IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove the new ramp today, but didn't have a chance to check the view. I was too busy merging across to make the Gano exit.

I work on Point Street and live on Taber so I love the new on ramp and exit to Gano. Gets me out of the Wickenden mess and saves me tons of time. I do agree that getting over to the Gano off ramp is tough. I also worry about what options there are going to be to get to the East Side? Is the Gano exit it? Or are people going to be getting off on Point and all trying to get over the point street bridge in the morning to get to Brown?

Enough complaining, I like the span and the better merge patterns from 95N and 95S, looking forward to the next phase and final realignment.

The Gano ramp shouldn't be a problem for Brownies coming from the south, but I wonder how people from the north get to Brown now (or before the new alignment). I would imagine the Convention Center exit to Memorial, or even Branch Ave. and coming down to campus from the north are better bets than using Gano and heading into campus from the south. Of course RIPTA might be the best option of all.

The Gano ramp shouldn't be a problem for Brownies coming from the south, but I wonder how people from the north get to Brown now (or before the new alignment). I would imagine the Convention Center exit to Memorial, or even Branch Ave. and coming down to campus from the north are better bets than using Gano and heading into campus from the south. Of course RIPTA might be the best option of all.

I'd prolly use the State Offices exit rather than go through downtown. Depends on the time of day I suppose.

Huh!? You live on Taber and take the highway to Point St!? May I ask why !?????????????? All you have to do is take Taber/Gano St to Wickenden/Point St.

Other way around. Because of the new onramp at point and plain I can jump on 195 and get off on Gano. This way I don't have to drive down point and sit through all the lights at Eddy and on Wickenden to get to Gano. Basically it's a quick bypass to driving down Wickenden.

Other way around. Because of the new onramp at point and plain I can jump on 195 and get off on Gano. This way I don't have to drive down point and sit through all the lights at Eddy and on Wickenden to get to Gano. Basically it's a quick bypass to driving down Wickenden.

Yeah, that light at Eddy & Point St can be a pain during rush hour. Point St doesn't become Wickenden St untill you reach 195 where it vears off right towards South Main St. Your still on Wickenden St untill you reach Transit St where it then turns into South Main St. I use to live in a large apartment building at the corners of Wickenden & Transit St and for our address we used both 12 Wickenden St and 10 Transit St. Or was it the other way around. :blink: So I guess that on your way home it's pretty much smooth sailing, but going to work you never know what to expect on 95S. So do you want to sit in traffic on the highway or on Point St? :D I take it you work in the medical field.

• 3 weeks later...

If the DOT is selling it, does that mean the City could still buy it?

It is an open auction, I would assume the City of Providence can put in a bid for the land. For that matter any city could put in a bid. I think JWU should buy the property and put in a water taxi / ferry from the Down City Campus to the Fields Point Campus.

It is an open auction, I would assume the City of Providence can put in a bid for the land. For that matter any city could put in a bid. I think JWU should buy the property and put in a water taxi / ferry from the Down City Campus to the Fields Point Campus.

Why would that leave from Fox Point? I think you'd want to put the water taxi on the other side for that purpose. I think you're right though, that spot would be perfectly suited for some sort of ferry/water taxi service.

Why would that leave from Fox Point? I think you'd want to put the water taxi on the other side for that purpose. I think you're right though, that spot would be perfectly suited for some sort of ferry/water taxi service.

One the post was a joke, I would rather they invest, in a partnership with the City of Providence and the State of RI, to put light rail down Allen's Ave with a termination point right behind the campus on some of the newly opened land from 195.

Two, even if it were to be a realistic idea, we have all seen what happens to ferry's that try to navigate the hurricane barrier and acutally having people walk / bike from DownCity through the Jewlery District would not be a bad thing.

I'll be interested to see who buys and what plans are laid for this spot. I'm not sure what I think would be best there. The city could use either a tourism draw type venue (maybe an indoor/domed small amusement park - like one in Las Vegas that I went to) or something that adds to the tax roles and/or adds new jobs. On the other hand, expanding India Point isn't a terrible idea either, but offers no monetary benefits. The article does say that easements that allow waterfront access to the public would have to be honored, so I'm leaning more towards some sort of development here right now.

Maybe Michael Kent will buy it back and open a strip club.

I didn't know that he owned it in the first place. If I were to post on what type of man he is I would probably be banned from UP. But his record speaks for itself. Any man who paints the tree trunks on his land pink and yellow to spite his neighbors because they opposed the addition plans to his house ............................. well...............................................

http://www.projo.com/ri/northkingstown/con...95.3658b3c.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-55701346.html

I didn't know that he owned it in the first place. If I were to post on what type of man he is I would probably be banned from UP. But his record speaks for itself. Any man who paints the tree trunks on his land pink and yellow to spite his neighbors because they opposed the addition plans to his house ............................. well...............................................

There's a veterinarian in Clinton, CT who had some trouble with the town or the neighbors and as a protest, she painted every side of the house where her business was located a different color, but they were colors like a deep purple, bright orange, red, deep blue, etc. They weren't normal house colors. I thought it was brilliant. Of course that doesn't even come close to what this guy did.

There's a veterinarian in Clinton, CT who had some trouble with the town or the neighbors and as a protest, she painted every side of the house where her business was located a different color, but they were colors like a deep purple, bright orange, red, deep blue, etc. They weren't normal house colors. I thought it was brilliant. Of course that doesn't even come close to what this guy did.

This guy Kent is well know in Providence for being the kind of guy who would spend a million dollars on lawyer fees just to prove his point or to win a case. I did an internet search on him a few years ago and found out he pulled the same kinda stuff down in FL where he also owns clubs.

Oh he did so much more than that:

1. The cutting down of the trees and painting them was not for an addition but in fact for buying what he knew was an undersized lot and attempting to get a zoning variance to build a new house. When he was rejected due to neighborhood complaints he did the aforementioned. Then:

2. The following summer after yet again not getting his variance he had several large dump trucks deposit several large piles of manure onto the site. When neighbors complained about the smell and the town tried to have him remove the manure. He spent quite a bit of money fighting it saying he was within his right to have the manure on site due to the fact that he was using the manure for gardening which is allowed by right under the town's ordinances. When he finally lost that battle in court and shortly before he sold the Shooters property to the state, he:

3. Removed several large brightly colored steel palm trees from shooters and had them placed on the site as his own personal sculpture garden.

He was a creative pain in the &(^%*&^.

Oh he did so much more than that:

1. The cutting down of the trees and painting them was not for an addition but in fact for buying what he knew was an undersized lot and attempting to get a zoning variance to build a new house. When he was rejected due to neighborhood complaints he did the aforementioned. Then:

2. The following summer after yet again not getting his variance he had several large dump trucks deposit several large piles of manure onto the site. When neighbors complained about the smell and the town tried to have him remove the manure. He spent quite a bit of money fighting it saying he was within his right to have the manure on site due to the fact that he was using the manure for gardening which is allowed by right under the town's ordinances. When he finally lost that battle in court and shortly before he sold the Shooters property to the state, he:

3. Removed several large brightly colored steel palm trees from shooters and had them placed on the site as his own personal sculpture garden.

He was a creative pain in the &(^%*&^.

Expensive protest.

Archived