IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

Just to clarify, I think there should be a bridge, and I think it should be as ostentatious as it is. The people I'm hearing from generally have the opinion that NO money should be spent on Providence because it is a cell pool, you know the type, real Rhode Islanders.

My reply was, why re-build 195 at all, if people can walk around the highway to get to the park, can't people drive through Pawtucket to get to EP and Seekonk? 95 to 495 to 24, why do we need 195?

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FHWA Enhancements Program pays for a lot of bike and pedestrian projects, and also for things like lighthouse restoration, landscaping, historic restoration, etc. RI has a very active enhancement program, paying for things like Station Park, Dutch Island lighthouse, Warren Ave streetscape in EP, the old Westerly town hall restoration, etc.

I think those "typical RIers" should be made to play 'reality frogger' across 195 to get to the friggin park. The rest if us can use the bridge.

The federal money (with minimal State match, if any) that paid for that bridge would simply go to another State.

I vote for a new State motto:

RI: Home of the most uneducated NIMBYs in the USA

- or -

RI - the BANANA Republic (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone)

The RI bill of rights =

We've been screwed by bad politicians and lawyers for so long, we now have the right to bash any idea whatsoever, regardless of who initiates it.

I think those "typical RIers" should be made to play 'reality frogger' across 195 to get to the friggin park. The rest if us can use the bridge.

The federal money (with minimal State match, if any) that paid for that bridge would simply go to another State.

I vote for a new State motto:

RI: Home of the most uneducated NIMBYs in the USA

- or -

RI - the BANANA Republic (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone)

The RI bill of rights =

We've been screwed by bad politicians and lawyers for so long, we now have the right to bash any idea whatsoever, regardless of who initiates it.

As one of the RI natives who takes great interest in the capitol city, and posts here regularly, I feel forced to say (and I'll likely be reprimanded by Cotuit again for doing so):

Lay the f*ck off now and then. We get it. You're from out out of state, and you think you're the only ones that can save us. Congratulations, you all must have worked extremely hard to become so flagrantly egotistical. I just hope you realize that by complaining about the locals constantly, you've become just like said locals that complain about everything.

As one of the RI natives who takes great interest in the capitol city, and posts here regularly, I feel forced to say (and I'll likely be reprimanded by Cotuit again for doing so):

Lay the f*ck off now and then. We get it. You're from out out of state, and you think you're the only ones that can save us. Congratulations, you all must have worked extremely hard to become so flagrantly egotistical. I just hope you realize that by complaining about the locals constantly, you've become just like said locals that complain about everything.

I actually think that the people who complain the most about the "typical" RI-er are some of the natives on the boards. I know a few of them that post regularly to this site who get more annoyed than many of us "carpetbaggers" at the ridiculousness of the opposition to even the smallest change.

I actually am not sure why you're so offended. You obviously do care and like the change and most certainly are not the stereotypical RI-er.

I actually think that the people who complain the most about the "typical" RI-er are some of the natives on the boards. I know a few of them that post regularly to this site who get more annoyed than many of us "carpetbaggers" at the ridiculousness of the opposition to even the smallest change.

I actually am not sure why you're so offended. You obviously do care and like the change and most certainly are not the stereotypical RI-er.

Well, just 'cause it's a matter of principle. Sure, I've come across plenty of suburbanite slobs here, but I know plenty of RI natives who are educated city dwellers also, or at least city friendly. I've come to love this place for the fact that it possesses both. It takes all kinds. Also, having traveled a lot in "Middle America", I can't honestly say the natives here are any more xenophobic than they are anywhere else. For that matter, we should be glad we at least have a sophisticated, vibrant capital city amongst our curmudgeonly suburban types. Most places don't even have that.

Well, just 'cause it's a matter of principle. Sure, I've come across plenty of suburbanite slobs here, but I know plenty of RI natives who are educated city dwellers also, or at least city friendly. I've come to love this place for the fact that it possesses both. It takes all kinds. Also, having traveled a lot in "Middle America", I can't honestly say the natives here are any more xenophobic than they are anywhere else. For that matter, we should be glad we at least have a sophisticated, vibrant capital city amongst our curmudgeonly suburban types. Most places don't even have that.

I think the issue here is that the typical RI-er might be quite different from the stereotypical RI-er. Think of the people who actually comment in the ProJo polls. The people who have nothing good to say about anything. While they might not represent most RI-ers, they are at least the vocal minority that everyone hears from.

I love RI. I consider myself a RI-er (came from the New Haven area). I hate going more than 15-20 min for anything. I also can't stand people who do nothing but complain about literally everything. Some people just can't be pleased. Those are the people we're complaining about, whether or not they represent the majority of RI-ers.

WRONG.

I'm a native. My parents are natives. 2 of my grandparents immigrated from Europe to RI in the 1910's as small children, the other half of my ancestry just before (great grandparents came from the Azores).

I'm not here to save anyone, but just like the galactically narrow-minded RI natives who beotch about every little thing about this State, I reserve the right to beotch about them. I love this place, and just because I live in the suburbs, doesn't mean I'm any less interested in most of the topics and things "urbanists" consider important. I love RI, I love Providence, but I also love the entire place that RI truly is, as a whole. I have chosen to educate myself on how things work and I have also learned that you get what you pay for. I still think living here is worth all the extra "costs."

Furthermore, just because we don't share the same opinion doesn't give you the right to tell me to lay off anyone.

Lastly, I kind of thought my last post was a little more funny, than offending.

• 1 month later...

PBN: "Planner chosen for I-195 area redevelopment"

http://www.pbn.com/stories/35441.html

"Cambridge, Mass.-based Chan Krieger Sieniewicz is expected to be named to lead the team that will study the economic and marketing feasibility of redevelopment scenarios when a section of Interstate 195 is removed from downtown Providence."

PROJO: "Mass. firm to develop plan for land under Route 195"

http://www.projo.com/news/content/HIGHWAY_...10.152ce4c.html

Glad to see it is finally set to open, albeit behind schedule. Providence has cetainly improved its image in the last decade - only 22 here, so I can't recall that much here from the early 90s.

It's frustrating to have the tax structure not be conducive to bringing in new businesses.

I believe it is extremely important to redevelop the old highway property properly, given the project's scope, investment and the impact the new development can have - for better or worse.

More changes ahead for Iway commuters

Work on the Route 195 relocation project known as the I-way is expected to affect commutes in the region for the rest of the year.

I'm confused... is this

Friday, Nov. 7: The DOT will close the Broad Street on-ramp to Route 95 south to allow final work on the new ramp from Route 95 south to Route 195 east. When the I-way project is completed, the DOT will build a permanent replacement on-ramp to Route 95 south at Point Street.

the ramp off the service road?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PROJO: "Exit from Route 95 to Route 195 shifts from left to right"

http://www.projo.com/news/content/ROUTE_19...27.3d51d9b.html

Frymaster says: "Any idea when the Washington Bridge bike/ped lane will open again? Henderson is now fantastically dangerous and PITA."

quote from projo: "In the coming weeks, the narrow catwalk on the bridge, which connected India Point Park to the East Bay Bike Path, will reopen. This was a favorite route of runners, cyclists and pedestrians heading between East Providence and the East Side of Providence."

:)

Archived