hello blue bug).

I was stunned at first by the size, but I actually kind of like it. It creates an instant landmark, and not all landmarks are beautiful to all (hello blue bug).

aside from the state house, the blue bug is the most beautiful landmark in the state. they better not build something between me and nibbles. :P

At least there was some effort in conceptualizing the big blug bug. The only thought on the bridge was do I use Helvetica or Times Roman!!

Also, an instant landmark for what? Are they celebrating the fact that they actually teach spelling in the Providence Public Schools?

In a few years I am sure it will read "In da point pa k rid e"

I can't help but think that one of the India Point Park wack... uh, I mean zealo... Uh, I mean concerned citizens had a hand in this somewhere.

If you are interested in being part of a constructive effort to improve design at India Point Park, contact the Friends of India Point Park. FIPP has done HEROIC work saving trees, saving green space, improving landscaping, defending the character-defining elements in the park. Members of FIPP are also pretty horrified by the lettering, and there is some organizing underway to funnel citizen complaints about the design to DOT. Providence Parks Dept. has also been a strong ally on design and green issues.

Members of FIPP are also pretty horrified by the lettering, and there is some organizing underway to funnel citizen complaints about the design to DOT.

Oh please let's not. It is rather gaudy yes, but money was spent to fabricate and install it, can we just let it be and spend money on other things?

If I had my druthers, it would simply have said "Providence," but it says what it says in the font and point size it says it, let's live with it.

Oh please let's not. It is rather gaudy yes, but money was spent to fabricate and install it, can we just let it be and spend money on other things?

If I had my druthers, it would simply have said "Providence," but it says what it says in the font and point size it says it, let's live with it.

Why must we continue to let "good enough" be good enough?

the problem is the money was spent to buy and hang the sign, which was a surprise to everyone. sure, it's not the best, but it could be worse. it'd be wasteful to spend more taxpayer money to remove that sign and hang a new one.

The bridge and sign draws attention to the park and the waterfront as a place for recreation and access which is a good message to send to everyone speeding by at 65mph. So if you were new to the area our just visiting for the first time you might want to get off the highway and check it out.

Part of the goal for moving 195 is to provide continuous access to the waterfront from downtown to India Point and up the Seekonk River. This sign and new bridge promotes the access from the East Side.

Because we already bought and paid for it, if we suddenly find ourselves with massive surplus in next year's budget, then I'm all for ripping it down and putting up something less gaudy*.

the problem is the money was spent to buy and hang the sign, which was a surprise to everyone.

It was a surprise to no one, it looks just as the renderings of it depicted. If no one who had a stake in it cared to ask for more detailed renderings, color, size, font, materials then shame on them.

*Of course, gaudy is in the eyes of the beholder.

the problem is the money was spent to buy and hang the sign, which was a surprise to everyone. sure, it's not the best, but it could be worse. it'd be wasteful to spend more taxpayer money to remove that sign and hang a new one.

Agreed on not spending more money on this failure but if we just let this one slide through the gaps without showing concern / voicing our opinion, the powers that be will just assume that good enough is good enough. I would pefer to not see the sign on the bridge over Allen's Ave advertising "The Perversion Capitol of New England."

I have called 222-2023 and left voicemail's for Kazem ext 4020 and David Fish ex 4022 to voice my opinion of this installation.

Agreed on not spending more money on this failure but if we just let this one slide through the gaps without showing concern / voicing our opinion, the powers that be will just assume that good enough is good enough. I would pefer to not see the sign on the bridge over Allen's Ave advertising "The Perversion Capitol of New England."

I have called 222-2023 and left voicemail's for Kazem ext 4020 and David Fish ex 4022 to voice my opinion of this installation.

if what cotuit said is true (and i have no reason not to believe him), there was plenty of opportunity to voice opinions about this when the renders were released. perhaps, had enough people voiced their concerns about the look, it would have been altered.

if we don't voice our concerns before the work is done, we can't expect them to go and change things. sure, i understand what you're saying, but complaining after the fact does no one any good. i say take this loss and work on the next thing.

for what its worth, i didn't think it looked all that bad when i drove under it (haven't seen it completed though).

Does this set a precedent for future bridge signage? Welcome to the IWAY, Welcome to Vista Del Torre Archway(Members only Please), Welcome to RI Hospital Bridge Bldg.

Welcome to the New and Painted DDCenter, Welcome to the New People Mover AT TF Green Airport(2015 AD)

Remember, if they put up a small sign, somebody would be moaning that it's too small, why didn't RIDOT put up a bigger one, etc. If they put no sign at all, somebody would be crying that its a wasted opportunity, that RIDOT doesn't care, etc. Basically, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

And no, I do not work for RIDOT.

Remember, if they put up a small sign, somebody would be moaning that it's too small, why didn't RIDOT put up a bigger one, etc. If they put no sign at all, somebody would be crying that its a wasted opportunity, that RIDOT doesn't care, etc. Basically, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Forget the sign, I've heard people complain that the bridge itself is a waste of taxpayer dollars. "Why build a bridge, can't people walk down Gano Street?" I like the bridge, but really, can't people walk down Gano, or South Water, or the new Benefit underpass?

Forget the sign, I've heard people complain that the bridge itself is a waste of taxpayer dollars. "Why build a bridge, can't people walk down Gano Street?" I like the bridge, but really, can't people walk down Gano, or South Water, or the new Benefit underpass?

Here's something completely unresearched: is it possible that the walkway ended up as part of the highway grant. I know that there are all kinds of programs within federal funds for alternative transportation that are well-meaning, but in practice end up becoming this type of pork fat.

Similarly, this is one aspect of the bike lanes that is not discussed, as there is federal money involved there as well.

Again, shooting from the hip here, not sure if these programs actually affect these specific projects.

I finally saw the sign/bridge completely finished (well, the bridge isn't done but the sign part is). I have to say that I actually don't think it looks all that bad. The materials look a bit cheap and plasticy (probably because they are), but in general, it's a nice sign. If it brings more people to that park, I'd call it a success.

Now on the subject of the bridge being wasteful, I think brick might be onto something. However, I don't think it's that bad an idea. There are really only 2 points of access to this park, on either end of it. With this new bridge, there's a third, right smack in the middle. It makes the park more accessible, which is probably a big part of the reason why it's underused (ignoring the fact that all the highway construction makes it look like you can't get there).

Archived